The E3 2021/Summer Game Fest Thread

E3 is just around the corner, but Geoff Keighley is also kicking off his Summer Game Fest today with a two-hour show. There will be game reveals, interviews and the usual padding, including a performance by Weezer.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe if you climb up a few towers to reveal enough objectives on the minimap you might be able to find one that provides an answer!

GUYS OMG MARIO AND RABBIDS 2, I CAN'T BELIEVE IT, I'M STUNNED BY THIS REVEAL

I like how The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles has a character called Herlock Sholmes. Like, surely Sherlock Holmes is public domain, what's the deal? And one of these characters is clearly in the

Making this its own thread like we normally do for an E3. Even if Summer Game Fest is it's own thing, like... it's on this day for a reason.

Here's the schedule for the next few days, also:

wXXwE1b.png

Personally I'm trying to keep my expectations manageable, the pandemic absolutely derailed a lot of game development, but here's hoping for a fun few days of announcements and that someone (probably Ubisoft) manages to find a way to invoke the feeling of impending on-stage disaster of years past.

I really liked that that Kojima interview started with him saying "hello... Geoff" like he had to take a second to remember his name.

Caught Elden Ring at the end there, why must From Soft continually poke me with these next gen titles? (I'm aware it's going to be on the older gen too)

That's the only thing I've seen from this show aside from the Metal Slug game which seems like an odd franchise to bring back. Has there been any real activity in that series outside of putting out digital releases of older games on various platforms? I remember there being a main series entry on the DS in the late noughties but that's about it. Kinda getting an Advance Wars vibe from it in (obviously) gameplay but aesthetically too. Having vehicles in there too is neat, I wonder if they're independent units you have or if you jump in them for extra fire power like in the main games? Would be interesting if they formed some 'boss' levels as well like the main game.

1 minute ago, King Ellis said:

Caught Elden Ring at the end there, why must From Soft continually poke me with these next gen titles? (I'm aware it's going to be on the older gen too)

That's the only thing I've seen from this show aside from the Metal Slug game which seems like an odd franchise to bring back. Has there been any real activity in that series outside of putting out digital releases of older games on various platforms? I remember there being a main series entry on the DS in the late noughties but that's about it. Kinda getting an Advance Wars vibe from it in (obviously) gameplay but aesthetically too. Having vehicles in there too is neat, I wonder if they're independent units you have or if you jump in them for extra fire power like in the main games? Would be interesting if they formed some 'boss' levels as well like the main game.

An Advance Wars game for the Switch would be an insta-buy from me

5 minutes ago, Krabby said:

An Advance Wars game for the Switch would be an insta-buy from me

There was Wargroove which seemed like a pretty bang on clone of AW, albeit with more of a medieval/fantasy type themed combat rather than modern military.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, King Ellis said:

There was Wargroove which seemed like a pretty bang on clone of AW, albeit with more of a medieval/fantasy type themed combat rather than modern military.

Yeah I haven't tried that yet but it's on my list to check out at some point

Koch Media presentation that's going on seems like it's shaping up to be our first unmitigated disaster conference in a while...

I'm guessing Devolver's show tomorrow will be another weird one. Guerrilla Collective ought to include some interesting games, while my interest in Ubisoft's conference hinges on it being an awkward mess. I was interested in Beyond Good and Evil 2 and Skull and Bones when they were announced years ago, but I can see them staying on the vapourware pile for another year.

The first big presentation for me will be the Microsoft one. Although I don't expect anything earth-shattering, it will be good to see what's coming to Game Pass.

2 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Looks as though a reveal has been leaked:

Hide contents

It's a new Mario+Rabbids game. Some details and screenshots are on Nintendo's official site.

Yay! The first one was fun.

Feel like that was an announced months ago. 

34 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:
  Hide contents

The game was, but its day one Game Pass release wasn't.

I have definitely been hearing the game pass rumor for awhile.

Ready the dancing panda because Ubisoft takes the stage in just under half an hour:

• Like 1

I wish I could understand what it was about Ubisoft games that make them lose their appeal to me so fast.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Maxx said:

I wish I could understand what it was about Ubisoft games that make them lose their appeal to me so fast.

Maybe if you climb up a few towers to reveal enough objectives on the minimap you might be able to find one that provides an answer!

