Bright movie appreciation station

K

1 hour ago, K said:

I feel like I'm mental because everyone on twitter, everyone, loves this movie. Critics hate it, but the average audience score on RT is like 90%.

It's fuckin so bad though, it's full of holes, the world isn't interesting, the story is weak.

Gimmie that Orc NFL movie instead, that sounds dope as hell.

I'm assuming it's a genre thing, it's high fantasy, which has some fans who will defend anything to the death, it's why for some, Lord of the Rings are the best movies ever made and for others, it's nine hours of some dudes strolling through New Zealand. I imagine the majority of people who will seek it out straight away just love it because 'Elves'. 

It's just a fucking bad movie. At one time the bad guy sends an assassin after the person who turned, only for later to ask that same person to come back to her side. I don't think I've ever watched a movie that's so ridiculous. 

Why are the Elves living in a high fashion ghetto, that are barricaded and have an army at its entrances?

I don't get into high fantasy all that much but isn't segregating themselves from other races and making big, beautiful cities kind of a thing elves do in a lot of those kinds of stories? I swear it's a thing I've heard of before.

Most of the good high fantasy I've read has High Elves as a bit aloof and justly/overly proud of their cities and culture, with individual ones being full on arrogant about it, but they can be counted on to do the right thing and help out against the big bad. Wood Elves tend to be the more isolationist ones and even then they tend to be more "the exits over there, leave us alone and there'll be no problems" than "kill everyone who enters our territory".

Bad high fantasy on the other hand has Elves as one dimensional assholes from the get go, if not outright bad guys.

12 hours ago, Ruki said:

"Trigger Warning Entertainment"

"Fairy lives don't matter today."

5 minutes in and it's already awful. But my in laws want to watch it.

Yeah, I'm exactly 8:26 in and I think this is bad. And I find Pauly Shore entertaining so make of that what you will. 

Fuck me, this film isn't even subtle. I'm tapping out 17 mins into it. 

On 12/24/2017 at 14:07, Ruki said:

"Trigger Warning Entertainment"

"Fairy lives don't matter today."

5 minutes in and it's already awful. But my in laws want to watch it.

Not that you can believe anything that dickhole says but Landis said that line was an improv by Will Smith. So maybe he is only responsible for 99.8% of the awfulness? I'll knock off another .8% if he came up with the Orcs in the NFL thing. I still fucking love that :lol: 

It wasn't the worst movie I watched this week (hi Downsizing), but yeah it sucks a lot. Interesting idea with lazy, cliche execution and there's no way that's a final draft of a script. Seriously some truly awful writing from Landis, who we already knew was pretty bad. Great makeup though! And it didn't cost me anything except time, which I was already occupying with folding laundry. That's the beauty of Netflix: even though this was trash, they can take risks like this and I'm not really mad about it. If I paid $12 and concessions? I'd be furious.

On 12/27/2017 at 15:03, The Chiksrara Special said:

Not that you can believe anything that dickhole says but Landis said that line was an improv by Will Smith. So maybe he is only responsible for 99.8% of the awfulness? I'll knock off another .8% if he came up with the Orcs in the NFL thing. I still fucking love that :lol: 

Not to defend that dickhole, but apparently David Ayer re-wrote about 90% of the script without input from Landis, which is why LAndis stopped promoting it on Twitter

I do like how Orcish music is hardcore punk though!