What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

The Illusionist

General Plot: Poor kid in 1900s Austria befriends rich girl when young, grow to become lovers, rich girl's parents don't like it so stop them seeing each other, poor kid runs away, comes back later as illusionist and wins rich girl over all over again, weird shit happens.

Stars: Ed Norton, Jessica Biel, Paul Giamatti

How Edward Norton didn't even get NOMINATED for an Oscar for this, I'll never fucking know. Will Smith? FUCK Will Smith! Edward Norton was amazing as Eisenheim. In fact, the entire cast was amazing. Yes, even Jessica Biel.

This is the type of film you can't really comment on to much without spoiling anything (because unlike Outlaw, things actually HAPPEN IN IT), but suffice to say that it was a brilliant story, brilliantly told, with a brilliant ending, and I loved it. It's always harder to review things that were good.

Reil's Rating: 8/10. Fuck anyone who didn't like it.

Also, Gerard Butler's Scottish accent kept coming through which was great.

Wenham of course was Faramir and was probably cooler in 300.

Vincent Regan I recognised from a load of English TV.

Andrew Pleavin turned up in The Bill and Doctors.

Xerxes was in Lost.

Loads of the cast were English actors who had slummed it on ITV dramas and such. Was cool to watch.

Today, I watched Laputa - Castle In The Sky as a part of my 'Miyazaki is a fucking GOD, watch all his stuff' kick, and I was fairly disappointed. The animation is lovely, the characters are cute and you're starting to get Stockholm Syndrome for them eventually, and they do a good enough job with the premise (isn't it some odd Japanese legend?) but... meh. The plot isn't exactly good, the steampunk stuff was done way better in basically every other film he's done, and watching it right after Howl's Moving Castle was just a big, big step back.

7/10 for a decent enough effort, but nothing overly special compared to what else is on offer from Studio Ghibli.

How Edward Norton didn't even get NOMINATED for an Oscar for this, I'll never fucking know. Will Smith? FUCK Will Smith! Edward Norton was amazing as Eisenheim. In fact, the entire cast was amazing. Yes, even Jessica Biel.

Got to love this film, your right Norton was over looked for the Oscar his performance in this was great. Also the film and the cast played it so well i actually give it a 9/10, i urge anyone to watch it and say it was shit, becuase trust me it isn't.

Amazing Grace 8/10

A great film about William Wilberforce's long battle to get an act through parliament to abolish the slave trade. Its very well directed, and the performances range from good to great - even though he's only in two or three scenes, Michael Gambon > . It gets better as it goes on too, starting around the seven range, then just getting better, until the last half an hour is fantastic. Just a really damn good, inspiring story.

I might be tempted to give it an even higher rating.

Blades Of Glory

6/10

Meh. It's an okay movie, nothing exceptional but nothing to make it terrible either. I usually love Ferrells movies, but this one just didn't have it. Probably my least favorite of his starring roles so far, but that could be due to the fact that Jon Heder brought it down a bit for me. However, with Will Arnett and Jenna Fischer in it too, I left happy.

Daredevil 6/10

THIS is the definition of an alright film, in that NOTHING is really wrong with the film, and I can watch it, but also NOTHING about this is good, or stands out in anyway. No scene is bad, but none stand-out.

Visually its alright, performances are all right, its made to an alright standard, the direction is alright, the script is alright, Daredevil is the most alright film ever! The worst part is the sub-standard story, but even then, its not BAD.

I did say nothing was really wrong with the film, but there was plenty of room for improvement. Its all over FAR too quickly, to the point where I really cannot believe that was it, it was just SO rushed through. The ending with Kingpin was crap, The Elektra love story was really rushed through, so there is no attatchment to their relationship, because he only knows her for five minutes, so I can't buy that he loved her THAT much. No character was developed, and Daredevil just goes through both Bullseye and Kingpin at the end in a few minutes. It all needs just so much more padding out, mostly Murdock and Elektra romance (because that had a woeful lack of depth, to the point where it was almost crap), the two villains, and the story needed a lot more little touches to pad it out (plus some polishing), as did the sub-plot (consisting of one scene >_>) with Ulrich investigating Murdock.

Why did they make Foggy a twat?

All in all, like I said at the start, this isn't particularly bad, or good, its just Daredevil, my new word for anything that doesn't succeed or fail in any way, sitting forever exactly on the boundary between the two.

In a note, a friend is meant to be lending me the directors cut sometime which has half an hour extra footage, I hope this helps my main problem with the lack of any depth and the VERY short run-time. I just hope it makes the whole thing (mainly the fights) a bit more exciting, because it isn't at all in its main form.

Night of the Living Dead

Great film. I've been having a discussion with a friend today though. It's a GOOD film, and obviously, it's a classic, and it's hailed as a masterpeice by so many critics, but it's just a GOOD film.

I really have to fight myself to give it ****, and I don't think I can do it.

One of my favourite films, but *** is all it gets. Which is better than average, it's a good rating.

Anyway, the whole thing turned into an "entertainment" vs "cinema" debate, and that why if you enjoyed a film immensely, you wouldn't give it *****.

Big Daddy- One hell of a good movie, haven't watched it in a while, so I thought I'd pop it in and watch. Adam Sandler is a true movie God, this one makes me cry every time :blush: 9/10

Mallrats- One of the funniest movies I've seen in 2007, even if it is an older movie, I love Kevin Smith so much :wub: 9.5/10

Edited by slain

The Lookout - 9/10

It's overlooked, new and it has Gordon-Levitt in it, which idiot doesn't want a taste of this fine peice..

Edited by mAXi

Guest Ringy Said Knock You Out

Grindhouse was fun. I really liked both films, and all the campy stuff they did was just awesome. Much like Snakes on a Plane, I think this is a movie you gotta see out of your house and with other people. All in all good times.

Nightmare on Elm Street: 8/10

Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge: 7.5/10

-This movie is definitely underrated. On horror movie message boards I post on, many call this one of the worst in the franchise, which I find quite ridiculous. Freddy's Revenge is easily the second best (just behind the original). The acting is fairly good, it's darker then the original, Freddy looks his best in this movie (makeup wise), and I love the plot. Jesse getting 'possessed' by Freddy made this movie unique when compared to other slasher flicks.