E3 2018

GoGo Yubari

11 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

It's less a case of Ridley being a major game character and more a case of Smash Bros. players requesting his inclusion for years.

Yeah, Ridley was like the big one from the Smash 4 cycle that people kept asking for and didn't get. That was pretty neat, especially the "hit the big time" joke because their excuse last time was that Ridley was too large a character to fit the stage.

That being said, I thought that was a really middling Nintendo conference. I'm excited for Mario Party and Smash but I wanted concrete details on their Online service and something on at least one big 2019 release and there wasn't really any of that. I guess new Fire Emblem is neat too but it feels like there's always a new Fire Emblem. Not that that series is in my wheelhouse, but it's weird to announce a Metroid Prime last year and then not mention it once this year.

For me, the press conferences rank something like: Microsoft (set forth a thesis, supported it, kept things moving briskly), Ubisoft (strong roster of games), Sony (sold me really hard on most of the main games in spite of an odd format and Death Stranding not really giving me anything I found engaging), Nintendo (some neat stuff but not even Smash Ultimate really got me irrationally exuberant), EA (solely because of their token charming European gamedevs, otherwise they were honestly pretty sad to watch), Square (better games lineup than EA but it just felt inconsequential because they gave away their best stuff to Microsoft).