E3 2014 thread

I really hope Ubi keep their foot on the gas this year. EA will go SPORTSBATTLEFIELDMORESPORTSPEGGLE2 as they always do, but I've actually come around to looking forward to Ubi's stuff more. Like, between Watch_Dogs, ACIV and Child of Light, Ubisoft are pretty much half of my PS4 library atm.

Let's see, they have:

- New Assassin's Creed games (Unity)

- The Crew

- Far Cry 4

- Valiant Hearts

- Brother's In Arms 4

- Tom Clancy's The Division

- Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6: The Patriots

And also I believe Beyond Good & Evil 2, which we haven't heard a lot about?

It's official. And I know I've said this a lot but Ubisoft has fooled me for the last time. I always get all hyped up for their games and never end up enjoying them as much as I thought I would.

Why, whatever could you be implying about Ubisoft?

• Like 2

It's official. And I know I've said this a lot but Ubisoft has fooled me for the last time. I always get all hyped up for their games and never end up enjoying them as much as I thought I would.

Why, whatever could you be implying about Ubisoft?

This pretty much sums up my feelings every time I stop playing one of these games

All in all, Ubisoft Game is a game that Ubisoft have made

Last E3 I mentioned that I'd rather build a PC than buy any of the next gen consoles because there's nothing that truly looks like an upgrade in any way. One year on and I'm not regretting my decision. Everything vaguely interesting is coming to PC as a multiplat anyway and there hasn't been an exclusive yet to justify the £400 purchase of a console.

Remember all those next gen launch titles that we were all hyped for? Notice how they all just got released and nobody cared about them after a month? I had to go and double check that Ryse and Zoo Tycoon had actually been released considering I've heard nobody talk about it since last years E3.

I'm not even talking as a jaded gamer - I'm still having tons of fun just going through my backlog built up over the years - there's been a huge drop in quality with video games over the past few years and neither Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft seem to want to make me part with my money. The PS4 is still possibly the default 'winner' so far, but until a steady stream of good games come out for it then it's still a downgrade on getting a last gen system. All it'd take is something like Oblivion or Red Dead Redemption or Deus Ex: HR and I'd be sold on it, but 8GB GDDR5 RAM is worthless in a games console if there aren't any games.

I honestly don't get why publishers aren't digging through their old IPs if the market is so desperate for games. Why are so many franchises stone dead when they could be selling consoles? Why hasn't there been a new Road Rash? or Medievil? or Parappa the Rapper? or Twisted Metal? or Alpha Centuri? or Future Cop LAPD? or Crash Bandicoot? or Jak and Daxter? or Viva Pinata? or WipeOut? or Banjo Kazooie? I'm pretty sure I'd throw all my money at the chance to play a next gen version of one of those.

• Like 1

I was going to say that too. Holy shit, a new Future Cop LAPD and Parappa The Rapper would excite me more than just about anything non-Nintendo likely to be announced at E3.

I'm keeping an eye on E3 because I'm still interested, and I still consider myself a gamer in essence, but so far I've not been sold on any of the next gen consoles. I survived perfectly well never owning a PS3, and only having an X-Box 360 for about two months, the Wii suited me fine. The Wii-U is awesome, and so far easily the best of the current crop, but my girlfriend has one, and I rarely find time to play games on my own, so I've not been too tempted to buy one just yet. Maybe after Smash Bros. But literally nothing has sold the PS4 or the X-Box One to me. The closest thing to a selling point so far has been Octodad. But nothing has convinced me that it's anything other than a graphical upgrade to the existing stuff - and I've managed without the existing stuff so far.

I realise that I'm not the core demographic any more - I've not convinced myself that I need to own one or the other, and that seems to be the biggest marketing ploy either company has, the idea of a console war to make you think that you need to own one of these consoles. But neither of them have come up with a "must have" for me yet, and I don't see it happening any time soon.

Hell, I've been playing my Dreamcast more than anything else lately anyway.

I was going to say that too. Holy shit, a new Future Cop LAPD and Parappa The Rapper would excite me more than just about anything non-Nintendo likely to be announced at E3.

