UEFA Europa League 2023/24

Lineker

1 minute ago, METALMAN said:

On the positive side you’ve messed up England’s coefficient real nice 

Always a joy to piss off the rest of the country! 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

Fifth UCL spot in the mud. Great job Liverpool and West Ham 🙃

Anytime! :)

4 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

Least the two games against United was piss poor finishing. 

That was just piss poor all round. Possibly the worst performance in a few years that. It's weird cause I've not come away from the ground thinking we've been outplayed here. Thought they were solid and that's it.

Instead I've come away feeling all 3 goals were avoidable, no one was making any movement and the tempo was slow and thay we just couldn't kick a ball to anyone in a red shirt properly

Yeah that was an embarrassing performance today from far too many players. Gomez, Virg, and Konate especially. Gomez seems to love all the SHOOT chants he gets now, so it's all he does. Dude should get fined a week's wage everytime he shoots from now on 🤣 I feel bad criticizing Kelleher at all because yes he was very bad on the first goal, but the two saves he made in the first half were excellent. He was severely let down by his defense.

Think the last two matches have shown one of the biggest issues for Liverpool. We're typically an elite chance creation side, but don't have a single elite chance converter. Jota could maybe be classified as one, but he's unfortunately always getting hurt (often through just rotten luck)

I didn't see the game but the most level headed comments I saw to the Liverpool result were that Atalanta were good, Liverpool weren't and the team selection was a risk that didn't pay off.

Its unfortunate. But Jota is back, Trent was on the bench and it looks like Alisson is on his way back too.

I'd prefer to have lost 3-0 away but last time Liverpool played Atalanta was in the champions league and they lost 2-0 at home but they won 5-0 away.

The caveat being that it was 2020 but shows its not impossible for Liverpool to go there and score 3 at least.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Perfect start for Liverpool...

Origi scored in the 7th minute vs Barca in 2019. Salah's penalty was also in the 7th minute...

This has been a frustrating one to watch. Liverpool pretty much have just resorted to kick it long and hope for the best. They haven't really made Atalanta work for it at all. It doesn't help that Trent was asked to play when he's clearly not fit or has any rhythm, and that Mo Salah is pretty much a net negative for Liverpool right now. I don't think I've ever seen him play this poorly in his entire Liverpool career.

Atalanta got their tactics spot on in the 2nd half. 

Just another limp performance with no creativity, bad passes and just what feels a lack of effort

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Szumi said:

Mo Salah is pretty much a net negative for Liverpool right now. I don't think I've ever seen him play this poorly in his entire Liverpool career.

The injury earlier this year is probably still affecting him in some way

Liverpool are in a place where there's a number of key players  coming back from injury just a little too late and the second choice players are flagging

For me its a combo of 

1) players who haven't been injured are probably fatigued. Especially cause a lot of games we've gone behind and then have had to chase and comeback. Mac Allister for example has played a lot of minutes

2) Players are coming back and having to get up to speed again 

3) Issues with finishing and creativity hasn't helped. You can have all the ball and no create anything or have loads of shots but if they're crap it means nothing. 

4) Klopp looks so tired and I think the emotional drain is there for players, staff and fans as well. A lots been put on the "fairytale ending" from all sides. 

5) Teams have just got their tactics right. Palace exploited spaces left and defended well, Atalanta hurried us with the press and when we had the ball and they weren't pressing marked all available options

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cymbols said:

6) Liverpool are washed

State of the other 17 teams in the league being below washed up Liverpool

2 hours ago, Cymbols said:

6) Liverpool are washed

Virgil Van Dijk famously smells really nice and they do a lot of ads for Nivea and stuff so I imagine they do wash regularly

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Hobo said:

Virgil Van Dijk famously smells really nice and they do a lot of ads for Nivea and stuff so I imagine they do wash regularly

Troy Deeney said he was the nicest smelling defender he's come up against. 

But then Troy Deeney has said some mad stuff over the last few months so don't think his word holds up to much.

2 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

Troy Deeney said he was the nicest smelling defender he's come up against. 

But then Troy Deeney has said some mad stuff over the last few months so don't think his word holds up to much.

VVD smells so nice that it made Troy Deeney lose his mind

12 hours ago, Hobo said:

The injury earlier this year is probably still affecting him in some way

Liverpool are in a place where there's a number of key players  coming back from injury just a little too late and the second choice players are flagging

Oh absolutely! What you and David both said are spot on. I've said before that he's just never been right since coming back from that injury. He's just played so poorly, and he's not alone in that. Jones especially has been really bad since coming back, and Trent and Jota as well. Which I can't really blame them for. It's really tough to come back and hit maximum levels of performance when you have no rhythm or fitness built up, but you're in the run in where every match has huge consequences to them. 

The crazy thing is that Liverpool I think I saw from the United draw, Atalanta loss, and Palace loss, Liverpool scored the 2 goals from over 9.0xG! They created loads in all 3 matches, but man they're just a really bad finishing side!

The guys who helped us get through the injury crisis are definitely exhausted and it shows. Virg, Endo, and MacAllister all look spent, and I can't blame them.

It sucks that what had so much promise 5 weeks ago, is going to end so meekly. I don't think a single Liverpool fan is expecting us to win the title at this point, sadly.

14 hours ago, Szumi said:

I don't think a single Liverpool fan is expecting us to win the title at this point, sadly.

i just like to see them win games and see what happens

Another factor with Salah is that he was coming back from injury during Ramadan. Fasting can't help him be at his best when he's also trying to get back to 100% match sharpness.