What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

300 - 6/10

Okay, first be warned: if you go see 300, be prepared for a movie with the kind of bravado and homoeroticism that would make Maverick himself blush. It's also way over the top, and filled with every ancient epic movie cliche ever. That said, if you're in it for what the directors had in mind, who cares? It's entertaining popcorn, effectively exploiting the digital backlot technique to make an epic looking action flick on a mid-level budget. The gore is pretty constant, it's plastered with beautiful people (of both genres for those inclined either way), and most importantly, it sticks to Frank Miller's storytelling. It's no Sin City, but it's fine.

300 - 9/10

I loved this movie. I felt like I was watching a movie like I haven't seen before. I was really only worried that I'd feel like I was watching a music video but instead I was really blow away. Only thing I didn't like was the last monologue, it was a little long. But my complaint is small compared to how much I loved this movie.

300 - 5.5/10

An entertaining movie, if you like looking at naked men and random amounts of violence. As far as visual effects and art style go, it's classic Frank Miller, even if some of the spots are rather obviously CGI. (the shipwreck scene, for instance)

Unfortunately, everything felt rather hollow at points, as character development ranges from non-existent to WWE-writing-staff-level. The Queen of the Spartans is absolutely stiff, and her key scene at the council is almost cringe worthy. For a movie that is supposed to be 'epic', not once did I ever feel impressed. (and I'm a sucker for epic spots - rewatching scenes like the charge of the Rohirrim in ROTK or when the Interceptor engages the Black Pearl in Pirates still gives me chills to this day)

Oh, and the Oracle is hot.

Pursuit of Happyness 5.5/10

Meh. I couldn't help but feel the film was leading up the something, but that something never came. Whatever.

Edited by Gongsun Zan

Wild Hogs - 3.5/10

This is what happens when you film a mid-life crisis. 300 filled 120 minutes with bravado, and it worked, because it was a really cool action epic. John Travolta does it and you've gotta wonder what he's trying to overcompensate for. This is a really lame comedy that never really gets off the ground and never produces any real laughs beyond the sparing moments awarded to John C. McGinley in a cameo role that probably would have been terrible in other hands. While the film appears to feature a ton of wasted talent, I can't help but wonder if the problem is the writing or just the over the hill stars. Or both. Either way, an inexcusable waste of money for anyone so inclined.

Ghostrider: 2/10

Terrible, terrible movie. Acting was not good. I usually like Nicholas Cage, but he was very bad in this movie. The CGI was abysmal. The actual Ghostrider looked like it came out of an N64 game. Though, along with Happy Feet this is easily of the greatest unintentional comedies I've watched. Only watch this movie if you want to laugh at it all way through.

Bachelor Party Vegas - 4/10

I'm not going to beat around the bush: I only wanted to see this flick after seeing "Hot Tamale" and witnessing the hotness that is Diora Baird. The movie did not have the finest of pedigrees, and the results did little to change my initial thoughts. That said, I was struck by how tolerable this was for an "indie does mainstream" flick like this. Buried underneath the mounds of teen comedy cliches and juvenile impulses was just a little bit of humanity. The likeable cast made the element of true friendship seem not entirely tacked on, and I can honestly say that I didn't expect that going in. The rest was garbage though.

8/10

This movie had some really good action scenes, but that is expected of it. It also had a decent story, but some of it I couldn't get into. Anything involving the Queen seemed dragged out and dull, but the rest made up for it. This is still a good movie, but I think the fact that its in a theatre is what made it so solid, once it comes out on DVD the experience will be far less enjoyable, but still fun.

Step Up - 5/10

An otherwise dreary film elevated slightly by its energetic dance sequences and likeable leads. They probably should have stuck to the dancing though.

Wild Hogs - 3.5/10

any real laughs beyond the sparing moments awarded to John C. McGinley in a cameo role that probably would have been terrible in other hands.

Clearly the movie earns another point for showing McGinley's great white ass.

Wild Hogs - 3.5/10

any real laughs beyond the sparing moments awarded to John C. McGinley in a cameo role that probably would have been terrible in other hands.

Clearly the movie earns another point for showing McGinley's great white ass.

Man, I finished season 4 of "Two Guys And A Girl" (way better than I remembered), and then ran through the three seasons of "Norm" on the weekend. Now I don't know which was better. I'd probably have to admit the writing on Two Guys was better, but Norm MacDonald makes any material funny, good or bad. The only thing for certain is that The WB and ABC were ace in the last half of the 90's, while everyone else was shit.

Dead Silence: 3.5/10

At least Seed of Chucky had Jennifer Tily.

Zodiac - **** out of *****

Best movie of the year so far, but that's easy considering there is zero competition. That and Black Snake Moan are the only two movies in 2007 that I've seen and enjoyed.

Wilderness:****/*****

A group of juvenile delinquents are forced to fight for their lives after being sent the forest for an exercise in teamwork and tracked by a crossbow-wielding madman with a pack of flesh-eating dogs. The Young Offenders Institution is the kind of place kids are sent when all hope is lost. In order to test their mettle in an environment where every decision counts, the powers that be at the Young Offenders Institution send their worst offenders into deep into the woods for a tough-love lesson in character-building. Suddenly surrounded by dense forestation, deadly rapids, and a jagged coastline that makes escape virtually impossible, the young criminals must band together after their group leaders are ruthlessly slaughtered. With time running out and their numbers quickly dwindling, these tough-talking teens must put their survival skills to the ultimate test and band together to take down a merciless predator who relishes in watching his victims suffer.

Night at the Muesum - 7/10

Fairly decent, humorous, and overall better than expected

Happy Feet - 6/10

Slow start, got better, but medicore at best.

Eragon - 6/10

Not as bad as people made it out to be, regardless of the blatant stealing of past fantasy movies (ex: Star Wars)