• Like 5

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By King Ellis
      I was going to hold off on posting this until slightly closer to the event but with the leaks and speculation already underway, why not?
      When?
      Sunday 12th June:
      EA - 1PM PST / 4PM EST / 9PM BST
      Bethesda - 7PM PST / 10PM EST / 3AM BST (June 13th)
      Monday 13th June:
      Microsoft - 9:30AM PST / 12:30PM EST / 5:30PM BST
      PC Gaming Show -  12PM PST / 3PM EST / 8PM BST
      Ubisoft: 1PM PST / 4PM EST / 9PM BST
      Sony: 6PM PST / 9PM EST / June 14, 2AM BST (June 14th)
      Tuesday 14th and Wednesday 15th:
      Nintendo: 9AM PST / 12PM EST / 5PM BST
      Nintendo: 10AM PST / 1PM EST / 6PM BST
      Apparently Nintendo is breaking with tradition again, after previously ditching a stage show in favour of their own 'Nintendo Direct' videos and are now doing Treehouse live streams over two days. Pokemon Sun/Moon and the new Zelda are going to be on show.
      Where?
      IGN
      E3 on Youtube
      E3 on Twitch
      As well as streaming the conferences, Twitch usually has a stream going throughout the day featuring interviews with developers/publishers so might be worth keeping an eye on for that as well.
      E3 2016
      It seems like it was only 5 minutes ago that Sony and Microsoft were introducing their new systems but here we are with all the talk over the last few months being on so called '.5' systems. Slight hardware revisions are nothing new, with all 3 last gen systems getting 'slim' models last time out (heck, the PS3/360 got two) but what's on the horizon now seems like a much bigger change.  If rumors are to be believed, the so called Playstation 'Neo' and Xbox 'Scorpio' wont split consumers by offering exclusive titles but will play future games in a more premium fashion with better graphics and a smoother frame-rate. Perhaps not worth double dipping for if you've already got a system but if you're in the market for one, why not spend that same money or slightly more for the more deluxe model?
      Oh, and Nintendo has this thing called the NX coming out, apparently?
      Sony
      We've had the God of War 3 remaster, now it's time for God of 4? There's a new spin off of sorts for Gran Turismo so maybe we'll see some of that. Probably quite a bit of third party exclusive type stuff with Call of Duty and Destiny, is it time for Destiny 2 yet?
      And Last Guardian is definitely coming this year. Absolutely nailed on, 110% guaranteed.
      Microsoft
      Personally, I want me some Crackdown 3 or some more of that Sea of Thieves thing from last year, that looked pretty neat. Gears of 4 will show it's face too, maybe a new Forza. They have the new PC one coming out and it's probably a little too soon for another outing in the main series, possibly another Horizon? Shit, I'm still waiting for Minecraft 2. Outside of the potential new Xbox hardware, there's always Hololens to push since everyone else is doing the whole VR thing.
      Nintendo
      Pokeymans! Open world Zelda next year! The Wii U totally isn't dead, you guys, the NX is just a complimentary system to go alongside your Wii U and 3DS. It's not replacing it whatsoever. By all accounts it's not going to appear at the show but if it did, hopefully they've hired someone better to name the thing so they don't have another 4 years of 'Oh, it's a new system and not just an add on?'
      Bethesda
      With Dishonoured 2 due out this year, what else can we expect to see? There's always more Fallout 4 DLC to push and probably a GotY edition on it's way too. And hey, during the development of that game they did sort of port over Skyrim as a proof of concept dealie so, with all the remasters of years old games that no one asked for (Hello Resident Evil 5/6) why not finish the job and release that? Then BOOM, next gen Elder Scrolls too why not?
      EA
      SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS Mirrors Edge Catal...wait that's just come out SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS Mass Effect...wait that was delayed SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS Erm...new indie thing maybe? Unravel was cute, right?
      Ubisoft
      With the world being a little burnt out on the yearly slog of Assassin's Creed, the franchise is taking a little rest and allowing it's little brother Watch Dogs take another crack at it. Maybe we can all sit back in awe at another set piece and then ultimately be disappointed when the actual game comes out? If not, there's always Alisha Tyler to poke fun at.
      Joking aside, I want to see more of that new Ghost Recon thing where you can take all the different approaches to tackling a mission. That looked cool.
      Other
      New Red Dead, please. And make RDR backwards compatible on the One so I can spent the next 5 months shooting Kaney's donkey before the sequel hits. AND TIMESPLITTERS 4, GODDAMNIT. OR TIMESPLITTERS HD REMIX EDITION. YOU DID THOSE TEASER LEVELS IN THE NEW HOMEFRONT, DO THE REST OF IT.
    • By King Ellis
      Don't call it a comeback...

