What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Reno 911: Miami - 4/10

It was funny, but I didn't really understand the plot. Maybe it was because I was doing lines in the backseat of the car while I was watching the movie. Either way, it had The Rock in it! hahaha.

The Devil's Rejects: 7.5/10. Would've been a 5.5 if it wasn't for the final scene with Free Bird.

Hot Fuzz: 8.5/10. Not as good as SotD, but it was still really enjoyable. I wish they'd hurry up and make La Triviata, though.

Edited by therockbox

I've been watching "Two Guys, A Girl And A Pizza Place" from the beginning. I used to think that the show began its downward spiral when the Berg and Ashley storyline took its final turn, but I've reason to reconsider. Quickly, my thoughts by season(spoilers?):

1 - The least refined of the bunch, but funny for its own reasons. I liked Bill and Mr. Bauer, but they made Melissa lame beyond her funny rant in the pilot. The awkward airing of the shows had Melissa and Pete frequently going from together to broken up without explanation. I think Sharon may have been her best in season one though, and the pizza place was used the best. Best Episode - "The Pilot"

2 - This one introduced some of the more romantic comedy elements. Nathan Fillion and Suzanne Cryer joined the cast as Johnny Donnelly and Ashley (no last name ever given), and both aided in the comedy. Fillion was classic bad ass as usual, and Cryer played of Berg and Pete really well. Better than season one. Best Episode - "Two Guys, A Girl And the Storm of the Century"

3 - I've just finished season 3, and I've concluded that barring my second viewing of season 4 going way differently than last time, this is the best year the show had. The conclusion of the Pete/Sharon cliffhanger was resolved reasonably well, and played a pretty good pretense to the eventual break-up to Ashley and Berg. Sharon and Johnny are awesome all year, and the interaction of the three guys is all great. I didn't like Irene the first time watching, but I've changed my opinion on her. Best Episode - "Feast Or Fireman"

Looking forward to season 4. Only the silent episode really sticks out to me; that one was awesome. So far: 3>2>1

The Number 23 - 2.5/10

Typical Joel Schumacher fare: it's visually striking, stylish and completely devoid of any substance. Jim Carrey and Virginia Madsen try hard to make it work, but it feels like even they are struggling to work under the weight of how silly the screenplay is. I was in a completely mainstream unassuming theatre to see this flick, and the atmosphere quickly devolved as the constant barrage of lunacy turned the audience to laugh at the unintentional humour of every twist and turn. The most disturbing element of "The Number 23" is not any shocking twists or turns, but rather that there are people who actually believe this garbage. Ludicrious, thinly written and incredibly tame. Avoid.

thehost3.jpg

7.5/10

A totally unqiue monster movie that includes humour and political satire(more than I expected) and focuses on the characters the entire way through. It's a hghly enjoyable film with great thrills at the beginning.

Edited by Laice07

Final Destination 3 - 3.5/10

A must-see for all cynical cocks who like to watch and mock bad films. Kris Lemche has the badassest death ever. EVER.

Zodiac: 8/10: It kinda drags in the second half of this almost 3 hour film, but with that minor gripe, I found it one of Fincher's best. Their are also a couple of chilling scenes that only Fincher could do. Their was also Great performances from all cast members, but Mark Ruffalo steals the show. He really needs to get out of the Romantic Comedies and do more films like this. The funny thing is, I even enjoyed him in those comedies. Robert Downey was also a standout, and I'm eagerly anticipating what he does with Ironman. This film is what the Good Shepard should of been....interesting even though it's really dialogue driven. This film is really about the characters wrapped around breaking the identity of the zodiac, and not really about the actual killer. Just don't expect se7en.

Breach: 7/10: An enjoyable movie on one of the biggest CIA mole ever. Great acting from Chris Cooper, but not really worth seeing it at the big screen. A highly recommended rental though.

Watched a movie for each day of the weekend.

Dracula (1931)

A horror classic. The movie doesn't have any background music, which I feel really adds to the overall feel of the film. Bela Lugosi gives an outstanding performance as Count Dracula - you gotta love his voice. What makes the movie so great is the suspense. It doesn't rely on "shock value" which most horror films do today. For a movie starring a vampire, it's not violent at all. This is a movie you can recommend to children. I even preferred this to Nosferatu, which came as a shock to me. Easily Dracula is the greatest vampire/Dracula movie ever made.

