Fun free pc games

I play roguelikes from time to time (rd. quite a lot), and if you don't mind non-existent graphics over ridiculous depth, then you should give Dwarf Fortress or Cataclysm DDA a try.

Dwarf Fortress is the grand-daddy of modern roguelikes, where you order 7 drunk dwarfs around to build a fortress that can last through the ages, which will hopefully survive goblin invasions, hippy tree hugging elves, and most importantly it needs to survive the users ineptitude and hubris. Fortresses can run for years, or months, and if you do well you'll get migrant wave after migrant wave of useless air-wasters whose only specialty is dissecting fish, and maybe a few vampires or were-animals to really make your fortress turn to shit.
Graphics are non-existent other than ASCII and user-made tilesets that spruce up the game into something that ordinary people are able to read. But the depth of the game's simulation is ridiculous, with everything of every animal being simulated from specific limbs body temperature, to how much they crave to be trashed 24/7.

Cataclysm DDA is your bog standard zombie survival game made less bog and less standard. As with DF, graphics are non-existent but it makes up for it with an ever-changing world and there are literally no boundaries to where you can go. You'll start off banging a makeshift crowbar out of a steel pipe, you try to scrounge up some clothing and supplies that will have you survive longer than a day, and somewhere in those first attempts you'll be curbstomped by the hordes and forced to start over and over and over again.
Once you learn to survive and get past the early game, the fun really starts, as there are various crazy challenges from trying to infiltrate an automated military base (with automated turrets of all shapes and sizes), or explore an abandoned lab filled with eldritch horrors in the hope of snagging some high tech bionics to fashion yourself into some sort of Adam Jensen-esque super-survivor, or perhaps swim around in toxic sludge and turn into a mutated monster.
You can build your own vehicles from scratch, whether it is chopping up a deserted tank and building some sort of walking fortress that provides for every need whilst keeping any monster at bay, or just making a speed machine that allows you to avoid any sort of danger, or get in and out of sticky situations in a flash.
There's a deep robust crafting system, that allows you to fashion practically every item by yourself with enough skills and ingredients, various ways to fight zeds (Guns, bows, bashing, stabbing, piercing, exploding, kung-fu cyborg, etc.) And just like you can build a car, you can build your own little land fortress with palisades and whatever else you want to build in there.

Personally I'm not into zombie games, but I love Cata because it's ridiculously deep and goes further than every other zombie game, since it's ruthlessly hard and allows for so much things to explore. I've never really reached late-game, because I tend to get overzealous about my fighting skills and then get launched through a truck by a zombie hulk, or get blown up by a chicken walker (yes, the Star Wars kind).

Notable mentions: Unreal World (Finnish stone age survival roguelike (25 years old!)), Liberal Crime Squad (Ridiculous domestic freedom fighting/terrorism simulator, turn the nation liberal through violence... (From the dev of Dwarf Fortress)

All four games are effectively free, with only UnReal World having a steam version to support the dev. 

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RoHitman Reigns said:

Ill let @Ruki go on about LoL and maybe @Plubby can assist

3 hours ago, Jericode said:

This may well open a can of worms but what's the difference between DOTA 2 and LoL? Everyone I was at uni with played DOTA and told me League wasn't worth it.

The two games are similar. Dota is much slower paced and has a very steep learning curve in my opinion. A lot more punishing if you do poorly. 

LoL  (which i play), is more fast paced, action packed and colorful (in my mind). The downside though is you don't have access to all the champions like you do in Dota, you gotta buy them with in game or real money. Not as steep a learning curve, but still pretty steep. 

Due to both being competitive games, you'll find people who rage at you and are toxic. But on the other hand... It's a competitive game and winning just feels so good.

It's fun, frustrating and addictive.

• Like 2

On Steam, I see everyone jumping back into Fallout Shelter after it got ported earlier this month. A lot play DOTA, League of Legends, Warframe too.
Hearthstone is fun even though I have no idea what's going on.

It depends what you like. 

Star Wars: The Old Republic is an excellent MMORPG. It's free to play, easy to learn and is good visually. But where it excels is in story. If you like good, long, engaging narratives this is the game to choose. It is basically 8 interactive movies all in one, and getting more added continuously. 

6 hours ago, Ruki said:

The two games are similar. Dota is much slower paced and has a very steep learning curve in my opinion. A lot more punishing if you do poorly. 

