2017 MLB Thread

Meacon Keaton

1 hour ago, The Big Bratwurst said:

The Mariners are driving me fucking insane. Go on a tear to get back to .500, drop the next three-four games. Go on another tear to get over .500, start losing to the fucking Phillies. :facepalm: 

That's how the Jays have been this year too. Injuries and inconsistent pitching have really killed us. It's too bad, because the roster makeup should be challenging for a playoff spot, and I wouldn't be shocked to see a lot of guys moved before the deadline now that we're only a month away.

• Like 1

It’s the time of year for my annual exercise in predicting the All Star rosters before they get formally announced on Sunday. I’m so glad they took away that awful home field advantage rule, it never made sense to put that on the line in what is supposed to be a fun exhibition.

AL will go first as the road team.

American League

Fan Voting: Starting Lineup (9)

C: Salvador Perez, Kansas City Royals
1B: Eric Hosmer, Kansas City Royals
2B: Jose Altuve, Houston Astros
SS: Carlos Correa, Houston Astros
3B: Miguel Sano, Minnesota Twins
OF: Aaron Judge, New York Yankees
OF: George Springer, Houston Astros
OF: Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
DH: Corey Dickerson, Tampa Bay Rays

Those were all of the leaders heading into the final day of balloting, so I’ll stick with them for the vote here. I have to say the fans have done a really good job in the AL. I do think that there are a few better options at 1B than Hosmer, and that happens to be the closest vote in the balloting so the fans may have rectified it over the last day.

Still, there is nobody on this list I would deem unworthy of being an All Star this year. I would love to see Judge facing off against some of the NL’s top pitchers and watching that Astros trio in action is always a treat. Hopefully Trout is back from injury in time to play.

Player Balloting: Position Players (9)

C: Gary Sanchez, New York Yankees
1B: Justin Smoak, Toronto Blue Jays
2B: Robinson Cano, Seattle Mariners
SS: Xander Bogaerts, Boston Red Sox
3B: Jose Ramirez, Cleveland Indians
OF: Mookie Betts, Boston Red Sox
OF: Avisail Garcia, Chicago White Sox
OF: Justin Upton, Detroit Tigers
DH: Nelson Cruz, Seattle Mariners

There was a time when the player ballot was primarily based on reputation with stats coming second. A few years ago I’d have said a guy like Miguel Cabrera would be a guaranteed All Star no matter what based on the respect he’d gained from the players. But nowadays the players seem to do a really good job at being relatively unbiased and voting for the players who truly deserve to go there.

The AL is so deep that I can already tell at this point that there are going to be a lot of snubs from a position player standpoint. 1B, SS, OF, and DH all have other viable candidates than the ones chosen – so I don’t envy Terry Francona having to make some of these tough calls on the back end of the roster.

Player Balloting: Pitchers (8)

SP: Corey Kluber, Cleveland Indians
SP: Lance McCullers, Houston Astros
SP: Chris Sale, Boston Red Sox
SP: Ervin Santana, Minnesota Twins
SP: Jason Vargas, Kansas City Royals
RP: Dellin Betances, New York Yankees
RP: Craig Kimbrel, Boston Red Sox
RP: Andrew Miller, Cleveland Indians

I’m going to give an honorable mention to Dallas Keuchel as I don’t know if he’s missed too much time to make the player ballot or not. If he’s on there I expect him to get voted in, but he’ll be replaced immediately as it’s already known that he’s not going to be back until after the break. It’s a no-brainer that the players will vote for guys like Sale and Kluber. McCullers has been opening eyes around the league, Santana’s having an unexpected resurgence, and Vargas’ monster year has come out of nowhere.

Relievers are often voted in on reputation but all three of those hard throwers are in the midst of typically excellent seasons. Even if the players went in a different direction on any of these reliever picks, I’d be pretty stunned if any of them were completely omitted from the team. Home field advantage may not be on the line anymore but if it were that’d be a deadly back end of the bullpen to lock it down.

Managerial Selections (7)

C: Alex Avila, Detroit Tigers
1B: Yonder Alonso, Oakland Athletics
2B: Jonathan Schoop, Baltimore Orioles
SP: Carlos Carrasco, Cleveland Indians
SP: Yu Darvish, Texas Rangers
SP: Luis Severino, New York Yankees
RP: Roberto Osuna, Toronto Blue Jays

With the requirements to carry a minimum of 13 pitchers and have every team represented, Francona actually doesn’t have a whole lot of flexibility in terms of being able to fill out the rest of his roster despite there being a lot of good AL position players left. Three teams currently are without a rep which Francona could remedy by taking Alonso and Schoop who are having the best seasons for everyday players on their respective teams, and Darvish who helps him towards his pitching requirements.

