Summer Transfer Window 2017

Lineker

I'd take Hart at Everton in a heartbeat.

As for Pep, the thing is he can throw money at it because City have bottomless piles of cash. I think Ederson is exactly the kind of player he should be spending money on. Promising but almost proven players like him, Bernardo Silva and the like are what he should be building his team with, augmented by the veterans he already has there.

5 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

If anything in goal is the last area Liverpool need to strengthen. Like Man City they've got serious problems in defence. They need a left back - Jonas Hector of Koln would be a good choice for Klopp's style of play - and probably at least one centre back. Joe Gomez looks like an excellent prospect but Klaven has been a bad signing and Sakho is gone, leaving just Matip and Lovren, neither of whom played 30 games in the league last season.

A lot of the keeping situation depends on Karius. I suspect he'll be thrown in at the start of the season and if he hits the ground running we're sorted, if not we'll revisit it next summer I imagine. Klopp's going to pursue with Milner rightly or wrongly, with it looks like Ryan Sessegnon as backup.

I wouldn't call Klavan a bad signing as such. £4m for a fourth choice CB is pretty good business for somebody who looks just as much a world beater as he does look lost. You expect that kind of inconsistency from a £4m player. Matip has barely put a foot wrong all season and has definitely improved the defense, and looks like we'll be going all in for van Dijk. Exactly the kind of defender we should be going for. Our system is designed to expose CBs, so we need somebody alongside Matip who can thrive in that environment. The depth there is increasingly looking like VvD/Matip/Lovren/Klavan/Gomez, which is a pretty solid rotation.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Adam said:

How likely are you to get Van Dijk and Sessegnon? Both are really in demand with all manner of top clubs apparently interested.

With van Dijk it appears to be a case of who blinks first between us, Chelsea and City. Club connected journos have suggested we're willing to go as high as £60m if it comes to it - but he's worth more to us than he would be to City and Chelsea. At that point, I can imagine those two clubs just shrugging and looking elsewhere on the continent instead. Sessegnon I think is pretty likely. He wants guaranteed minutes, but realistically what young player is gonna say no to Klopp? He'll have a significant part to play as Milner is slowly phased out.

1 minute ago, Nerf said:

With van Dijk it appears to be a case of who blinks first between us, Chelsea and City. Club connected journos have suggested we're willing to go as high as £60m if it comes to it - but he's worth more to us than he would be to City and Chelsea. At that point, I can imagine those two clubs just shrugging and looking elsewhere on the continent instead. Sessegnon I think is pretty likely. He wants guaranteed minutes, but realistically what young player is gonna say no to Klopp? He'll have a significant part to play as Milner is slowly phased out.

Someone who has the chance to go to Spurs? :shifty:

45 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

More than the Pochettino who seems to get every English player he coaches an England cap? :shifty: 

I wouldn't be bragging about that. 

22 minutes ago, Davidmarrio said:

I wouldn't be bragging about that. 

Haha, fair enough. It's just so impressive the way he's transformed the players he's coached. There was outrage when he handed Danny Rose a new deal a few years ago, and now he's absolutely fantastic, would've potentially been my player of the season if he hadn't got injured - he's also worked wonders with Kyle Walker. He's just really good at individually improving players, hopefully that continues for a long time. We really need to have a good summer in the transfer window now, it's been very hit or miss in the last few seasons. 

• Admin
2 hours ago, stokeriño said:

Begovic to Bournemouth for £15m, apparently.

Sky are now reporting £10m and still subject to agreeing personal terms + a medical.

Manchester City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak has confirmed that Sergio Aguero is staying at the Etihad.

Liverpool are to sign Dominic Solanke from Chelsea having beaten several Premier League and European clubs to a deal for the promising young striker.

The 19-year-old has agreed terms with the Anfield club after refusing to sign a contract extension at Stamford Bridge amid concern over a lack of first-team opportunities. Solanke’s current deal expires this summer but, as he is under 24, Liverpool will have to pay Chelsea a compensation fee to be decided by a tribunal. The fee is expected to be in the region of £2m-£3m.

Solanke has an impressive goalscoring record for Chelsea’s youth teams and represented England up to Under-21 level. He is currently part of Paul Simpson’s squad for the Under-20s World Cup in South Korea and spent the 2015-16 season on loan at Vitesse Arnhem, where he scored seven goals in 25 appearances.

The striker’s stand-off with Chelsea over a new contract had alerted an array of clubs to his availability and several Premier League teams competed with Liverpool for his signature. Solanke, who will earn under £20,000-a-week at Anfield, also had offers from Red Bull Leipzig in Germany and Celtic, who saw him as a potential replacement for Moussa Dembele.

Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp intends to deploy Solanke in the club’s Under-23s team initially and he looks to develop a group of young talent – featuring the likes of Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ben Woodburn and Harry Wilson – to challenge the first team and feature in cup competitions next season.

As Solanke is over 17 and in line to sign a professional contract with Liverpool, the club’s transfer embargo – which applies to signing academy players from other English league clubs for two years – does not apply.

Sounds pretty standard.

Solanke: "I won't sign a new contract without guarantees of time in the first-team squad."

Chelsea: "Fair enough. We'll let you move on then."

Solanke: "I like the sound of Liverpool. They're going to let me play in the U23 team."

Chelsea: "Whatever, mate."

• Like 3

I think the £50k rumour was debunked at some point.

At least we've extended Eduardo's contract so that's 2/3 keepers in place. Although I'm a little concerned that we're going to get shafted for HG spaces since Begovic (and obviously Terry) counted towards our HG quota and it seems fairly unlikely that their replacements will do the same.

2 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

I think the £50k rumour was debunked at some point.

At least we've extended Eduardo's contract so that's 2/3 keepers in place. Although I'm a little concerned that we're going to get shafted for HG spaces since Begovic (and obviously Terry) counted towards our HG quota and it seems fairly unlikely that their replacements will do the same.

Jason Lowe is available. :(

17 minutes ago, Lineker said:

It's finally Jamal Blackman's time to shine. 

I'll never forgive him or Mignolet for making me endure one of the longest and shittest penalty shootouts ever 

• Like 1