Official Rap Thread (Reprise)

Gorka

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Donda is… very late Kanye 😕 

That sounds like a nice way to say it sucks. Not at all surprised.

Ew gross there's a song on there with DaBaby and Marilyn Manson.

If I'm understanding it right, Kanye is saying on social media that Universal put the album out without his permission. 

Well it's definitely better than his last two albums. Is it better than the Life of Pablo or MBDTF? So far, no.

I'm on track 7 and I don't think I've heard Kanye actually rap for longer than 5 minutes it seems. Lots of guest features.

I like how Drake just casually leaks a Kanye song with Andre 3000 on it, that also doubles as a Drake diss record, and it’s better than like 98% of CLB.

In any case - both Kanye and Drake’s albums need to be cut down drastically because less is more. In particular, Kanye’s DONDA. There’s a good album in there somewhere, but it’s not this 25 track mess or however many songs it actually is.

On 05/09/2021 at 20:58, tristy said:

I like how Drake just casually leaks a Kanye song with Andre 3000 on it, that also doubles as a Drake diss record, and it’s better than like 98% of CLB.

In any case - both Kanye and Drake’s albums need to be cut down drastically because less is more. In particular, Kanye’s DONDA. There’s a good album in there somewhere, but it’s not this 25 track mess or however many songs it actually is.

Yeah, when I saw how long his album was and that CLB had 21 tracks on it, I knew instantly it wouldn't be anything I'd be interested in after like song number 9. It's just so stagnant after the first 30 minutes. Fair Trade is like the only thing I'd want to listen to again. 

2 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Yeah, when I saw how long his album was and that CLB had 21 tracks on it, I knew instantly it wouldn't be anything I'd be interested in after like song number 9. It's just so stagnant after the first 30 minutes. Fair Trade is like the only thing I'd want to listen to again. 

Why Kanye felt the need to make a part two for a handful of songs, on the same album, is fucking weird to me. I've only listened once, but I couldn't tell a difference in the two parts. So it's just like an extended version of existing songs on the album. And the intro to the album is like a minute long of someone just saying DONDA. I think this weekend I might make a playlist, shortening down the album into something listenable.

I used to really like Drake, but for my tastes, he hasn't done anything that great, as an entire album, since Take Care. Individual songs, sure, hell yeah. But as a cohesive album... no. And part of it is like @livid said, he just hasn't grown as an artist. But I guess one probably doesn't feel the need to do that when one song gets hundreds of millions of hits on YouTube and blows up on social media and shit.

This song's grown on me. At first I didn't care for Baby Keem's verse but after multiple listens I've come around on it, kinda. Kendrick's verse is fucking killer tho.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

RTJ4 Deluxe came out!

It's got all the instrumentals, + "ooh la la" remix ft. Lil Wayne, "the ground below" remix ft. Royal Blood, "No Save Point" from Cyberpunk, and a remix of "JU$T" done by What So Not. I don't really care at all about Wayne on "ooh la la", but the What So Not and Royal Blood remixes are pretty good. 

• Like 1

As much as Cyberpunk was and still is a complete fucking mess - man, they knocked the soundtrack and score out of the fuckin' park. No Save Point is a goddamn banger.

One of my favorite Bonnaroo memories is seeing Run the Jewels live, and a few days later I tweeted at Killer Mike asking him if he enjoyed the festival. And he responded!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

8 people died at Travis Scott's Astroworld Festival, hundreds more treated for injuries. 

CNN:

More than 300 people were treated at a field hospital set up near the festival, Peña said.

Twenty-three people were taken to hospitals, and eight of them died, Peña said. One patient is 10 years old, and at last check was in critical condition, Peña told CNN Saturday morning.

Some of the patients were in cardiac arrest as they were taken to hospitals, Peña said. Further details about the injuries weren't immediately available. The causes of death will be determined by a medical examiner, he said.

The deadly surge came hours after at least one person was injured when people rushed through a VIP entrance to the event in the afternoon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IDK if anyone else watches Verzuz but tonight's is Three Six Mafia vs. Bone Thugs N Harmony, and after performing a song Bizzy Bone took offense to the Three Six crew mocking him on their side of the stage. Looked to me like he threw a water bottle at Gangsta Boo, then the Three Six side rushed the Bone Thugs side and they went to a "technical difficulties" screen for a while, before coming back to someone on the Three Six side continually saying "Bizzy Bone fucked this up, he forgot to take his pills". 

Seems like it's back on track now though. No Bizzy Bone on the Bone Thugs side now however, I think?