I'm keeping an eye on E3 because I'm still interested, and I still consider myself a gamer in essence, but so far I've not been sold on any of the next gen consoles. I survived perfectly well never owning a PS3, and only having an X-Box 360 for about two months, the Wii suited me fine. The Wii-U is awesome, and so far easily the best of the current crop, but my girlfriend has one, and I rarely find time to play games on my own, so I've not been too tempted to buy one just yet. Maybe after Smash Bros. But literally nothing has sold the PS4 or the X-Box One to me. The closest thing to a selling point so far has been Octodad. But nothing has convinced me that it's anything other than a graphical upgrade to the existing stuff - and I've managed without the existing stuff so far.

I realise that I'm not the core demographic any more - I've not convinced myself that I need to own one or the other, and that seems to be the biggest marketing ploy either company has, the idea of a console war to make you think that you need to own one of these consoles. But neither of them have come up with a "must have" for me yet, and I don't see it happening any time soon.

Hell, I've been playing my Dreamcast more than anything else lately anyway.

How on earth could you make that statement when, by your own admission, you've not got or tried a PS4 or One? :P

I mean, I guess if you're really into Mario...

I had a massive post almost done in reply, and accidentally closed the tab like a berk.

I've played demos of FIFA and whatever Call Of Duty we're up to on the PS4, and thought it was same old shit. Yes, they're franchises that don't appeal to me anyway, but there was nothing about the new console that jumped out and grabbed me. Shinier graphics, but nothing like the jump from PS2 to PS3 - that sort of thing is reaching a plateau, and people are going to have to come up with better selling points than that. The only game currently available for PS4 that I was remotely interested in was Knack, and I barely understand what it is, I just saw a trailer and thought it looked cool. Everything else is franchises that don't interest me, ports, or otherwise unappealing titles.

XBox One is even worse. Even aside from the privacy concerns brouhaha from last year's E3 that's probably guaranteed that I'll never buy one anyway, there is nothing compelling me to check it out. Same unappealing, dull, unimaginative franchises, ports, and almost nothing else. The most interesting thing they've got on there is Killer Instinct, for fuck's sake. Throw in a bunch of Kinect fitness stuff and shovelware, and what did people hate the Wii for again?

As for the Wii U, you've got a genuinely groundbreaking and interesting new console system - rather than the "familiarity breeds contempt" approach of Sony and Microsoft giving you pretty much the same thing over again, which - while I understood the logic of not wanting to force your players to re-learn something as complicated as the layout of four buttons - just serves to further the perception that it's just last year's main course re-heated.

In terms of games, you have one of the best survival horror titles I have ever played and probably my favourite FPS in over a decade in ZombiU, the best Mario Kart game yet, a more than acceptable alternative kart game in the Sega one, one of the better action RPGs of recent years with Monster Hunter 3, great party games in Game & Wario and Nintendoland, the best Mario game since Galaxy 2, Pikmin 3, something genuinely quite new and exciting in Wonderful 101, plus all the best cross-party games too.

I don't have to have played every game on every console for it to be immediately obvious to me that the Wii U has a better line-up by far, and to me is far more fun to play. What do the PS4 and XBox One have that make them any better?

I mean, I guess if you're really into Mario...

And that's just a pointless jibe. I could come in here and say "I guess the XBox One is better, if you're really into Halo", what does it prove?

• Like 4

A stupid jibe too. There isn't a game available for the PS4 or XB1 better than Mario 3D World. I love my Wii U, and I'm still at least a year and a price drop away from getting one of the big two systems.

I mean, I guess if your really into sports games...

• Like 1

I will say in the last year I've gone from "PS4 is the one I'm buying first" to "Wii-U is the one I'm buying first." I just need to save up actual money to get it. Mario Kart 8 sounds rad and I should get it soon before Smash drives the demand way up.

ANYWAY. Pre-gaming for E3 is go. I hope they can live up to the standard they set in 2011:

The Wii U is a good console for the price.

MS starts in a couple of hours, I'm pretty excited to see what they're bringing to the table. It's a shame the Sony console is on so late, although I'm only really interested in the Vita stuff and I imagine the majority of it will be PS4/Morpheus.