What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

28 Weeks Later: 6/10

Some really bad scenes made by bad decisions by the characters (and the script) does not take down the fact its still a fun horror film with more good than bad going for it and amazing shots that made 28 days later look so good, and the best horror film this year so far. 28 days later is superior, but as a sequal it could of been a lot worse...bring on 28 months later. Come to think of it, if you count Death Proof as a horror film, then its the second best horror film this year.

Edited by Laice07

This weekend I was in the mood for something a little different.

The Wasp Woman

Film Quality: 3/10

Entertainment: 6/10

Bride of the Monster

Film Quality: 3/10

Entertainment: 8/10

Leave it to Ed Wood to make an awful movie that's fun to watch all way through.

Recently:

Sin City 8/10

28 Weeks Later 7/10

28 Weeks Later is a perfectly acceptable sequel, offering a more action and a more obvious zombie based follow-up to 28 Days Later. Its an example of the sort of film where nothing is really wrong, but the film fails to really engage the viewer at all. Robert Carlyle's character is the only one you ever really get attatched too. It's just a perfectly acceptable sequel.

Mallrats 7/10

(Maybe 7.5/10, but probably not)

A very enjoyable movie. It's not so enjoyable for the comedy, as I only laughed once or twice - it's not that I didn't enjoy the humor and I didn't dislike any of it, I just wasn't the sort of laugh out loud humour. It's enjoyable for the characters, who are great, you really get into them, and for the dialogue which is mostly great, but with the odd poor bit. The performances are very good too, expecially two excellent performances from the lead actors, Jason Lee and Jeremy London. I suggest you all see it, if you haven't yet done-so. And to be honest, you've had twelve years. Then again, I don't know what my excuse was until today either.

Harry Potter I: 8/10

I don't much care for the movies because the books just happen to kick their asses. But, I find that the Potter movies are ok for book adaptations. Most books don't do good movies, IMO. I mostly used it for backdrop while I read a book though. This one gets an 8 because I think it's the closest to any of the books as you can get...

Night At The Museum 7/10 - Wasn't expecting the flick to be that good , but I was pleasantly surprised. A good family friendly movie

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (4/10)

Seeing the ending of the trilogy and most of the plot lines get atleast partially resolved is the only reason i am giving the film that score... oh... and the acting, which was good.

Other than that, the film is a mess. Go see it if you saw 1 and 2, just so you can see it and get it over with. It is WAY too confusing.

Most of the time, i had no idea who was getting killed, who was betraying whom, who wanted what, who was on which ship, what each person was doing or whatever.

There was about 20 interwinding storylines the film, and only about half of them got fully resolved. only about 1 or 2 of them were done correctly.

Don't avoid this film if you saw 1 and 2, but just come with a clear head. I expected it to be confusing and i was still confused. I couldn't help it, the whole 2nd hour i had no idea what the hell was going on, and the only reason i enjoyed the 3rd hour was because i focused my mind on like 5 storylines and didn't pay attention to the rest.

Alot of the jokes and gags went on way too long, and it seemed like Gore V. wanted to make some scenes artistic and epic, while at the same time, trying to tell 20 different stories. They could have easily cut 10 or 20 minutes from this near 3 hour movie. The length didn't bother me in the end, just certain scenes wouldn't end.

It was just so damn confusing. The movie was screaming for a scene where the characters sat down and explained what the hell was going on, which was impossible, because they all had thier own agendas and were ready to backstab each other on a dime.

Imagine watching 3 episodes of IMPACT! Dec/2006 Russo-style that includes all of the TNA roster in each episode having their own seperate stories. Yeah... its kinda like that.

Edited by Universal

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End 9/10

You kn ow I've read reviews like the one above that say they were confused throughout but I was never once lost or confused during the entire movie. It all seemed to fit together perfectly for me and I don't understand what was so confusing about the plot.

