Electronic Entertainment Expo 2013 (E3)

King Ellis

I like the tablet controller... I don't see what everyone's issue is with it. It's surprisingly light and comfortable and the ability to play on the tablet screen is pretty damn slick. I know Sony's gonna do that with Vita, but that's a steep cost to go along with the PS4. And lol, Smartglass.

I get the gripes about Nintendo's lack of third party support, which was certainly justified with the Wii because it couldn't do HD... but I don't get why developers aren't supporting the WiiU. Especially since most of the big titles launching on PS4 and XBO will also be on PS3 and 360.

Catch 22. No one buys it because there's nothing being developed. Nothing's being developed because the market's too small. Not sure why next-gen titles having current-gen versions is relevant.

My issue with the tablet is it's almost too light. It feels cheap and tacky and I just couldn't get on with the placement of the buttons.

Fair enough if you're just not a fan of the tablet controller after using it, though personally, that wasn't my experience at all. I went in with doubts, but found it far more intuitive than I ever imagined it would be.

Being able to play on just the tablet screen is something that needs to be promoted more, in my opinion, as it's a fantastic feature - being able to play on the tablet because someone else is using the TV is a godsend sometimes, and my girlfriend often plays games on the tablet late at night or early in the morning so as not to risk waking me by turning the TV on. Little things like that - how the console actually becomes part of your daily life - are a far bigger deal to me than processing power, or anything that Microsoft or Sony are trying to sell their consoles on.

I also don't really see how "Nintendo don't know how to make consoles any more" is a valid criticism, when the Wii outsold the PS3 and X-Box 360 by more than 20%.

I honestly think that Nintendo get a bad wrap through being an identifiable brand, with a solid identity. When something goes wrong with a game, when something's delayed or not as good as expected, even if it's a third-party product, the response is "lol, nintendo". No one blames Microsoft when third-party games are delayed for the X-Box, no one is blaming Sony for the next Fallout game not being out for the PS3 yet - they blame the people who were actually responsible. But not enough games out on time for the WiiU? Well, that's all Nintendo's fault! I'd like to see how many of the "launch window" titles for X-Box One and PS4 are delayed in comparison to how many for the WiiU.

I can tell I'm going to hate this new generation. The current gen seemed to see console fans getting along, barring a few friendly jabs, but this last E3 has just made people into a bunch of 13 year olds who have to bicker about the smallest of things (and no, I'm not discounting myself from that) :(

It's like the last days of Sony vs. Nintendo. It stops being about objective quality issues, and becomes more and more about brand loyalty, and about potshots fired across both brands. You only need to look at Sony's "we don't do all that stuff!" strategy at E3 to see that they're more concerned with differentiating themselves from Microsoft than they are with giving you a solid reason to buy their product, because they believe (wrongly, in my opinion) that people will inevitably buy one or the other.

I think we're seeing the last days of home consoles as we know them.

It won't ever happen but I wish Nintendo would go 3rd party so I could buy their great games without buying their lower spec, shovelware-laden, gimmicked consoles

And again, "shovelware" is a complaint against the Wii and WiiU that I just don't understand at all. Every console ever has had shit, cheaply made games - why is it only with the Wii that it's been seen as an indictment of the console as a whole? Yes, there are bad games available for it - you just don't buy the shit ones. No one's slagging off the PS3 as a whole for having "Just Dance" available for it, for fuck's sake.

Am I right in saying the screen-to-tablet feature is an option that individual games must opt into, i.e. it's not a system-wide feature? I'm sure I read that somewhere. If so, they need to fix that and make it possible with every game, it's a great feature.

Not sure about global figures, but the 360's just overtaken the Wii as the best-selling current-gen console in the UK.

I was meaning Mario was their triple A game, as opposed to the countless others available on other consoles. It's far from the only major franchise on the wii but the range is a lot smaller which is what I assume the shovelware argument is based on.

Pretty much spot on, it's the volume of shovelware and what is available by way of alternatives. Sure you can say don't buy it, but every shitty shovelware game takes up space on a shelf that something better could have had, that affects sales and ultimately influences what games get developed and published.

I can say that the past few pages of this thread have mildly talked me into thinking that a Wii U might not be a terrible idea.

You should definitely trade in your 360 for one.

I like the tablet controller... I don't see what everyone's issue is with it. It's surprisingly light and comfortable and the ability to play on the tablet screen is pretty damn slick. I know Sony's gonna do that with Vita, but that's a steep cost to go along with the PS4. And lol, Smartglass.

The biggest is because Nintendo don't sell replacement tablets, if you break the tablet you need to buy a new console. Those joysticks look really flimsy under heavy usage and all it'll take is one worn out stick and you'll need to put down another £250 in order to play your new Mario.

The biggest is because Nintendo don't sell replacement tablets, if you break the tablet you need to buy a new console. Those joysticks look really flimsy under heavy usage and all it'll take is one worn out stick and you'll need to put down another £250 in order to play your new Mario.
I thought they did now?

• 2 weeks later...

One other point, re: sales: XBox 360 has 7 titles have sold more than 5 million copies. PS3 has 3. Wii has 15. I'm not saying that sales are everything, but how else can we reasonably define "AAA title"?

Isn't this an example of choice though? You can sell more of something when its the only choice on the market that people might want. (I said that people might want so wiiU doesn't count)