Official Rap Thread (Reprise)

Gorka

Prince Markie Dee of the Fat Boys has passed away, age 52. Here's an excerpt from the AVClub's article:

Morales then embarked on a career as a producer, with his list of collaborators in the 1990s reading like a who’s who of major musical trends: Mary J. Blige, Jennifer Lopez, Mariah Carey, Marc Anthony, and Craig Mac all worked with him and used his tunes (including on Blige’s first big hit, “Real Love”). In 1995, the death of Robinson ended any hopes for a possible true Fat Boys reunion, although Wimbley and Morales reportedly played at least a few gigs together in later years, with Doug E. Fresh serving as their beatboxer. Morales spent much of the intervening years on the radio, hosting and DJ-ing stations in and around Miami.

As the article also states, the Fat Boys were responsible for helping beatboxing to become a more mainstream thing as well. 

• 1 month later...

DMX overdosed and had a heart attack last night. One person who talked to TMZ claims he's in a vegetative state.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/9550897/dmx-hospitalized-in-new-york/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

DMX is still in a vegetative state, TMZ is reporting brain function tests will happen tomorrow. And Yahoo reports that after his heart attack he had to be revived 3 times. 

Seeing a lot of "RIP DMX" on the timeline on Twitter, haven't found a trusted source yet though. Apparently he underwent more tests today and his brain function hasn't changed.

4 minutes ago, tristy said:

He tested positive for COVID too.

EDIT: Lots of blue checkmarks on Twitter saying RIP DMX...

Yeah that's why I ran with it and I feel like a bit of an ass because...

He's not wrong lol

Ruff Ryders were a weirdly big part of my formative years. I think a lot of it doesn’t hold up by 2021 standards, but I’ll still bump “Party Up” in his memory. 

1 hour ago, CLDY said:

Ruff Ryders were a weirdly big part of my formative years. I think a lot of it doesn’t hold up by 2021 standards, but I’ll still bump “Party Up” in his memory. 

"Party Up" is still one of my go-to jams. Used to bust it out occasionally when I DJ'd, and never had any complaints. 

Doesn't hurt quite as bad as when Tupac and Jam Master Jay were murdered, or Left Eye was killed, but its up there.

Edited by GhostMachine

13 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Doesn't hurt quite as bad as when Tupac and Jam Master Jay were murdered, or Left Eye was killed, but its up there.

I'm sure you're just speaking to your personal feelings, but either way I can almost guarantee you that there's an entire generation of hip-hop fans that would say this hurts just as much, and maybe even a little more. DMX was the jump off point for a lot of people around my age. And there was a period of time, maybe a couple of years, where he was bigger than artists like Jay-Z or Eminem.

• Like 2

DMX was basically the first hip-hop artist that people of my age group really, really got into. Jay-Z and some others were around but their biggest hits had either already come or hadn't come yet. For 2-3 years DMX churned out banger after banger at a breakneck pace. That's why this one really stings, because he was one of the first people I can remember seeing from their very start but also before I had gotten into music in a way an adolescent does.

• Like 3

Lil Nas X tweeted that "Montero" is being removed from streaming services and it's out of his control, so "stream it hard because I can't say it'll be there tomorrow". However, Billboard is claiming that the song isn't being pulled from streaming services.

He's pretty well known for trolling on Twitter, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what this is? But it's still confusing, right now.