The E3 2021/Summer Game Fest Thread

Bobfoc

Making this its own thread like we normally do for an E3. Even if Summer Game Fest is it's own thing, like... it's on this day for a reason.

Here's the schedule for the next few days, also:

wXXwE1b.png

Personally I'm trying to keep my expectations manageable, the pandemic absolutely derailed a lot of game development, but here's hoping for a fun few days of announcements and that someone (probably Ubisoft) manages to find a way to invoke the feeling of impending on-stage disaster of years past.

Caught Elden Ring at the end there, why must From Soft continually poke me with these next gen titles? (I'm aware it's going to be on the older gen too)

That's the only thing I've seen from this show aside from the Metal Slug game which seems like an odd franchise to bring back. Has there been any real activity in that series outside of putting out digital releases of older games on various platforms? I remember there being a main series entry on the DS in the late noughties but that's about it. Kinda getting an Advance Wars vibe from it in (obviously) gameplay but aesthetically too. Having vehicles in there too is neat, I wonder if they're independent units you have or if you jump in them for extra fire power like in the main games? Would be interesting if they formed some 'boss' levels as well like the main game.

1 minute ago, King Ellis said:

Caught Elden Ring at the end there, why must From Soft continually poke me with these next gen titles? (I'm aware it's going to be on the older gen too)

That's the only thing I've seen from this show aside from the Metal Slug game which seems like an odd franchise to bring back. Has there been any real activity in that series outside of putting out digital releases of older games on various platforms? I remember there being a main series entry on the DS in the late noughties but that's about it. Kinda getting an Advance Wars vibe from it in (obviously) gameplay but aesthetically too. Having vehicles in there too is neat, I wonder if they're independent units you have or if you jump in them for extra fire power like in the main games? Would be interesting if they formed some 'boss' levels as well like the main game.

An Advance Wars game for the Switch would be an insta-buy from me

5 minutes ago, Krabby said:

An Advance Wars game for the Switch would be an insta-buy from me

There was Wargroove which seemed like a pretty bang on clone of AW, albeit with more of a medieval/fantasy type themed combat rather than modern military.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, King Ellis said:

There was Wargroove which seemed like a pretty bang on clone of AW, albeit with more of a medieval/fantasy type themed combat rather than modern military.

Yeah I haven't tried that yet but it's on my list to check out at some point

I'm guessing Devolver's show tomorrow will be another weird one. Guerrilla Collective ought to include some interesting games, while my interest in Ubisoft's conference hinges on it being an awkward mess. I was interested in Beyond Good and Evil 2 and Skull and Bones when they were announced years ago, but I can see them staying on the vapourware pile for another year.

The first big presentation for me will be the Microsoft one. Although I don't expect anything earth-shattering, it will be good to see what's coming to Game Pass.