Far Cry 5

probablyoliver

Spoilers regarding the ending...

I chose to resist The Father and that caused the world to end or at least a nuclear bomb to go off. So the cult was right all along? A very weird way to end the game.

I checked the other ending and that was a bad outcome too.

I can't use Boomer.  Him getting hurt sounds too much like a real dog and I can't stand it

• Like 1

Thoughts on the multi-player part of the game? My buddy really wants me to pick this up for that purpose but if the multi-player is trash I'm gonna try and talk him into monster hunter. 

On 4/5/2018 at 06:50, Lint said:

I can't use Boomer.  Him getting hurt sounds too much like a real dog and I can't stand it

My 'issue' with Boomer is that he is overpowered as all hell. For a dog, he is a killing machine if used right.

I finished the campaign. I was never too invested in the story anyway, so the endings don't bother me nearly as much as it did guys on the Ubi forums.

Now onto my main gripe, and I'm glad it's not just me not completely happy about it...

The game is sold as one you can play your own way, freely moving between regions etc. That part is true, but fucking hell, they don't half love taking you away from the exploration. The forced captures are annoying, and the instant boss battles once the resistance bar is filled in Faith and Jacob's regions are awful.

Also, the resistance bar fills way too quickly. Almost everything you do fills it, from "random" encounters with the cult (which are too regular) to clearing an Outpost. In the two regions after Falls End, I managed about a third of the missions before the bar was filled and they were lost forever. 

Now, after the game has finished, I'm left with side missions, but I won't know about a HUGE amount of story missions because I wasn't able to get through them. Somebody said that in Faith's region, I think, the only way to get all of the story missions done is to make sure you do nothing else that raises the resistance bar, which is easier said than done.

So on paper, the idea is great, but I hope that if they do bring out a New Game+ mode (which seems the top request on the forums), the resistance meter is also higher as well so I can experience more of the missions. I have no interest in starting from scratch with no perks unlocked, only to miss more missions again and be forced to fight the leaders.

I do really like the Arcade though, and I've been getting involved in the Live Events and Ubisoft Club challenges, so I'll be playing this for a while yet. I just hope they do bring a New Game+ to give me a reason to play for these Silver Bars in the challenges. 

I picked this up on a whim because a friend has it and I'm loving the multi-player aspect but the idea of there not being a new game+ and missing out on story stuff is a real bummer. I don't usually do more than one playthrough on any games that don't have the new game +

Once a region is finished, any story mission that hasn't been activated already can no longer be done, AFAIK. The side missions stay as they are though.

I think I got to something silly like 13/41 missions in Jacob's region before I got to the 10000RP. The easiest way for them to combat this is to stop the forced cut scene into the boss battle (like in John's region where you have to go and meet him) and to make the bar fill up slower. I mean I'm glad you don't need to do EVERY mission in a region to finish the story, but 13/41 is pretty fucking low.

Re; that ending.

Yeah. I dunno. That kinda ruined the happy place I had with this game in a way. I chose to arrest him and then read up on the other ending and it's just weird - it's choose your bad ending and that is a stark contrast from the goofiness in the rest of the game. That and some other weird tone missions (ha ha, landmines and cows!) really tore me out of the fun that I was having with it. Decided to do a trade-in on it and pick up something else when I was planning on keeping it for Arcade and future stuff.

Spoilers...I think?  I haven't finished the game, so I really dunno

Had to cool on this for a while because work got crazy, but finally finished the story last night.

Spoiler

Gotta say, I don't really get the hate for the Resist ending. Is it bleak? Sure as shit it is, but so are most Far Cry endings. Perhaps not quite as bleak as Nuclear Armageddon, admittedly, but who needs a happy ending? I personally really liked it. It was tense, atmospheric, and genuinely shocked me. I have a few questions that went unanswered, but I really love how it turns out the game was telling you how it was going to end all along, right down to Faith literally spelling out "you're going to prove him right" or whatever it is she says right before she dies. My only gripe with the story is that I wasn't able to save Faith - of the four of them, she seemed like the one that was most lost and redeemable, especially since she seems to have a change of heart right at the end of her life. I suppose this was by design to make her death his harder, though. All in all, not many complaints from me. Not the strongest in the series by any means, but memorable and enjoyable? Yep.

Edit: Whoops, used Quote tags instead of Spoiler tags.

Edited by Nerf
  • Like 1

http://www.powerpyx.com/far-cry-5-all-silver-bars-locations/

That's a really good guide to get the silver bars from all 24 locations. Breaks it down by region, with screenshots. Got my bars up over 1000 now after doing some of the Ubisoft Club challenges in the last few weeks. 

I'm building them up because if we don't ever get a NewGame+ mode, at least I'll have enough bars to buy the better weapons very early on. Definitely holding out on it though. Having fun in the Arcade, plus State of Decay 2 is out next month, so there's no rush.

Spoiler

My issues with the game aren't exactly that it wasn't a happy ending - and saying that the ones in this game aren't exactly on the same level as the other ones is a bit of an understatement - but it's the weird tonal shifts throughout the whole thing and the lack of any sense that bugs me.

1 hour ago, Van Shammer said:
  Hide contents

My issues with the game aren't exactly that it wasn't a happy ending - and saying that the ones in this game aren't exactly on the same level as the other ones is a bit of an understatement - but it's the weird tonal shifts throughout the whole thing and the lack of any sense that bugs me.

Spoiler

What exactly doesn't make any sense to you? All three mini bosses allude to the end of the world or you being the harbinger of doom or proving Joseph right, Joseph himself quotes the impending apocalypse and the world going up in flames, radio stations and NPCs throughout talk about nuclear conflict with North Korea. The entire story is basically a carbon copy of how Revelations predicts end times will come about, just in a modern setting. The Sherrif's name is literally Whitehorse, ffs. Promotional material for the game literally includes the Seed siblings sat upon four horses. The tone is pretty consistent throughout, sans a few moments of comic relief that are pretty synonymous with Far Cry at this point.