Yes, it's time once more for 'Gamer Christmas' and I'm back in charge after someone so rudely stole my thunder last year and ruined the finest tradition since Apsham's Festivus celebration. That and there was my unceremonious suspension last year but I digress.

When?

Sunday 14th June

Nintendo World Championships - 3PM (PT) / 11PM (BST)
      Bethesda - 7PM (PT) / 3AM (BST)

Monday 16th June

Microsoft - 9.30 AM (PT) / 5.30PM (BST)
      EA - 1PM / 9PM
      Ubisoft - 3PM / 11PM
      Sony - 6PM / 2AM

Tuesday 17th June

Nintendo - 9AM / 5PM
      Square Enix - 10AM / 6PM
      PC Gaming - 5PM / 1AM

I assume Nintendo will be just a Nintendo Direct again, not sure what the deal with Bethesda, Square Enix and the PC thing and whether or not they're going to be streamed.

Where?

Nintendo @ Nintendo.com
      Sony @ Playstation.com
      E3 @ Xbox.com
      Gametrailers
      IGN
      Gamespot
      E3 on Youtube
      E3 on Twitch

I'm not sure what's happening in regards to Spike TV. Normally they cover it but I think I saw something about Geoff Keighley doing Youtube's stuff this year so I dunno if they're dropping it or he's doing a simulcast thing through Spike and YT?

Twitch normally has stuff on their main channel with developers showing off games they've announced so that might be worth looking at in between the conferences.

E3 2015

Since we are in theory already well established in this latest generation of consoles, presumably things should be a lot more focused on upcoming titles, especially those that will leave older generations behind. But will things like Black Ops 3 not quite ready to jump off that gravy train, how muh of a split will we see? After all, Fallout 4 is next gen only...

Microsoft

In the realm of the hardware Billies, Microsoft has confirmed the recently rumoured 1TB model with new controller that adds a standard audio jack so hopefully wont make too much of a song and dance about it at the show itself, and perhaps wont overshadow that again by bringing out a new 'Slim' system. Since they're still playing catch up with the PS4, they've been re-jiggering their price points for feels like the umpteenth time but will it be enough? Will they have anything new to show off? Halo 5 will be coming this year and they have Tomb Raider in their stable now, maybe since they're so chummy with EA now we'll get a sneak peak at whatever this rumoured new PvZ game is, perhaps Garden Warfare 2?

Sony

Nathan Drake's upcoming PS4 outing is facing a delay but the remastering of his previous outings will surely be on display. Since Microsoft seems to be getting friendly with Oculus and having previously showed off their 'Hololens' technology, will Sony update us on it's own VR headset? Finally, LAST GUARDIAN ON PS3 MAYBE, PERHAPS, POSSIBLY? PLEASE DON'T LET THAT ADORABLE GRIFFIN DOG THING BE DEAD.

Nintendo

Apparently the new Legend of Zelda on Wii U is being downplayed after it's delay but the return of Star Fox is expected after that blurry footage of it a while back during one of Nintendo's videos. We're surely at a much too early stage for whatever the 'NX' is but aside from the parading of the old favourites like Pokemon and Mario, maybe something fresh and out of left field after the recent success of Splatoon?

Bethesda

The aforementioned Fallout 4 is going to be a big part of Bethesda's show but maybe the retuning Doom might show it's face too? The most recent Wolfenstein received a lot of praise, and whilst it's probably too soon for another after it's recent spin off, hopefully DOOM will follow in it's critically acclaimed footsteps. And whilst they're probably too busy with the MMO, how about a next gen Oblivion?!

EA

SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS Mirrors Edge SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS Star Wars Battlefront SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS Mass Effect 4?!?!?!?! SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS New Burnout...please?

Ubisoft

Pip pip cheerio lads, they're going to be showing off that new cockney Assassins Creed game, isn't it? Along with copious amounts of #GirlWood or whatever Aisha Tyler comes up with this year.

Square Enix

I unno, Final Fantasy XV, I guess? And hopefully some more massive trolling with faux FFVII remakes.

