What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Blades of Glory 7/10

Decent enough comedy, but with Will Arnett. I laughed whenever he came on screen, just because it's Will Arnett. Will Ferrell was really good, and the Naoplean Dynamite guy was alright. Overall, it was fine, shat all over Dodegball and Talladega, but not in the same league, or even same sport as Anchorman.

The Office - Safety Training: 4.5/5

What an awesome episode. It had me laughing from start to finish. From Michael continually interupting Daryll in the warehouse to Dwight tossing the watermelon off the roof, this episode was superb. I'm glad Andy's back but I was hoping for a bigger role in his returning episode. All he really did was get the bouncy castle for Dwight. Oh, and Dwight's shun thing was hilarious too.

Smokin' Aces - ** out of *****

As for Aqua Teen, it totally makes no sense. And this is from someone who enjoys the show. Things happen for no reason, and there is zero plot. I only laughed at one Phil Collins reference, which then ceased to be funny the other 4 times they used it because they made reference to it. They also ruined all of their bit characters by having them come in and suck the life out of the movie. The Cybernetic Ghost of XMas Past is a personal favorite, only he's fucking lame and annoying as one of the main characters in the film. It's like Quagmire and Zoidberg respectfully, they are good in short 30 second doses...but give them their own episode and you see that they really are lame one-dimensional characters.

They could have gone balls out and made a weird 80 minute movie with a plot and a goal in mind, but instead, they hit the shuffle button on their iPod and thought it was funny.

It isn't. At all.

Children Of Men

:o

When i went out for a breath of fresh air after this, i looked at the world in a whole different light, jesus, this was amazing.

9.5/10

Smokin' Aces: 8/10

I'm not one to overly-analyze a movie and really just look for movies that I think will entertain me. I can recognize a great movie from a bad one, but movies like these just entertain me. I saw it in theaters and it was good so I bought it for my birthday and I'm still not disappointed. The biggest flaw in the movie IMO is the fact that it was billed as an action-comedy with action throughout but it doesn't do that. Good performances from Jeremy Piven (in his usual dick-type of role) and Ryan Reynolds and a surprisingly good performance by Martin Henderson. Joe Carnahan is getting a lot of flack for underdelivering with this movie but I think it's a good movie and I'm looking forward to his future projects, one of which includes the story of Pablo Escobar, which is ironic considering Piven and the Entourage Co. are currently dealing with that in the show.

I know I've seen Jackie Brown, but it's such a big blur in my head that I don't remember most of it. I think I might rent it someday soon and check it out.

That being said, yeah, I was disappointed in the character kill in Pulp Fiction, but sometimes killing the character makes you feel more for said character, especially if they have character flaws that one may look down upon.

SUNSHINE: 8.5/10

It was truly incredible. Amazing visuals, phenominal soundtrack (Underworld. Boyle knows how to make a soundtrack), fantastic acting, an ongoing claustrophobic dread pushed alongside the phenominal power of the sun.

Even when they're out in the depths of infinite space, they're still in the claustrophobic confines of suits.

Yes I'm just back from it and probably hyped but it's honestly the best movie I've seen at the cinema in a few years (since Zatoichi probably) and also the best sci-fi since the original Alien. Which is saying a lot. I don't put the Star Wars saga as sci-fi but it would beat most of those.

Alien

Absolutely brilliant. I thought I'd seen this round my mates house when I was a lot younger, but I must of been thinking of Aliens. The bit in the air vents was the first time a films made me scared in a long long time. Class movie

8/10

Bride Of Chucky

Personally I was glad when they let comedy take the emphasis in this film, not a classic by any means, but has some laugh out loud moments

7/10

Groundhog Day 8/10

This ceeps into the eight range for a very good finish. The first half an hour is just sort of there, but then the film picks up and has several laugh out loud moments. It's often not so much what Bill Murray says, its either what he's doing or his facial expressions that are so funny. If there is a little too much girly romance in there, the film does generally get better and better as it goes on, and the strong last third edges this into the eight range. Overall an enjoyable film I'd happily watch again, and probably again.

Hot Fuzz

Another brilliant parody from Edgar Wright. If you loved Shaun of the Dead, you'll love this. Plus, it lampoons the cheesy action movie genre that takes itself way too seriously. Definitely see it, so far it's the funniest movie of the year.

Anyone watch Dead Mans Shoes last night?

Really enjoyed it, easily a 9/10 film. Considine is awesome in it and the film flutters between dark drama and comedy with ease. A seriously enjoyable film, it'll be repeated on Film4 within the week. Watch it.

EDIT - Actually, seeing as Zero's mentioned Hot Fuzz above. Those who don't know who Considine is, will probably recognise him from Hot Fuzz. He's one of the two arsehole cops.

Edited by Wilson Regal

Saw Fracture the other day. If you're a huge Anthony Hopkins mark, you might want to see this in the theater, otherwise, wait till video. If you're not a fan of Hopkins or Gosling, then you probably won't be interested in this movie at all. Decent movie, but nothing spectacular or anything.

Saw Fracture the other day. If you're a huge Anthony Hopkins mark, you might want to see this in the theater, otherwise, wait till video. If you're not a fan of Hopkins or Gosling, then you probably won't be interested in this movie at all. Decent movie, but nothing spectacular or anything.

Isn't that the one where the critics are saying "Oh, he's acting like Hannibal again"?

I'd call it Hannibal-Lite, but yeah.

Isn't that the one where the critics are saying "Oh, he's acting like Hannibal again"?

Edited by ROC

Just randomly picked up Star Trek Voyager Season 5 second-hand at CEX. I don't own any of the other seasons yet, but then the first DS9 season I bought was 6 and I didn't care. Plus sitting through all the early season Kazon/Kes/Seska bullshit would have just depressed me.

In the first episode of the season, Night, we see the debut of Captain Proton (one of the better Star Trek holodeck scenarios, with possibly the Sherlock Holmes and Bashir/James Bond ones being on the same level) and also the ultra-polluting Malon. I always thought the Malon were okay, but didn't have as good a lifespan as some of Voyager's other semi-regular enemies (like that species of hunters...I forget their name). The episode is dragged down a bit by a Janeway emo trip, but the next time she pops back up she's wielding a phaser rifle and taking charge. That's about the only way I can stand Janeway - normally when she's being all diplomatic she ends up looking like a failed Picard-lite. Emo trips are definitely unwarranted, but it's when she effectively says "fuck this shit" and starts blowing stuff up that I can accept her again.

Something I hadn't noticed before: the sheer concentration of cheesy quips, far moreso than either DS9 or even Next Generation. Tuvok especially. "I believe I can shed some light on our situation" - ohoho, by using a flare to let us see in the dark, geddit? Christ. Seven actually provides the funniest moment of the episode, when Tom takes her into the Captain Proton program and tells her to "keep the robot occupied while I save Earth". Seven looks at the clunky, 1950s sci-fi robot for one second. "Citizen of Earth, surrender! Do not resist!" it says. "I am Borg," says she, and rips out a wire to grind the automaton to a halt. "The robot has been neutralised. May I leave now?"

On the whole, not a standout Star Trek episode, but a good one nonetheless and certainly better than some of the shit Voyager has been known to put out. 7/10