UEFA Champions League 2019/20

Lineker

I don't get the goalie-line thing at all. Like, I'm sure it's been the law forever but I just heard people saying this season they're going to actually start taking it seriously or something? And then they don't. Just throw it on the "whatever the fuck" pile along with handball intepretations and the like.

The law has changed. Rather than the ref having discretion to decide if the keeper has gained a big advantage by coming off his line early, it's now a VARable test to see if one foot is still touching the line as "the ball is played" (which of course is as shonky as the offside one). 

It's a horrible rule for me which didn't need to be added, attackers have enough advantage in a penalty situation without keepers having to worry about false starts more than actually saving the thing. Especially when you think about stuttery runups and the like.

They've gone from not wanting to rereferee the game 5 years ago to now taking almost all judgement and interpretation away from match officials, even down to that "stop play if the ball hits you". Any ref making a jump from lower leagues to top flight/internationals is now basically learning a completely different game.

1 minute ago, MDK said:

The Charity Shield of Europe. 

The most meaningful of trophies....its an actual trophy unlike that tin pot dinner plate <_<

• 2 weeks later...

I really do like the way the Champions and European winners go to Pot 1. I like that actually winning means something more, and I feel like we've gotten some more difficult draws as a result. Always feels like the vast majority of Pot 2 are a draw you don't want, and Pot 3 is getting close to that status too.

However, it may also just be that because I'm not used to us being in the Champions League consistently 😑😂

• Admin

Pot 1 Liverpool, Chelsea, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain, Zenit St Petersburg.
Pot 2 Real Madrid, Atlético Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Napoli, Shakhtar Donetsk, Tottenham, Ajax, Benfica.
Pot 3 Lyon, Bayer Leverkusen, RB Salzburg, Olympiakos, Club Brugge, Valencia, Internazionale, Dinamo Zagreb.
Pot 4 Lokomotiv Moscow, Genk, Galatasaray, RB Leipzig, Slavia Prague, Red Star Belgrade, Atalanta, Lille.

• Admin
14 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

What on Earth did Eric Cantona just say?

“As flies to wanton boys, we are for the Gods. They kill us for the sport. Soon the science will not only be able to throw down the ageing of the cells, the science will fix the cells to the state, and so we’ll become ... only accidents, crimes, wars will still kill us. But unfortunately, crimes and wars will multiply. I love football. Thank you.”

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Not even bothered in terms of the quality of the teams we may get in the draw as long as we don't have a group full of stupidly long trips. 

• Admin

GROUP A
PSG
Real Madrid
Club Brugge
Galatasaray

GROUP B
Bayern Munich
Tottenham
Olympiacos
Red Star Belgrade

GROUP C