Other

DARK SOULS III, BITCHES. JUST WHEN OLLIE THOUGHT HE WAS SAFE FROM CLUTCHES OF FROM SOFTWARE.

So, in conclusion, let's all meet up here at the above times for some healthy mockery of whatever monkey and/or celebrity they roll out on stage whilst also hopefully engaging in some brief moments of shared excitement and optimism before it inevitably turns to shit in a few years *cough*WATCH_DOGS*cough*

ANGRY EDIT:

*heads back to coin op forum after finally finishing typing all this shit up*

"FUCK YOU, RIDER"
    • By EWB's Best Poster.
      Only a week and a half away, things are starting to ramp up!

What are you looking forward to? Hoping to see? What games or consoles do you want to hear more about?
    • By King Ellis
      All in all you're just another brick in the wall

When?

Monday 10th June

Microsoft - 9.30 AM (PDT) 12.30 PM (EST) 5.30 PM (GMT)
      Electronic Arts - 1 PM (PDT) 4 PM (EST) 9 PM (GMT)
      Ubisoft - 3 PM (PST) 6 PM (EST) 11 PM (GMT)
      Sony - 6 PM (PST) 9 PM (EST) 2 AM (GMT)

Tuesday 11th June

Nintendo Direct - 7 AM (PDT) 10 AM (EST) 3PM (GMT)
      Square 'The future of Final Fantasy' - 9 AM (PDT) 12 PM (EST) 5PM (GMT) (Apparently not streamable)

Where?

Nintendo @ Nintendo.com
      Sony @ Playstation.com
      E3 @ Xbox.com

Gametrailers
      IGN
      Gamespot
      E3 on Youtube
      In North America you can watch on your TV via Spike. You can also stream Microsoft's show via your 360 and Sony's show via Playstation Home.

E3 on Twitch.TV

Over on Twitch.tv/Twitch, developers/publishers will be showing off there wares and there's a huge list of titles on show. Times are probably PDT, work it out from there yourselves.

E3 2013 - Looking to the future

The cat is well and truly out of the bag now following Sony and Microsoft holding their own hardware reveal shows in the past few months to showcase their PS4 and Xbox One consoles. With those on the horizon and with Wii U already on the market, it's time to look toward the next gen. Of course, many people would argue with you on the Wii U's status as 'next gen' but that's a different matter.

Microsoft

Microsoft, just weeks ago, had a very polarizing reveal of their new Xbox system, with many fans critical of it's heavy focus on 'entertainment' and asking 'Just where are the games?!'. Well, Microsoft is promising a very different show this time around with the focus entirely on the software. Perhaps a peek at some of those supposed 15 titles due for Xbox One or the 8 new IPs? A supposed leak this week has pointed towards a new Banjo, Halo 5, Dead Rising 3 and Fable 4. Plus, during the Xbox One reveal there was a brief shot of a Crackdown agility orb on the system's dashboard so some familiar favourites might be in store.

In the past few days we've also had some further clarification on their used games policy and whether the One would need a constant connection to the internet. This has done little to halt the flood of criticism directed at them but a feature allowing the sharing of games between yourself and up to 9 of your friends is somewhat intriguing.

The 360 is far from dead though, with Microsoft keen to put it's own spin on the lack of backwards compatibility on the One by suggesting that customers keep their 360's around whilst they offer continued support. Indeed, just this week we've seen the reveal of a HD version of Fable and it's expansion pack, The Lost Chapters. And whilst there is a new Halo of sorts on the way in Halo: Spartan Assault, a twin-stick shooter due on Windows 8 phones, tablets and PCs, could there be room for one more Halo on the 360 before it's takes the leap to Xbox One?
      I would suggest to keep in mind that, even despite their 'nothing but games' assurance, there's still something that's going to slip through and probably a fair share of Kinect demonstrations. But, I think people might be past the whole 'WHERE ARE THE GAMES, M$?!' thing now and have already condemned the One.

Sony

In comparison, Sony drew a much more reserved reaction following the PS4 reveal, despite many scoffing at it's focus on social features such as live streaming gameplay, PVR-esque recording of the last 15 minutes of gameplay which can be saved/shared online and remote access to allow a friend to take control of your game in order to help you past a difficult section.

