What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

28 Days Later 8/10

I reallly enjoyed this movie, and could have rated it higher possibly. It doesn't explain a few things, like I know there was an evacuation, but surely they'd still be tonnes of infected people wandering around, or tonnes of dead bodies yet the streets are empty, but that doesn't take anything away from the film as it was always intended to be a film more foucsed on the human response rather than the 'zombies' themselves (as opposed to Dawn of the Dead for instance).

After a slow start the story and plot become really engaging and the performances are fantastic, from Cillian Murphy being excellent as the 'hero' of the film, to Naomie Harris being very good also, to Christopher Eccelstone being good in his smallish part, to Brendan Gleeson doing a fantasic job of playing Ray Winstone. Great stuff, very enjoyable and brilliantly made film.

My Name Is Earl - "The Trial" - 9/10

Holy shit. This was one of those format changing, well produced episodes that define the way we remember a show. Awesome use of music, great work from Jason Lee and a fantastic script. We've had some great moments on sitcoms this year ("Robin Sparkles", Carla saying goodbye to Laverne on "Scrubs", "the black crusaders", the entire "Traveling Salesmen" episode of "The Office"), but I think the last 5 minutes of tonight's season finale has put Earl right at the forefront. It's comedy's workhorse, and maybe after tonight a darkhorse at this year's Emmy Awards.

The Sopranos - "Walk Like a Man" 8.5/10

..Wow is all I can say. This episode set up perfectly the tornado of chaos going on in the final few episodes of the show. I won't release any spoilers, but, just wow. Another classic Paulie/Christopher feud episode, which was awesome, as usual. Great episode.

28 Weeks Later: 7/10

Extremely good direction, definitely the high point along with some of the camera work. Acting was kinda average and (see spoiler below) was annoying but that's life. Also they overused the excellent "In A Heartbeat" score from the first film but otherwise the soundtrack was of course good from my new fave movie composer - John Murphy,

Also, it blows all these "body horror" and blatant horrors out of the water. It actually puts you into some AMAZING horror situations that the stupid Hostels etc of this world couldn't dream of - namely Carlysle's running away from the Rage-infected across the countryside, and when all the folk are put in containment for their protection but you KNOW something bad's fonna break out. Very very good in stages. Also how dangerous the armed forces can be when given orders, almost becoming monsters themselves.

So all in all a very good movie that holds up even under a couple of annoying moments and threads.

Robert Carlysle's "nemesis" style continued chase after his kids was stupid.

Requiem for a Dream - 9/10

I just finished watching it now for the first time. The last half our killed me. Really shows you how drugs can fuck up your life.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - 7.5/10

Gotta give them props, they really ratcheted up the action to make up for a weaker though hardly bad Depp performance (not Depp's fault, but maybe more the writing team's fault). The new players in this are great, especially Nighy as Jones and Skarsgaard as Bootstrap Bill. In fact, it's Skarsgaard who manages to be the most sympathetic character to me throughout the movie. While most of the characters find some point to show off a villainous, selfish side, Bill Turner always goes for the unselfish approach and never gets rewarded for it. (Well, not yet anyway.)

This all said, great action scenes and an engaging story is the type of thing that really makes me want to see At World's End. Just nine days!

Smallville - "Phantom" - 6.5/10

This was a really disappointing payoff to an otherwise great season. We finally find out Chloe's superpower and then... well I won't spoil it. After half a season of Lex/Clark stuff, Clark's final arc of the year is almost entirely based around the Phantom Zone. I guess we have to wait 4 months to have what was really the major arc of the second half of the season dealt with in any way. The narrative was completely muddled; the pacing made every story but Clark's seem like an afterthought. It almost seemed like they were trying to do too much, and a second hour may have helped. You've got at least 3 major characters in serious peril, and it had enough build up to be watchable, but after a string of great season finales elsewhere, this comes off as extremely disappointing.

Supernatural - All Hell Breaks Loose (Pt.2) - 9/10

With the exception of the last 10 minutes, I didn't care too much for pt.1. The killing of multiple characters kinda annoyed me. Though pt.2 was much better. One of the best episodes of Season 2. Though if you compare season finales, this kinda lacks when compared to "Devil's Trap".

