2017 MLB Thread

Meacon Keaton

The most distracting part of that image is the reminder that TJ Rivera looks like A-Rod's love child.

As for Harvey, I'm done with him.  He's filing a grievance against the Mets but it's not even the first time he's done this.  I don't blame the Mets for doubting his story.  Past issues may have been swept under the rug when he was pitching well, but now that he's not he's simply more trouble than he's worth.

In 2014 he lobbied the Mets to let him travel with the team all year as he recovered from TJS because he wanted to be a team player.  Yet as the Mets played a double header against the Nats, Harvey was in the Bronx sitting in the stands watching Jeter's last home game.

He no-showed the 2015 pre-playoff workout at Citi Field citing traffic even though the other 24 players got there without issue.  And now this.

Harvey seems to feel that if he's not pitching, his participation is optional.  It isn't.

Ugh. This Yankees team is probably going to be a contender if they keep it up. Step your fucking game up, Baltimore.

Also, the Cubs and the Yankees played the longest game in Sunday Night Baseball history (18 innings), longest game of 2017, and the longest game in interleague history last night.

• Like 1

I'd still take him on the Yanks, if you're willing to tradesies. 

The Cubs have designated Matt Szczur for assignment, and since he's out of options, the Padres are going to grab him. So instead the Cubbies are trading him for some scrub minor league relief pitcher that couldn't strike @Maxx out. A Cub fan friend of mine is devastated, as Szczur appeared to be loved by pretty much everyone in or around the clubhouse.

The plot thickens with the Matt Harvey saga as more information continues to come out regarding the circumstances that led to his three day suspension for failing to report to the ballpark on Saturday.

Sources told the New York Post that Harvey was out until 4 a.m. Saturday morning celebrating Cinco de Mayo with some friends at the swanky Manhattan hot spot 10AK. Seated at a private table, witnesses said Harvey and his entourage were drinking Armand de Brignac “Ace of Spades” Champagne, Belvedere vodka, and Don Julio 1942 tequila into the wee hours of the morning. Later that day, he failed to report for team practice, texting pitching coach Dan Warthen that he was suffering with migraines.

Warthen tried to call Harvey, but he did not answer his phone. Meanwhile a very agitated and concerned Terry Collins, prompted Sandy Alderson and team officials to send two security officials to Harvey’s Manhattan apartment to check on his well being.

They were greeted at the door by Harvey wearing his pajamas. This is where the accounts of the encounter start to split. According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, Harvey thought they were there to verify his migraine story while people close to the Mets say they went there to see if he was okay and/or needed help.

The part that makes Harvey’s account harder to believe is that he played golf with some of his buddies Saturday morning, hours after he was out all night celebrating and drinking.

He got home, ate some lunch prepared by a private chef, and then went to bed. He woke up later with a migraine he described to Jon Heyman as “the worst of his life.”

The whole who-texted-who-first situation is sticky as well because he says he texted Warthen before four o’clock and didn’t respond the rest of the day because he was trying to sleep off his migraine. The Mets, as I mentioned earlier, say they received no text from him before noticing he was not at batting practice Saturday afternoon.

After the Mets beat the Marlins on Saturday, Terry Collins met with Sandy Alderson and Jeff Wilpon in what I can only assume was a smoky room with no windows and a single lamp hanging from the ceiling. There they decided to suspend Harvey for three games.

The Mets have a standing policy that if players are sick they have to clear it through the trainer Ray Ramirez before they are expected to report to the park. Because this particular situation was not handled that way, only by a frantic back-and-forth text exchange with pitching coach Dan Warthen, Harvey was suspended. That, right there, might be the team rule the Mets said he violated in their original press release.

Harvey is returning to the clubhouse today, and will start against the Brewers on Friday. Collins had something to say after the Mets’ 4-3 win over the Giants regarding the situation.

“One thing he has to do — and he’s done it in the past — he needs to address some guys,” Collins said. “He wants to do it in a group, which is the easiest, I always think. Or if he wants to do it individually, he can do that. I’m just going to leave it where he’s most comfortable because we’ve got to get this behind us, so however he wants to go about it to do that, I’ll sign on for that.”

This is not the first time Harvey has found himself in trouble with the Mets, but is the first time he’s skipped a game. According to a team source, though, he has been late on multiple occasions and was even fined $500 at least once. We of course all remember that he missed a team workout before the 2015 NLDS, citing heavy traffic as an excuse. (New York Post) He addressed his teammates then as he will have to do now.

Hopefully, Harvey can do the right thing today and apologize to his teammates, learn from this, and make better decisions in the future.

I guess $5 million isn't enough to get him to commit to the team.

The funny thing is is that the team has been winning. Ryan "Freaking" Goins hit a walkoff single the other day and they beat the Mariners 7-2 yesterday. This team, basically full of Triple A guys and an aging Jose Bautista is actually faring okay. I mean, their record is like 14-21 or whatever but still, I'll take the optimism where ever I can get it.

Derek Jeter was the last player to retire from my childhood. That walkoff base hit at his final game in Yankee Stadium will forever be one of my favorite baseball memories. Up there with the Aaron Boone homer and when McGwire broke the record. (Yes I know he used roids, but as a 5/6 year old, watching that with my dad was a great moment)

1 hour ago, The Handsome Luchadore said:

So despite @Meacon's predictions, I was not drafted by the NFL this year. While I wait for next year, who should I sign for in MLB? Bear in mind my positives and negatives are the same as football: great hair, shit at the actual sport.

MLB draft is next month so just sit tight.

• Like 1

Jeter is pretty much a god in the overall lineage of baseball.  Face of the franchise on a powerhouse Yankee team that was always contending and was before its time in terms of being willing to take their payroll to previously unforeseen levels.  Amazing player.  Clutch as clutch can be.  Clubhouse leader.  Captain of the most prolific franchise ever.  Could fill out a full lineup card with the roster of starlets he dated during his career.

He was as close to perfect of a ballplayer as you can get, and that's what made him the easiest guy to love to hate for myself and many other Yankee haters in the late 90s/2000s.  He was just so good at everything and, deep down, everybody wanted him on their team.

Anyone actually complaining about the level of coverage he got for his number retirement ceremony is just sour grapes.

• Like 1

Yeah Jeter deserves all this coverage, he was one of the greatest players of his generation and one of the only clean ones. His career numbers look better and better the more we dive into advanced metrics too. I liked Kurkjian ranking him as the 3rd best SS of all time behind Wagner and Vaughan. Jeter's career numbers are a little better than Ripken, though Ripken's glove was vastly superior to Jeter's (despite some marquee plays his range was poor). So they're reasonably interchangeable. And then you get Yount in 5th. As a player Jeter was on some great teams, and his skills wouldn't have been felt as much on a bad team. But as a guy who got on base, got to 2nd, and could run the bases he was integral to the Yankees. And for most of his career he was the best or 2nd best guy at doing exactly that.

Fuck A-Rod, especially since he spent half his career at 3B.

• Like 1