Electronic Entertainment Expo 2013 (E3)

King Ellis

Have you played a Zynga game lately? Seems like the perfect guy for the job. "Users have told us they want ads placed directly into their contact lenses, so we've made it mandatory. Don't wear contacts? Stick with your 360."

Even with the fixes, it probably is your best option... if the options are PS4 or Xbox One. If that's the case, I'm still solidly "none of the above." I want a Wii U and I want to see new games on the big machines that aren't just a mildly prettier version of shooty-shooty-pew-pew.

• Like 2

I want a Wii U, but I really want some kind of trophy/achievement system out of home consoles. It's not so much of a thing with handhelds, but I like to play for a long time on home consoles, and I feel like achievements motivate me to finish a game at the very least.

To quote Charlie Brooker on Twitter;

Something very annoying about Edge's unrelenting long-term Sony fetish. Tempted to buy an Xbox One out of bloody-mindedness now.

Let's not forget what a capricious, user-unfriendly snobelisk the PS3 can be. And that PSN hack, etc.

The PS4's nauseating "social" features look set to transform gaming into a ninny's Facebook account with a joystick glued to the front.

The PS4's a better option than the X-Box One, but so far only because the X-Box One isn't a very good option. It's also worth stating that Edge are extremely pro-Sony.

As for the WiiU, yeah, it's the running joke, there are no games for it. How many people joking about that are going to rush out and buy the PS4 on the launch day, regardless of how many games are available for it there and then?

As for reasons to buy the WiiU...it's doing something new and exciting, with a genuinely intuitive and innovative controller, ZombiU isthe most terrifying, and one of the most compelling, games I've ever played, Monster Hunter 3 is superb, New Super Mario Bros U and the free Super Luigi U are the best additions to the Mario series since Galaxy 2, Nintendo Land is a lot of fun, ScribbleNauts is amazing...and there's a decent bunch of really quite exciting new games set to come out for it.

Also, at a time when all three major consoles are obsessed with social networking, Nintendo have provided an actually fantastic social network, that surpasses most dedicated social network sites, let alone the token nod to "sharing" that PS4 and XB1 have offered. Social networking with spoiler tags as standard - yes please.

Yes, there aren't many games for it at the moment, fine. But that seems like an odd criticism when your alternatives are consoles that haven't been released yet.

• Like 1

I feel like I like the Wii U as a concept much more than what it's delivering at the moment. The streaming to gamepad and second screen features are all cool, but they've yet to release a single game that both interests me and capitalizes on their new tech. It really lacks the system seller that Nintendo needed. Granted, PS4 and Xbone don't have anything like that either (unless Knack turns out to be really good), but they can kind of get away with it.

I feel like your point about not many games on it falls apart though Skummy when the Wii U has been out for almost a year and still hasn't got any games on it. So far the Xbone and PS4 have a bunch of titles I'm super excited for due for release either around launch, or a few months afterwards. And as someone that doesn't care all that much for Mario, I have almost no reason to get it.

And yeah, I'm praying that social aspect can be turned off.

Also, I'm the total opposite to your point, Benji. I hate trophies and achievements. They can be fun at times, but I've distanced myself from caring about them. I've gotten pretty tired of being told I've not really beaten the game because I didn't collect 100 feathers.

• Like 1