I have to think that Francona, like any other All Star manager, will reward at least one of his guys – so Carrasco makes the team and rightly so as he’s got the 3rd lowest WHIP in the AL, making his 3.50 ERA a bit of an aberration. Severino’s having an under the radar great season, and Osuna gives him another bullpen weapon for late in the game. Technically Francona can pick anybody for the last spot, but it’s become an unwritten rule that the All Star teams carry three catchers. Brian McCann might be the bigger name, but I could see him rewarding Avila who’s come out of nowhere to have a great season in Detroit.

Final Vote Selections (5)

SS: Elvis Andrus, Texas Rangers
SS: Francisco Lindor, Cleveland Indians
SS: Andrelton Simmons, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
3B: Mike Moustakas, Kansas City Royals
OF: Steven Souza, Tampa Bay Rays

Given the way the roster was constructed to this point, the right side of the infield is well stocked. So for that reason I could see Francona loading up his Final Vote options with guys who play the left side of the infield. I think Moustakas would have the leg up purely because Royals fans seem to be pretty rabid voters – but I could see the case for any of these guys. Souza is added on too just to provide some extra depth to the OF mix.

National League

Fan Voting: Starting Lineup (8)

C: Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants
1B: Ryan Zimmerman, Washington Nationals
2B: Daniel Murphy, Washington Nationals
SS: Zack Cozart, Cincinnati Reds
3B: Nolan Arenado, Colorado Rockies
OF: Charlie Blackmon, Colorado Rockies
OF: Bryce Harper, Washington Nationals
OF: Marcell Ozuna, Miami Marlins

Much like the AL, I just stuck with the starters as of the final voting update. The real question is whether or not any Cubs will break into the lineup – Anthony Rizzo, Kris Bryant, and Jason Heyward are all well within realistic striking distance to get voted in to start. It wouldn’t surprise me if one or more of them forced their way in with a late push from the Cubs fan base.

As much as I enjoyed watching the Cubs last year, on stats alone none of those three warrant starting over their counterparts – and Heyward really shouldn’t be going to the All Star Game at all. Rizzo or Bryant would be less egregious and I’ve seen it argued that the reigning World Series champs should always get a token starter, especially now that the game is just for fun. The unfortunate part of that happening though is it would guarantee a snub in a really deep position pool at the corner infield spots.

Player Balloting: Position Players (8)

C: Willson Contreras, Chicago Cubs
1B: Paul Goldschmidt, Arizona Diamondbacks
2B: Scooter Gennett, Cincinnati Reds
SS: Corey Seager, Los Angeles Dodgers
3B: Anthony Rendon, Washington Nationals
OF: Cody Bellinger, Los Angeles Dodgers
OF: Adam Duvall, Cincinnati Reds
OF: Giancarlo Stanton, Miami Marlins

There are a few no doubters in here like Goldschmidt, Seager, and Stanton. But past that NL’s backup situation is a bit tougher to call than the AL I’d say. For starters, I don’t know if Bellinger is actually listed as an OF on the player ballot or not. If he’s listed at 1B I can’t see him outvoting Goldschmidt. Backup 3B is also a really tough call to make with several players who are very much deserving of a spot.

Gennett’s 4 home run game is still fresh enough in the minds of players that I could see it propelling him to the game out of a pretty weak 2B field. Catching is fairly weak too, I went with Contreras but Yasmani Grandal has nearly identical numbers so it could go either way.

Player Balloting: Pitchers (8)

SP: Gio Gonzalez, Washington Nationals
SP: Zack Greinke, Arizona Diamondbacks
SP: Clayton Kershaw, Los Angeles Dodgers
SP: Carlos Martinez, St. Louis Cardinals
SP: Max Scherzer, Washington Nationals
RP: Wade Davis, Chicago Cubs
RP: Greg Holland, Colorado Rockies
RP: Kenley Jansen, Los Angeles Dodgers

The usual suspects head the field in the NL, and with good reason. Scherzer would probably be the frontrunner to start with Kershaw coming in right behind him, nice way to start off the first few innings. Martinez has rattled off several great seasons in a row, and Gonzalez has been having a better year than expected in Washington. Greinke hasn’t been the best starter in Arizona this year but his numbers paired with his reputation should get him a spot.

Unlike the AL I’m thinking the players will go very closer heavy in the NL given how many great arms are there. Holland is having a ridiculously good year and is probably the frontrunner for Comeback Player of the Year at this point. Jansen is his usual dominant self, and Davis has thrived after basically being given away by the Royals.