Following the Xbox One announcement, the PS4 seemed to become the lesser of two evils, even after some confusion over it's own policy on used games led to a huge social media outcry in #PS4noDRM and some Sony developers magnificently trolling the community. Many are still slightly hesitant about the system since not everything about it is fully out in the open but with enough new titles on show, a frank statement on their own policies regarding used games etc and the first reveal of the system itself, Sony could find itself onto a winner come day one.

Especially if The Last Guardian ever gets released on the damn thing but at the rate it's going, that thing probably wont show up till the PS5.

Nintendo

It seems Nintendo's body is not ready for another conference, instead choosing to stick with their Nintendo Direct presentation since they no longer have any big hardware reveals to show off. Plus, if you're a resident of the US or Canada, you can probably pop along to your local Best Buy and check out some of their featured games in the relative comfort of your hometown instead of having to make the trip to the convention floor.

Like Microsoft, Nintendo finds itself under pressure to showcase some games, with the Wii U landscape looking rather barren at present. We should be seeing more on the next Smash Bros though. Plus, will Mario be making a third trip to the Galaxy? Also, with Link getting a new lick of paint in Wind Waker HD and a somewhat mind boggling Link to the Past sequel on 3DS, will there be room for a tease of the next step in the Zelda franchise?

EA

ALL THE SPORTS will be at the forefront again for E3 with their latest attempt at re-animating the corpse of it's NBA Live franchise and their acquisition of the UFC liscence. Outside of SPORTS, there's the likes of Battlefield 4 and a new Need for Speed. Rumours are also abound after the listing of Mirrors Edge 2 on the German Amazon or some such.

Bizarrely, a number of pictures emerged in the past few weeks of Popcap's Plants vs Zombies 'merged' with other EA titles such as Dead Space and Mass Effect. Whilst it appeared to be nothing more than a humourous way to market the upcoming sequel, there are now rumblings that a Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare title could be on the way, some sort of gritty FPS?

With the recent ditching of their 'online pass' service, EA could be turning over a new leaf but cynics would you have you believe this was only done in order to usher in an even greater evil like an EA branded Death Star or some such.

Ubisoft

Ubisoft's event will once more be fronted by #GirlWood herself, Aisha Tyler. Whilst much mockery is made of the shenanigans on show, Ubisoft scored a huge hit last year with it's revelation of Watch Dogs and in many eyes, 'won' E3. With more Watch Dogs likely to be seen, along with the likes of pirate-em-up Assasins Creed 4 and their newest recruit, South Park: The Stick of Truth, could Ubisoft be onto another winner?

Konami

PES 2014...Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2...Metal Gear Solid 5! Patient stumbling down a hallway...exploding whales...Kiefer Sutherland is now voicing Big Boss. A lot of people look pissed.

Best of the rest

As decorations for the show began to go up, banners for Dark Souls II were spotted bearing a 'Coming 2014' message. Is the sequel to the notoriously brutal hack and slash RPG going next gen?

After spending a decade at Microsoft working on the Halo franchise, Bungie flew the next and settled in at Activision with grand designs on an MMO-FPS hybrid named Destiny that would last another ten years, spanning numerous releases.

The Evil Within, from Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami, promises to bring back the true survival horror experience, no doubt he can't be happy with his creations descent into more of an all out action game.

Speaking of Bethesda, Fallout 4 or the next Elder Scrolls game? There'll be info on the Elder Scrolls MMO to make do with at least.

Does Square have anything up it's sleeve in regards to the next Final Fantasy? After the bizarre tease at the PS4 reveal that amounted to just 'be excited for E3', is this Final Fantasy XV, proof that Versus XIII isn't dead yet, or just more on the next XIII sequel and XIV resurrection?

lol, EWB

And now for a quick look back at our reactions to last years show. Just how well did some of those things turn out?

If only 2012 Ruki knew he'd have to wait even longer than March 5th!

Ah, but did you get to play it on release day? BAZINGA!

I hope you didn't buy shares in them.

And here I was thinking my suggestion of Nintendo facing a barrage of 'GET TO DA GAMZ!' was new.

How did that work out for you?

And, whilst not a quote, I did laugh when I got to the part of the Ubisoft show where they were talking about eSports and that little team based shooter thing. I had completely forgotten about that and I can't remember anything ever coming of it. I assume it went the way of Nintendo's Vitality Sensor and Ubisoft's own Lazer Tag.