Crazy Shit in Videogames

JasonM

It could have been worse, though. I mean, they did drop hints. I mean, the language center of the brain bullshit was obvious bullshit. Even the prologue dropped hints; why would Joe McBandageface be the one telling Big Fucking Boss how to stealth?

"There were clues and gaps that were filled in... but this was a sudden twist that came out of nowhere"

:rolleyes:

Edited by OctoberRavenO

Yeah cause that's what I was saying and really needed you to be an asshole with the eye roll. The ending was blatantly intended as a twist, regardless of hints.

Spoiler

What I wanted was the story of BIG BOSS becoming who he became, because that seemed like it could be an interesting and complex story, not a cop out of it being someone else all along.

• Like 3

Gaps in the larger story that were filled in by the twist, I think he means. It was clearly done because they couldn't think any way to reconcile the story, not because it actually is a good idea that improves the story. They dropped hints in the phantom pain about the twist yeah, but that doesn't mean it wasn't still shit.

• Like 2

The story was fine the way it was because it told the story of Outer Heaven. We didn't really need to know Big Boss' motivations and reasoning because they were already spelled out for us. We've known it since MGS3. Big Boss is continuing The Boss' vision, which conflicts with the Philosophers/Patriots/Cipher/etc. Now, how the real Big Boss managed to form FOXHOUND would have probably been interesting, the problem is for him to have formed FOXHOUND he would not have had to have been the Big Boss of Outer Heaven. So yes, it actually does improve the story because without it, we'd never know how Big Boss was able to infiltrate the US government to form FOXHOUND and initiate his grand design.

This is hardly on the level of MGS2's deliberate M Nighting, or the actual pointless copout that was MGS4's "lol j/k Solid lives and gets to write poetry in the jungle" horseshit.

Edited by OctoberRavenO

Not crazy stuff programmed into the game so much as something I pulled off that I love to re-tell:

In Mass Effect 2, you do loyalty missions for your crew members. One of the crew is a Krogan named Grunt. If you haven't played the game, Krogans are the Mass Effect universe versions of Klingons from Star Trek, culture-wise (ie, pride in battle, honor in dying fighting, etc) except they're huge, bulky lizard men in armor. And they even got Michael Dorn to voice one of the Krogans you fight against in the game. For part of Grunt's loyalty mission, you have to help fight a bunch of Krogans to the death, including the one Michael Dorn voices. I was playing as an Infiltrator (Sniper with a stealth field whose shots do more damage while invisible), and I was about to fire a killing shot on the Krogan that Michael Dorn voiced, because his health had been whittled down enough for a stealth shot to kill him. I had the scope aimed at his head, but he turned around just as I was about to fire the shot, so I thought `why not', and lowered my aim. Capped him in the ass.

The way I killed him might not be so great or even funny, but....Imagine being from a warrior culture and dying in battle, only to have to deal with laughter in the afterlife when they ask how you died and have to answer you were killed by a shot to the right buttock.

• Like 2

Catherine. The game is split into two parts: Evening where you're at a bar and the storyline unfolds while you drink and talk to people and then in your character's dream where you are climbing a huge crumbling wall while dressed only in your pants.

There is plenty of weird stuff in the game but the craziest is that each night you're chased up the wall by an enormous, grotesque version of what your character has been thinking of that day - whether it's your gf, a foetus or a baby. All horrifying.

• Like 1