Managerial Selections (9)

C: Tyler Flowers, Atlanta Braves
1B: Joey Votto, Cincinnati Reds
2B: Josh Harrison, Pittsburgh Pirates
3B: Travis Shaw, Milwaukee Brewers
SP: Jacob deGrom, New York Mets
SP: Jon Lester, Chicago Cubs
SP: Robbie Ray, Arizona Diamondbacks
RP: Brad Hand, San Diego Padres
RP: Pat Neshek, Philadelphia Phillies

Joe Maddon needs to do a thorough review of rosters as he’ll need to use six of his nine selections to fill the team representation requirement. Neshek’s been one of the better set up guys in the league, making him the easy choice for the Phillies. Hand has been good but is basically an All Star by default to fill the Padres quota and work towards the 13 pitcher quota. Also working towards the pitcher quota is deGrom who, like Carlos Carrasco in the AL, has an ERA inflated from only two lousy starts. Harrison and Shaw feel like the most deserving reps from their teams – and that leaves Flowers with a surprise All Star berth as the token third catcher spot to represent the Braves.

Ray’s been an unexpected contributor for Arizona and he parlays that into an All Star spot. I actually think Chase Anderson stood a good chance of making it as the Brewers really do deserve more than one rep, but even if he’s named he’ll have to be replaced with a recent injury leaving the door open for Maddon to fill the last pitcher spot with Lester mostly as a reward for his role on last year’s team. Part of me thinks Maddon may just take Kris Bryant with the last spot to also reward him for last year, but Votto has been so spectacular I just can’t see how he’s left off.

Final Vote Selections (5)

1B: Mark Reynolds, Colorado Rockies
2B: Dee Gordon, Miami Marlins
3B: Kris Bryant, Chicago Cubs
3B: Jake Lamb, Arizona Diamondbacks
OF: Jay Bruce, New York Mets

Whether it be Bryant or Anthony Rizzo, I do think Maddon will at least get one of his players on the Final Vote. But man, that Jake Lamb was snubbed for a second year in a row is pretty crazy – 3B is just stupidly deep. If Trea Turner weren’t hurt I’d say he’d definitely be on here to keep open the possibility of adding a third shortstop to the team, but it’s a weak position and with him out of the running maybe Gordon can be an option to infuse some speed as well as give the hometown crowd another player.

First All-Star selections have been announced. Yankees, Nats and Astros will each send at least five.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Position Players

C - Salvador Perez, Kansas City Royals
1B - Justin Smoak, Toronto Blue Jays
2B - Jose Altuve, Houston Astros
3B - Jose Ramirez, Cleveland Indians
SS - Carlos Correa, Houston Astros
OF - Aaron Judge, New York Yankees
OF - Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels
OF - George Springer, Houston Astros
DH - Corey Dickerson, Tampa Bay Rays

Reserves

C - Gary Sanchez, New York Yankees
1B - Yonder Alonso, Oakland Athletics
2B - Starlin Castro, New York Yankees
2B - Jonathan Schoop, Baltimore Orioles
3B - Miguel Sano, Minnesota Twins
SS - Francisco Lindor, Cleveland Indians
OF - Mookie Betts, Boston Red Sox
OF - Avisail Garcia, Chicago White Sox
OF - Michael Brantley, Cleveland Indians
DH - Nelson Cruz, Seattle Mariners

Pitchers

LHP - Chris Sale, Boston Red Sox
LHP - Dallas Keuchel, Houston Astros
LHP - Jason Vargas, Kansas City Royals
RHP - Luis Severino, New York Yankees
RHP - Yu Darvish, Texas Rangers
RHP - Michael Fulmer, Detroit Tigers
RHP - Ervin Santana, Minnesota Twins
RHP - Lance McCullers, Houston Astros

RHP - Craig Kimbrel, Boston Red Sox
RHP - Dellin Betances, New York Yankees
LHP - Andrew Miller, Cleveland Indians

Final Vote

SS - Elvis Andrus, Texas Rangers
SS - Xander Bogaerts, Boston Red Sox
SS - Didi Gregorius, New York Yankees
3B - Mike Moustakas, Kansas City Royals
1B - Logan Morrison, Tampa Bay Rays

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Position Players

C - Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants
1B - Ryan Zimmerman, Washington Nationals
2B - Daniel Murphy, Washington Nationals
3B - Nolan Arenado, Colorado Rockies
SS - Zack Cozart, Cincinatti Reds
OF - Bryce Harper, Washington Nationals
OF - Charlie Blackmon, Colorado Rockies
OF - Marcell Ozuna, Miami Marlins