I loved the movie and thought it was better then Dead Man's Chest. I was worried because all these recent trilogies have had pretty bad third parts. I thought the action was great, Geoffrey Rush made me remember that I missed him a lot in Dead Man's Chest.

Overall, just an awesome summer movie and great closing to a great trilogy.

Black Snake Moan 7/10

A generally good, but disjointed film. After a VERY sub-par first hour it picks up with some strong scenes, and a good performance from Christina Ricci coupled with a very good performance from Samuel L. Jackson who has plenty of witty one liners. It may be very sub-par at first, and it does drag, but overall Black Snake Moan is a perfectly acceptable film with two strong lead performances.

You kn ow I've read reviews like the one above that say they were confused throughout but I was never once lost or confused during the entire movie. It all seemed to fit together perfectly for me and I don't understand what was so confusing about the plot.

I loved the movie and thought it was better then Dead Man's Chest. I was worried because all these recent trilogies have had pretty bad third parts. I thought the action was great, Geoffrey Rush made me remember that I missed him a lot in Dead Man's Chest.

Overall, just an awesome summer movie and great closing to a great trilogy.

Agreed 100% - I don't see what was so confusing. Yeah, there's a lot going on, but at least the movie doesn't insult my intelligence and hold my hand the entire way through. That's a huge issue I have with movies these days, they're way too dumbed down and beat me over the head with every minor detail. My only problem was it was difficult to hear the movie with the sound of about 200 teenage girls creaming themselves whenever Johnny Depp or Orlando Bloom were on screen.

Odd side note though, someone had a seizure in my theater about ten minutes into the movie, good thing we weren't watching the Pokemon Movie...

Four Rooms - 6/10

So this is what happens when Tarantino just goes crazy and thinks up another wacky concept. Four Rooms is the "lost Tarantino flick", moreso than Jackie Brown, just because not a damn person remembered it. And in some cases, like the inane opening segment, there's a good reason for it. Barring Ione Skye's tits (I'm being honest) there's nothing of worth in a random segment about witches especially since nothing at all comes out of it plot-wise. The second segment is much better, though, also weird as shit. Robert Rodriguez directs segment three, and it's hard not to come out of the movie thinking it was the best segment simply because Antonio Banderas is great in the scene. And then the last segment is Quentin being Quentin, which means a shitty obscure build to a solid ending.

Oh, also, Tim Roth is pretty solid at being manic and going from the hard badass of Reservoir Dogs, to the timid Ted the Bellhop. In fact, Roth may be the only thing that really saves the movie.

Four Rooms isn't really a Tarantino movie though. He only directs "The Man From Hollywood" segment - which is the best and is vintage Tarantino. Robert Rodriguez directs "The Misbehavors" (second best), Alexander Rockwell directs "The Wrong Man" and Allison Anders directs "The Missing Ingredient,"which is the first (and worst) skit.

Four Rooms isn't really a Tarantino movie though. He only directs "The Man From Hollywood" segment - which is the best and is vintage Tarantino. Robert Rodriguez directs "The Misbehavors" (second best), Alexander Rockwell directs "The Wrong Man" and Allison Anders directs "The Missing Ingredient,"which is the first (and worst) skit.

Pirates of the Caribbean - At World's End: 3/10

I loved Curse of the Black Pearl (8/10). Dead Man's Chest I originally loved but after a second viewing I realized it wasn't that great and I was disappointed (6/10). I went into "At World's End" with very low expectations, and it was still a lot worse then I was expecting.

The characters...I just don't know what happened there. Jack, Will, Elizabeth, Barbosa, I loved these characters in the original. I hated them in this. I did not enjoy any character in this entire movie (not even Jack Sparrow, which is a travesty as I love Johnny Depp and all his roles).

The plot...I tried to get into it. I just couldn't. The film tried way too hard to tell many stories at once. By the 100 minute mark, I just didn't care anymore and wanted the movie to end.

The movie wasn't all bad though. Visually, it was superb. And the acting was pretty good. Though still the worst film of 2007 I've seen thus far.