2017 MLB Thread

Meacon Keaton

And a great story behind it.

Gennett found himself at a police station as a young child because he was giving his mother problems with wearing his seat belt. She took her son in to scare him into wearing it, and left with a surprising twist. 

In an attempt to avoid trouble with the law, the mischievous young Gennett gave officers a fake first name. “I told the cops Scooter Gennett because that was my favorite Muppet Babies character. I kind of just used it as an alias, I thought I would get in trouble if I told them my real name.”

Both the police officers and Gennett’s mother were not expecting the youngster to give an alias. “She was shocked, she didn’t know that that was my favorite character. It kind of surprised her. She gave me a nudge to tell them my real name and I still didn’t. I just rolled with it.”

Gennett decided he liked his new identity so much he stopped responding to his real name. “For about a year or so I didn’t answer to Ryan. To get me to do anything, my parents and everyone would have to call me Scooter. It kind of just stuck.”

• Like 3

Mets ERA update for qualifying starters:

Zack Wheeler 3.72
Jacob deGrom 4.75
Matt Harvey 5.43
Robert Gsellman 5.53

If you would've told me before the season that we'd be sitting here in early June with the Mets having the 6th highest runs per game total in the league, I'd tell you we'd be well over .500 and neck and neck with Washington.  Not 8 games under .500 with Washington able to pretty much sleepwalk to the division crown up 12.5 games already.

Somehow this has turned into the worst pitching staff in baseball.  Genuinely feel sick over this season.

10 hours ago, damshow said:

It's the offensive equivalent of a perfect game.

That would probably be 4 grand slams, no?

And to think this guy came into the game with 3 homers this year... (and 0-19 his last 19 ABs...)

13 hours ago, EddieG said:

And to think this guy came into the game with 3 homers this year... (and 0-19 his last 19 ABs...)

4 grand slams depend a lot on your teammates, which in baseball means a lot. I'd say a 5-5 4 HR game is about as good as you're gonna get at the plate in any game, even if they're all solo shots.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, damshow said:

4 grand slams depend a lot on your teammates, which in baseball means a lot. I'd say a 5-5 4 HR game is about as good as you're gonna get at the plate in any game, even if they're all solo shots.

But you could say the same about a pitching perfect game unless you throw 27Ks.

Not taking anything away from what he's done, obviously.

On 6/7/2017 at 17:25, EddieG said:

Grand slams depend on your teammates being able to get hits and/or the opposing pitcher(s) being garbage or just having a bad game.

I can't find the record for most grand slams in a game, but only 14 players have hit 2 grand slams in 1 game...and one player (Fernando Tatis) hit 2 in same inning.

Edited by GhostMachine

Addison Russell is under investigation for spousal abuse. His wife posted an Instagram photo that was interpreted as being an admission that he cheated on her, and one of her friends posted that she was proud she was away from the "mental and physical abuse". The posts were deleted, but not before MLB was alerted. Now the MLB is investigating these claims.

The Yanks have scored at least eight runs in five straight games. First time they've done that since 1956.

The third game is currently ongoing but they've outscored the O's in this three game series 38-8. 

Oh and Aaron Judge hit two more homers today (his 20th and 21st) and one of those was a 495-foot bomb.

The Mets' unwillingness to promote Amed Rosario is infuriating.

Jose Reyes is slashing .184/.261/.286 over 244 plate appearances. He's having legitimately the worst season by an everyday player in team history.

And yet they insist on saying Rosario "isn't ready" as he tears up AAA.

It makes no sense from any standpoint. The Mets may be pretty far out of a playoff spot right now, but the NL appears to be crap and in the 2 Wild Card era that means it won't take much to get back in the mix. How could they possibly think Rosario is a worse option than Reyes?

14 hours ago, Busch Strowman said:

The Mets' unwillingness to promote Amed Rosario is infuriating.

Jose Reyes is slashing .184/.261/.286 over 244 plate appearances. He's having legitimately the worst season by an everyday player in team history.

And yet they insist on saying Rosario "isn't ready" as he tears up AAA.

It makes no sense from any standpoint. The Mets may be pretty far out of a playoff spot right now, but the NL appears to be crap and in the 2 Wild Card era that means it won't take much to get back in the mix. How could they possibly think Rosario is a worse option than Reyes?

I suspect they're concerned about how long they can hold on to them which suggests they've thrown this season in the bin. They'd probably rather hold on to Rosario for an extra year.