Reserves

C - Yadier Molina, St. Louis Cardinals
1B - Joey Votto, Cincinatti Reds
1B - Paul Goldschmidt, Arizona Diamondbacks
2B - D.J. LeMahieu, Colorado Rockies
2B - Josh Harrison, Pittsburgh Pirates
3B - Jake Lamb, Arizona Diamondbacks
SS - Corey Seager, Los Angeles Dodgers
OF - Cody Bellinger, Los Angeles Dodgers
OF - Giancarlo Stanton, Miami Marlins
OF - Michael Conforto, New York Mets
OF - Ender Inciarte, Atlanta Braves

Pitchers

RHP - Max Scherzer, Washington Nationals
LHP - Clayton Kershaw, Los Angeles Dodgers
LHP - Robbie Ray, Arizona Diamondbacks
RHP - Zack Greinke, Arizona Diamondbacks
RHP - Carlos Martinez, St. Louis Cardinals
RHP - Stephen Strasburg, Washington Nationals

RHP - Kenley Jansen, Los Angeles Dodgers
RHP - Wade Davis, Chicago Cubs
RHP - Greg Holland, Colorado Rockies
LHP - Brad Hand, San Diego Padres
RHP - Corey Knebel, Milwaukee Brewers
RHP - Pat Neshek, Philadelphia Phillies

Final Vote

1B - Justin Bour, Miami Marlins
3B - Kris Bryant, Chicago Cubs
3B - Anthony Rendon, Washington Nationals
1B - Mark Reynolds, Colorado Rockies
3B - Justin Turner, Los Angeles Dodgers

Poor Brewers, Padres and Phillies - their only selections are relief pitchers. 

Lots of subs I'm sure before the game (don't know what Trout's timeline is). So glad the game isn't for home field advantage anymore.

So apparently my team has basically given up on the season, which they basically had no chance of getting to the WS anyway and are now shopping Stroman around to various teams. I have a feeling they may also be looking to deal Donaldson sometime before this year is over as well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

Someone go on Twitter and vote Kris Bryant for the All Star Game please. I think that's how you vote and I am still avoiding Twitter until I see the NJPW show on Friday night

https://www.mlb.com/all-star/final-vote

• Like 1

I don't think that the Jays blow it up here. The team is too far gone to win this year, barring some kind of miracle, but they don't have a bad team. Guys on expiring deals or veterans who can be replaced internally should be considered for movement, if the return is immediate or near-future help... but I can't see the Jays management team just going full rebuild here. There's no reason to do it.

The move that will be most likely and the hardest pill to swallow that I expect as a Jays fan, is Bautista. He's still got something to offer a contender, but he's in the twilight of his career now and because of the year we've had, he's probably our most expendable high end piece. Moving Strowman or Donaldson would be horrible decision making unless the return is astronomically good.

I don't think you move Donaldson unless you can literally get some Top 10 prospects. Look at what the Yankees collected for Miller and Chapman.

I think they will sell some pieces, Estrada and Bautista and try and re-tool for next year again. 

Cubs have got to do something about Montgomery. Dude gives up waaaaaaaaayyyyy too many runs every game he pitches. Move him to relief or do something, but he's not helping as part of the starting rotation.

Mike Moustakas and Justin Turner won the Final Vote.  Can't argue with either of those picks really.

I've seen a lot of griping on Twitter over the Cubs only having one All Star with Rizzo and Bryant being cited as huge snubs...but I just can't see it.

1B
Zimmerman: .332, 19 HR, 62 RBI
Votto: .316, 24 HR, 62 RBI
Goldschmidt: .314, 19 HR, 66 RBI
Reynolds: .285, 19 HR, 61 RBI
Bour: .284, 19 HR, 55 RBI
Rizzo: .265, 19 HR, 54 RBI

3B
Turner: .380, 8 HR, 33 RBI
Rendon: .300, 15 HR, 51 RBI
Arenado: .298, 16 HR, 63 RBI
Shaw: .296, 18 HR, 61 RBI
Lamb: .285, 20 HR, 67 RBI
Bryant: .261, 16 HR, 34 RBI

Just looking at the numbers alone I'd say Bryant even being on the Final Ballot over Shaw was a pretty clear sign MLB was trying to throw the Cubs a bone.

The positions they play were just loaded this year.  I love watching Rizzo and Bryant play but I just don't think they would've deserved to make it over those that did.  For what it's worth Maddon's already echoed similar sentiments.  And who knows maybe it'll give those two a little extra shot of motivation.  I'd love to see them both tear it up in the second half.