2017 MLB Thread

Meacon Keaton

Baseball is the ultimate game of averages and balancing itself out. On any day, the best team could, and will, get beat by the worst team. But throughout a whole season, the best teams will ultimately rise to the top of the standings and the worst teams will drop to the bottom. If you played ten or twenty games, it wouldn't correctly reflect the best of the best. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

Baseball is the ultimate game of averages and balancing itself out. On any day, the best team could, and will, get beat by the worst team. But throughout a whole season, the best teams will ultimately rise to the top of the standings and the worst teams will drop to the bottom. If you played ten or twenty games, it wouldn't correctly reflect the best of the best. 

And why the best team in the regular season wins the World Series less than half of the time.

The playoffs reflect the "short term" issue with baseball. It's why I've been adamantly against expanding baseball's playoffs when other people seem to be cheering it on. Get rid of divisions and just have the AL and NL and the two tops teams battle it out in the Series. That's what I'd love to see.

I personally support taking the season back to 154 games, everybody plays everyone in their league 10 or 11 times, and the best team in each league at the end of the season goes to the World Series. It'll never happen but this is one of those sports things I am very old school about.

This also lets them start the season a week later, preventing some possible cold April games from happening, and ending it the first week of October.

17 hours ago, damshow said:

I personally support taking the season back to 154 games, everybody plays everyone in their league 10 or 11 times, and the best team in each league at the end of the season goes to the World Series. It'll never happen but this is one of those sports things I am very old school about.

This also lets them start the season a week later, preventing some possible cold April games from happening, and ending it the first week of October.

What of the fact there's 15 teams in both leagues?  You'd either have someone sit out 3-4 days straight or you'd need some sort of interleague.

5 minutes ago, Lowerdeck said:

What of the fact there's 15 teams in both leagues?  You'd either have someone sit out 3-4 days straight or you'd need some sort of interleague.

Didn't think of that. They should expand, bring back the Expos and put a team somewhere like Nashville or Charlotte, and call it a day.

• Like 1

Re: the size of the playoffs. I'm not sure it needs to be more limited than it is (though one Wild Card team was enough for me, but if it's going to stay as one game, I'm fine with it). I love the current size of the playoffs. It feels elite. It takes a ton of work to make it, and when you do, it's fantastic. Hell, they don't even get to a Best of 7 series until the Final 4.