LoL  (which i play), is more fast paced, action packed and colorful (in my mind). The downside though is you don't have access to all the champions like you do in Dota, you gotta buy them with in game or real money. Not as steep a learning curve, but still pretty steep. 

Due to both being competitive games, you'll find people who rage at you and are toxic. But on the other hand... It's a competitive game and winning just feels so good.

It's fun, frustrating and addictive.

Useful insight, thanks! I'll have to give Dota another go at some point, I did use to quite like it for a while but I generally prefer PS4 gaming so went off it.

3 hours ago, HarshMillennium said:

It depends what you like. 

Star Wars: The Old Republic is an excellent MMORPG. It's free to play, easy to learn and is good visually. But where it excels is in story. If you like good, long, engaging narratives this is the game to choose. It is basically 8 interactive movies all in one, and getting more added continuously. 

I can't really suggest playing this game with a free account even if you're only doing the main story. You get crippled pretty badly in how much credits you can attain, and how much inventory space you get. Before you're done with the first two planets you're pretty much straddling the caps already. The post-subscription tier is significantly better in that regard, it still hampers you but you'll have a much easier time running through the eight stories.

9 hours ago, Apsham said:

Some weekend I need to sit down and learn Dwarf Fortress.

If you have excess time on your hands, I suggest checking out tutorial vids or actual Let's Plays from people on youtube. A big part of fortress mode is simply getting a tangible start going, and until you get metalworking up and running you're gonna be struggling.

Starting can be made relatively easy and safe though, as you can build into the side of a mountain, dig a small moat and build a drawbridge over it. Then you just lock the place up every time bad people show up. It has its drawbacks (traders, migrants can get stuck outside in the middle of a siege (aka, they're fucked)).

Also, the 'newb pack' is a must and it allows you to edit the game itself from an interface, so you can remove advanced stuff like Curses (werebeasts, vampires) and aquifers (early groundwater barrier)

Edited by Jasonmufc

I can't recommend Star Wars: The Old Republic, either. I used to play it a few years ago, and ended up buying a pack they had that added some bonuses. That helped some, but you're really better off subscribing or buying things from their cash shops. (You can't play as certain races, access special areas, or do a few other things without spending money one way or the other) What it does have going for it, though, is excellent storylines. The Imperial Agent (I made mine a Sniper) is my favorite storyline out of the ones I've played, while the Republic Trooper storyline is quite boring, and one of the two Jedi class storylines takes being a goody two shoes to the next level. All the others are pretty good, but the Imperial class storylines are in general more enjoyable than the Republic class ones. And I don't mean more enjoyable because you get to be evil. I mean they seem to have put more thought into the Imperial ones. 

Most `free to play' MMOs are actually either `pay to win' or `free to play, but you can't do much that way'. I'm letting my subscription to DC Universe Online run out because I can't justify paying it when I don't have nearly enough time to play it, and might as well quit playing all together. Because you can only play to a certain point without either subscribing or buying content, you can only access a small amount of in-game money that won't buy much, and certain powersets are locked without subscribing or buying them. (Little trick to that latter issue: Subscribe for a month, create characters with those locked powersets, and you keep the characters when the subscription is over. BUT...you only have a few character slots without subscribing or buying more, and there are more locked powersets than there are free character slots.) The game is definitely worth playing up until the locked until you subscribe or buy content point, however, unlike a lot of MMOs. I used to play Champions Online when it first game out and was a subscriber. Quit after a while and went back after it became F2P, and it sucks royally as a F2P. 

What I hate is that there are a few F2P fantasy MMOs out there that have gender-locked classes. I tried Tera Online, which has nice graphics, but a lot of classes are only available to female characters. And a couple of classes are subscriber only. I've heard there are a few others like that out there.

If anyone does decide to try DCUO, let me know. I can give you a few tips and some advice. But definitely subscribe for at least a month if you try it and decide to keep playing. (You can download DCUO from their website or through Steam. In fact, I play it through Steam.)

*edited to add* Also, I need to stay away from games that have crafting tradeskills. The first MMO I ever played was Everquest, and I spent more time working on the Baking tradeskill than I did actually adventuring. Did the same thing to an extent with Everquest 2, except it was with whichever skill it is that makes furniture. And with a few different trades when I played World of Warcraft. 

Edited by GhostMachine

DCUO is fun as shit but it's a bastard to jump back into after a break.