8.5/10

Dracula (1992)

Let me mention first, this isn't a remake of the 1931 classic. This is more-so based off the 1897 novel "Dracula". I watched this literally right after the 1931 film - they are entirely different films. The original was 75 minutes, and this version is 128minutes, over 50 minutes longer. Also unlike the original, this is NOT recommendable to children. There are many haunting images as well as a lot of sexual innuendo. Gary Oldman did a fairly good as Count Dracula, more than I was expecting. But it's Winona Ryder that really stands to me in this movie. Her performance in this movie is one reason why she's one of my favourite actresses. Dracula (1992) a fairly good movie. It does however drag on, and 2 hours is really unnecessary.

7/10

Pink Floyd's The Wall (1982)

Whether you call it a movie or a 95minute music video, there's no denying this is something special that does justice to the album. Don't expect this to be like most films though. Watching "The Wall" is like walking from painting-to-painting in a museum and trying to make sense of them all. Some will, some won't. But even with the ones you don't understand, you can still appreciate them.

7.5/10

The Departed - 9/10

So it appears that for the second time in three years, the best movie of the year won Best Picture after all. Just awesome from beginning to end. I like how Scorsese sold everything about it, even the language worked within the context of the movie. The movie is quite long, but nothing in it seems unnecessary and all of the performances are great, even if Nicholson had the tendency to over-act. Just a great, great film. And, of course, the ending is badass.

Super Troopers - 7/10

Funny. I doubt I can consider it a comedy classic, but there are some memorably hilarious scenes in the movie and hey...at least it was better than Club Dread.

Ghost Rider 6/10

Start is terrible, in the first twenty minutes, I was really wondering why I'd bothered to go and see this. Then it picks up and just stays watchable for the rest of the film. Some of the fights are laughably anti-climatic, but there is a good chase scene. Nicholas Cage is good but not great. Eva Mendes is pretty fit. That's about it.

Anchorman 8/10

About the fourth/fifth time of seeing this, and it never gets old.

The Usual Suspects 8/10

Great, clever film. I want to leave it a while, then watch it when it isn't 2AM and when I haven't had alcochol, and I'm sure I'll like it more.

Crimson Tide 5/10

Not bad, just SO boring. As dull a film as I've seen in ages.

Bridge to Terabithia: 8/10: This is how a family film should get made. Great acting by the children too, but one of my friends hated since he thought it would be some type of Narnia fantasy film.....which it is not. It's deeper, and better, and this is coming from a huge fan of Narnia.

Children of the Corn

Only watch this movie expecting your average "B horror flick". Acting was pretty bad (although Linda was alright). The plot was kind of ridiculous, but not bad. There wasn't really anything in this movie that stood out as "good". If you're a fan of horror or Stephen King, it wouldn't hurt to watch.

5.5/10

An Inconvenient Truth 7/10

This is the Al Gore documentary on Global Warming. An Inconvenient Truth is basically footage of Al Gore giving a lecture on Global Warming, and this is broken up with little bits on Gore's life, although all are enviroment releated in some way. At 90 minutes, its hardly a long film, but it does feel like it would work better as an hour-long special, rather than a full feature. Here, the film-makers were in sort of a catch-22 situation. Without the added bits about Gore's life, and with some of the more 'filler' presentation material cut out, it is precisely the hour special that you feel the film should be. However, without the extra footage on Gore, your basically watching an hour plus souped-up powerpoint presentation, so maybe it is better having those little bits in to stop people's mind wandering.

As for the presentation, it gives a great report on the real impact of global warming, with some REAL 'HOLY FUCK.....' moments, that genuinely make you realise the severity of the situation. The film is also a fair but funnier than you might expect, Gore has a charisma about him, and there are some good little quips and some nice little gags (some at the expense of the Bush administration that work well given Gore's past) that help keep the film entertaining, so on the whole it does a great job of educating you on the problem of global warming.

It's not all perfect though, as at times, particularly in the middle of the film, the audience is just thrown graph and chart after graph and chart, and this can be overwhelming, and the impact of each chart becomes smaller and smaller in the mass of data that is produced, nevermind the fact it makes some things harder to remember.

Towards the end, some of the points become a bit tenuous, like Gore is getting every point and argument on global warming EVER out there, rather than just the key ones, and the film loses a little focus at the end.

It also does little to say exactly what we can actually DO to stop the problem (its mostly just saying there IS one), it isn't until the closing credits that the film gives some everyday tips for people to follow.

Overall then, An Inconvenient Truth is a very enlightening talk on global warming that does really make you think, or at least properly acknowledge the problem at hand. Gore does a good job in delivering this presentation. With some of the material cut to allow the major points to come across more easily and to help audience concentration and understanding, and with more information on tackling the issue, this would be an even better, more useful and impactful film about global warming.