E3 2014 thread

I just want to see something that makes this generation of console look like more than minor graphical upgrades to the 360 and PS3. Really, I'd be happy with one game - one - that is as big of a leap into the "next-gen" as Mass Effect was from the PS2 era to the 360 era. Give me something genuinely new that would be impossible to pull off on the old machines other than just shiny graphics.

And for Nintendo to get their shit together. I want a full-blown, HD, side-scrolling classic Metroid game on the Wii U. I want to see a new IP that's not something like Wii Music. Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 HD remix. And just keep making the 3DS awesome.

I can't really get excited about games that are too far out because they're either going to get delayed or won't look or play anything remotely like they're presented in their "target footage." It'll be nice to see games like Dragon Age 3 and Batman, since they're due out soon(ish) though.

• Like 1

I believe Nintendo will be making their announcements during a Nintendo Direct stream, rather than an E3 press conference, much like they did last year. Judging by the company's track record over the past year of spreading news out over longer periods of time, I wouldn't be surprised if the volume of whatever they come out with in June will be considered "disappointing" by E3 standards, even if they've got plenty more to show later in the year.

Personally, though, I haven't seen E3 as a time to get excited about the games industry for years now. I look forward to it as more of a week-long barrage of PR gaffes, ill-fitting celebrity cameos and hilariously wooden stage performances, and I'll remember those moments much more clearly than any pre-rendered trailer that tells us virtually nothing about the product it's supposed to be advertising. I think of E3 as the Eurovision Song Contest of video game events, and that's what keeps me interested.

• Like 1

Yeah, I am incredibly excited to mock E3 again, though Sony's presentation last year was legitimately rad.

On the Nintendo front, I'm looking forward to the Smash Bros. invitational tournament which seems like one big love letter from Nintendo to their burgeoning competitive scene.

Whilst it isn't confirmed, I'm hoping Telltale Games show up with their new Game of Thrones game. Really interested to see how that'll turn out.

Main interests this year are WWE 2K15 to see how they take the series, Star Wars Battlefront because I loved the first two, Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor because my brother is a huge LOTR fan and the trailers I've seen before look awesome, and the new Pokemon games, because Ruby and Sapphire were great and the remakes are always awesome.

Meh. I wanted to talk about something only days away and no one else had made it. Apathy and laziness are traditional too but I'm breaking all the moulds today.

Myself, I'm seeing a lot of talk about companies working hard to start unlocking the power of ps4 and Xbox. Apparently one claims to have starting working with the ps4 in a way that will make the gap between them no longer closeable, but another says without the kinect they can use more of the processing power for the Xbox. I'm curious to see what happens.

I would love some exclusive titles for the vita, like gravity rush two to be announced. Hell I'd love for another PS all stars to come out. I liked the first a lot and there's so many characters to use still.

Also want to see process in the VR area. Lots of new things to explore there.

Its been a while since they have gotten to play with these next gen toys, I would love to see next gen results. Maybe an all new exclusive to all platforms.

It comes to mind that it's been nearly a full year since the last presentations, so let's have a refresher.

Microsoft: "SO LIKE YOU WANT TO WATCH TV ALL THE TIME RIGHT BUT YOU'RE DISTRACTED BY THIS OTHER NUISANCE CALLED GAMING ON A GAME CONSOLE WELL WE FIXED THAT AND NOW YOU CAN WATCH TV AND PLAY VIDEO GAMES IN A TINY BOX. DO YOU LIKE SPORTS WE LIKE SPORTS. CALL OF DUTY. FIVE HUNDRED BUCKS. A FAILED SCIENCE EXPERIMENT THAT BROKE DOWN TIME."

Sony: "uh yeah our strategy's that we're not really doing any of that this generation lol"

Nintendo:

tumblr_n3thielqT11t6jvvlo1_500.gif

• Like 11

I'm looking forward to seeing what games we've got coming up. Next gen titles are starting to actually roll out now with Watch Dogs, InFamous, Titanfall. Then in October and November we've got the first dump of games, Dragon Age, Alien, Shadow of Mordor (all on the same day...).

We'll probably get a tentative release date for FFXV, announcement of Mass Effect, AC5 or whatever the next one is. Maybe actually see some footage of the games I mentioned earlier. We'll get the "official" announcement for a kinect-less Xbone and Microsoft trying to make it seem like less of a scramble for support.

I'm morbidly interested in the Nintendo Direct. I honestly don't think they'll announce anything outside of a few bits from Hyrule Warriors. If that's the case, man, I can't see that company sticking around forever on the main console market. Does anyone outside of the die hard Nintendo audience give a shit about the WiiU at this point? Most third party developers have pretty much written it off entirely. I just can't see anyone developing for the WiiU once we stop developing for the PS3/360.

If Nintendo wants to put the money into it, they will develop for it. But you have a point that once support drops for the old gen, selling systems on the premise you are getting less quality for a cheaper price and different controls are going to be a harder and harder sell as time goes by.

Mostly, to me, having to convince those companies to incorporate the second screens in a way that doesn't seem forced. Not always easy.

I try not to stay too closely informed on upcoming games, as what I really enjoy is experiencing them with a minimal amount of spoilers. The only thing I know that I want coming up is EA UFC, which is only a few weeks out. But I just took a look at what Microsoft has planned and I'm looking forward to hearing more about:

- Sunset Overdrive

- D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die

- The Evil Within

- Destiny

- Alien: Isolation

- Dragon Age: Inquisition

- LOTR: Shadow Of Mordor

- Assassin's Creed Unity

And a handful of some other stuff. The only other thing I play is my Vita, but I rarely even check to see what comes out for that. It's a fun handheld, but I'm pretty happy with what I own for it right now in any case.

• Like 1