2017 MLB Thread

Meacon Keaton

12 hours ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

On the other hand, there are always a toooooon of Red Sox fans at the Rogers Centre when they come to town. 

Baltimore too.  Been to games (about 10 years ago) at Camden Yards where it was half to two thirds Sox fans.

One of these years I'd like to see the Sox play in Toronto. 

1 minute ago, Lowerdeck said:

Baltimore too.  Been to games (about 10 years ago) at Camden Yards where it was half to two thirds Sox fans.

One of these years I'd like to see the Sox play in Toronto. 

Baltimore is an easy city/stadium to overtake. There's always tons of Yanks fans at the O's/Yankee games too. 

When I was going to New Hampshire, the cheapest tickets for the Twins-Red Sox games were going for $32 on Stubhub. (The cheapest decent seats were $48) The cheapest for Yankees-Red Sox on there were $58. And in both cases, those were standing room only, not seats.

(And that's before Stubhub's fees kick in.)

24 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

Cubs got Justin Wilson and Alex Avila. We gave up more good prospects but I think it's a good trade. The Avila part might hurt me in fantasy though because he probably wont play as much as he did in Detroit

Saaaame boat, exploring new catcher options.

Looks like its Addison Reed to the Red Sox pending a medical review

Addison Reed to the Red Sox for their 18th (Stephen Nogosek), 23rd (Jamie Callahan), and 28th (Gerson Bautista) best prospects.  All righty relievers who throw high 90s, Callahan is expected to be big league ready soon.

Mets Twitter is losing their fucking minds in rage and I'm really not sure why. It was delusional to think the Mets were going to get a top 5 or even top 10 prospect for Reed. He was amazing last year and had stretches of dominance this year but he's taken a step back and is currently going through a slump.

Teams very rarely part with top prospects for rental relievers. Andrew Miller, Justin Wilson, etc. are guys with more team control beyond this year.

Chapman for Gleyber last year was an exception and frankly I doubt the Cubs make that trade if they didn't have the massive pressure of the World Series drought on them.

21 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

The return on relievers last year was also super inflated. 

Liriano to Astros, no word on who's coming back other than that it's probably an outfielder.

Norichika Aoki is coming back. He's hitting .272 this year, 15 of his 55 hits have been for extra bases and he is 5 for 7 in steal attempts.

Aoki is definitely trending downward in his career, but he will help our speed game, give us flexibility in the outfield and provide quality at-bats. He's under arbitration control for next season, but the experts are saying he's probably going to be a non-tender candidate.

I'm hoping that the front office gives him a decent look over the rest of this year though. It's unlikely they bring Bautista back unless he's willing to take a pay cut, so it would be nice to have a cheaper veteran hand in the field next season.

So many people said the A's wouldn't back down on their asking price. That was obviously false. Not the worst haul, though. #4, #8 and #12 prospects in a pretty good system. 

Dodgers get Tony Watson from Pirates.
Cleveland gets Joe Smith from Blue Jays.
D-Backs get David Hernandez from Angels.
Nationals get Brandon Kintzler from Twins.
Dodgers get Tony Cingrani from Reds.

If you're a relief pitcher, prepare to get traded.