Shrek: 8/10

Shrek 2: 7.5/10

Shrek The Third: 6.5/10

Honestly, it was better than expected. Judging from the trailer, I was expecting crap. It still had a lot of funny moments. Though the story wasn't as good as in the previous installments. And while there were a lot of good jokes, there were a nice bit of jokes that didn't work at all.

Honey I Blew Up the Kid: 5/10

While nowhere near as good as the first movie of Shrinking the Kids, it was rather welcomed since it was the only thing on other than the Cosby Show at 3AM this morning.

Star Wars Ep. I: 7/10

It's definitely one of the worst of the six movies, but not the absolute worst. And while it didn't live up to the hype, it's not as bad as the critic reviews. I still prefer the original trilogy to the new one, but what can I say? Overall, the 7 could of been higher had they opted for no Jar Jar.

Harry Potter I: 8/10

I don't much care for the movies because the books just happen to kick their asses. But, I find that the Potter movies are ok for book adaptations. Most books don't do good movies, IMO. I mostly used it for backdrop while I read a book though. This one gets an 8 because I think it's the closest to any of the books as you can get...

Technically saw this last night, but...

Pan's Labyrinth: 6.5/10

It's dark, deep, and depressing, at times poignant and ironic, and at other times absolutely cringe-worthy, but alas, it just doesn't live up to all the hype it received.

Batman (1989)

Well, it was my favourite a good few years back, but looking at it now it's just not the same. But hey, it's the JOKER, and that Museum scene always makes me laugh, whether it's because it's funny or terrible, I do not know. 6/10

Edited by andrethegiantstopfan

This weekend was an interesting film weekend for me, I suppose.

Night at the Museum - 5/10

I must give director Shawn Levy credit. He made the type of movie that is intensely mediocre and yet intriguing to watch. Ben Stiller isn't funny in this to the point where a Robin Williams cameo actually makes the film better. The biggest problem with his everyman schtick here is that once again it comes off more like he's an asshole. But on the upside, the cameos were alright (I mark for Steve Coogan always), Carla Gugino was pretty hot again, and as mentioned before, the movie was pleasant. They just needed it to be a lot funnier, though.

Rocky Balboa - 7/10

Yes! This is the conclusion that almost anyone could want in a Rocky movie. I like that Stallone took all the fuel that people gave him in laughing off a Rocky VI and really put it into the material. It's definitely a Rocky film, but I like that while it has to fall to obvious cliches (obviously the training montage HAD to stay, and it was awesome), other cliches didn't get in the way of a very well done ending. To its discredit, it does seem Stallone tends to babble a lot, but I gotta give him props for trying and mostly succeeding in creating a sense of heart for his characters. He could've easily gone the route of a Rocky IV where he just fought for whatever reason, but he made it seem real, even down to the fight itself. Also, Antonio Tarver really shouldn't act again. He's practically playing himself, and he still sucks. But all in all, a solid concluding chapter to the Rocky movies.

I think I'll be watching Mallrats again today, because I just have to.

Mallrats - 7/10

In fairness, it actually wasn't as funny as I remembered it to be, but it definitely was funny as hell around the last part. Honest look at relationships, though, I definitely think Kevin Smith's other films were better able to tackle the subject (that's probably not Smith's fault so much as the bigwig studio pressuring him to make it more commercial). And obviously, Jason Lee is Jason Lee is Jason Lee, which was awesome.

Vulgar - 3/10

From one Kevin Smith effort to one he had a hand in, Vulgar comes from Smith buddy Bryan Johnson. To put it in simple terms, the film is disturbing. The beginning onset plays off like a cheap version of a Smith film only to turn completely disturbing then attempt to make it up. Simply put, Johnson doesn't know how to balance comic ideas with sad imagery. Hell, to compare it to another disturbing movie, even Irreversible was funny at parts...and actually funny. Here, there's just no sympathy in it. I dunno, it's just a depressing movie...and it's terrible. Just...ugh.

Crank - 7/10

Funny as hell. I have no idea whether that was for better or for worse, but positive grade because I was on the floor laughing the entire time and it was just great.