What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

It's an intense movie from start to finish - I adore stuff like that but you really have to choose the right time to watch it... alone on a somber morning was pretty much the best choice for me. There's a ton of silence in the film and all three main actors just absolutely blow it out of the fucking water. It's uncomfortable to watch, it's depressing and you can pretty much pick out what parts were sensationalized but it's still a fucking visceral film.

I watched Fury today, thought it was okay, wasn't blown away by it or anything. For some reason I was expecting something less serious? Might have been because of the title, I just read it and assumed it was going to be some kind of stylised war film kind of like Inglourious Basterds. In any case, wasn't bad, wasn't great.

Foxcatcher you guys.

Holy fuck.

Foxcatcher.

So, yeah, this.

One of those films I thought was really good, but couldn't say I enjoyed? Just an uncomfortable tone almost the entire way through. Felt like a voyeur or something at times.

Ruffalo, Carell and Tatum all very, very good too. Is Mark Ruffalo ever not good though. I would cast him in every role in some theoretical film I'm not actually making. Bet he could pull it off easy too.

• Like 1

Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed is less fun. The first one felt like it was made for people who grew up watching Scooby and wanted some cheeky adult nods and winks along with the story, but this one felt more like a slightly sub-par kods movie (not that there's anything wrong with kids movies at all).

I watched America's Sweethearts today. It's sort of weird to see Julia Roberts in what seems like a supporting role turn into one of the lead roles midway through, though. It's a great ensemble piece, though. The Seth Green bit part is an especially nice treat, since he's playing such a clean-cut stooge that you don't even realize it's him until he speaks.

Dallas Buyers Club

Oh god McConaughey looks The Machinist levels of shit in this. And I had no idea Jared Leto was Rayon (one of the main characters) until I checked the cast list on IMDB. Not really my thing but a really good story with some amazing performances.

If anyone has any doubts about whether or not Leto can pull off The Joker look no further than Dallas Buyers Club.

Had you never seen it before now? :o Oh man, I'd kill to experience them for the first time again.

Speaking of trilogies, I'm about to watch the first movie in a major trilogy. I've tried watching it thrice before and have never managed to make it all the way through because they didn't interest me. So here goes... fourth time and I'm forcing myself all the way through The Godfather. Hopefully I come out with a higher opinion of it when I get all the way through.

• Like 1

If you're going in to it thinking it's going to be a slog then you're not gonna like it. It's a character study that follows the major swing in disposition and morality of Michael Corleone. It's more fascinating to follow how his personality shifts than watching it just as a run of the mill gangster flick.