General Television Thread

Hellfire

16 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

I think I'm done with Quantico after this season ends.

That bad? I watched through Season 1, and I got Season 2 standing there until it finishes/I catch up on other series. Season 1 got a bit too soapy-melodramatic from time to time, but the mystery aspect was strong and kept me hooked.

Reading the synopsis of episode 1 of S2 made me feel they were going into circles a little bit, is that about true, or are there other (non-spoiler) reasons that you'd stop watching?

Oh, they're going in circles with a few things. And there's too much WTF?! going on this season, compared to last. Too confusing. I like the additions of Blair Underwood and Russell Tovey to the show, but not enough to keep watching next season unless the writers really shake things up.  I kind of hope they kill off Shelby before the season is done.

This season they infiltrated the CIA. Next season could be the NSA, I suppose.....

2 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Oh, they're going in circles with a few things. And there's too much WTF?! going on this season, compared to last. Too confusing. I like the additions of Blair Underwood and Russell Tovey to the show, but not enough to keep watching next season unless the writers really shake things up.  I kind of hope they kill off Shelby before the season is done.

This season they infiltrated the CIA. Next season could be the NSA, I suppose.....

Yeah, the infiltration angle kinda loses its potency after a while >_>

Finally got around to this year's Sherlock. Spoilers for all...

Spoiler

Episode one wasn't so great but I was glad to see Mary go. She was such a painful character and her death serves the show better than her alive.

Episode two was terrific, reminded me of early Sherlock. Really thought this was the best of the bunch by a mile.

Episode three was full of potential but turned out to be an absolute shit show. Just an absolutely awful ending, as if I wasn't already sceptical about the "other sibling" angle. I don't know how they managed to screw the pooch so badly with that ending 

10 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

Yeah, the infiltration angle kinda loses its potency after a while >_>

Personally, I'm waiting for them to infiltrate the U.S. Postal Service. Sadly, it won't include a crossover with the Hallmark Channel's Signed, Sealed, Delivered movies. (Yes, I admit I watch those. Shut up.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Benji said:

Finally got around to this year's Sherlock. Spoilers for all...

Reveal hidden contents

Have they said anything new about the possibility of this last series being the finale? I know Cumberbatch is signed on for series 5, but last I heard they weren't sure if they wanted to do a series 5.

8 hours ago, Cloudy said:

Have they said anything new about the possibility of this last series being the finale? I know Cumberbatch is signed on for series 5, but last I heard they weren't sure if they wanted to do a series 5.

The last I read was that they don't honestly know, but do want to do it. They have some ideas sketched out, and said the idea is to return them to fighting complex crimes.

• Like 1

I really hope so. That second episode was so good, I think in large part because it followed that formula. They've moved way too far away from the basic premise of "Sherlock Holmes but in the modern day" and way too far into the same stupid "we wrote ourselves into a corner over and over" bullshit that Doctor Who suffers from for my tastes.

Woke up an hour or so early for work this morning and decided to bite it and delete the first episode of the latest series of Homeland and the latest episodes of Hawaii 5-0 I had. Too much good TV to be loyal to shows that went too far down the plug hole. Then proceeded to spend half an hour wondering what to use my new found time to watch on Netflix before giving up on trying to make a decision and going for a shower instead :shifty:

2 hours ago, Benji said:

Woke up an hour or so early for work this morning and decided to bite it and delete the first episode of the latest series of Homeland and the latest episodes of Hawaii 5-0 I had. Too much good TV to be loyal to shows that went too far down the plug hole. Then proceeded to spend half an hour wondering what to use my new found time to watch on Netflix before giving up on trying to make a decision and going for a shower instead :shifty:

First episode of this season of Homeland was good, though. :shifty:

• Like 1

So was all of season four, but season five put me off again with how inconsistent it was. Not got the patience for it any longer, I'd rather watch something new and exciting, no point watching setting aside an hour a week for twelve or so weeks for a show I'm not enjoying any longer when I could be exploring new options that I enjoy. I'll probably marathon it at some point, I did that with the first season and I think the show lends well to watching in that manner.

Just now, Baddar said:

Fortitude is back tonight. Really enjoyed series 1.

I liked Fortitude but the opening song really pisses me off. So much so that it put me off watching it when it originally came out, I recently binged through it though.

I watched the series pilot of 'Taboo' yesterday, a BBC1 pseudo horror-thriller with Tom Hardy set in 1812 where Hardy's character returns after being presumed dead for ten years. I loved the pilot (am a very biased Hardy fan). Lots of recognisable faces who really knocked it out of the park (Jon Pryce, aka High Sparrow, plays a delightful scumbag EiC chairman). And the best part I felt is that it kept me hooked throughout without really divulging anything about Hardy's character other than rumour from others, and also don't have the character make clear what he's gonna do with the plot mcguffin.

It has supernatural aspects, with some crazy visuals. But Tom Hardy really shines well as the is he/isn't he insane lead character.

Can really suggest if you liked Penny Dreadful or other pre-victorian timepieces with a shitload of supernatural-esque mystery and intrigue

Edited by Jasonmufc

4 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

I watched the series pilot of 'Taboo' yesterday, a BBC1 pseudo horror-thriller with Tom Hardy set in 1912 where Hardy's character returns after being presumed dead for ten years. I loved the pilot (am a very biased Hardy fan). Lots of recognisable faces who really knocked it out of the park (Jon Pryce, aka High Sparrow, plays a delightful scumbag EiC chairman). And the best part I felt is that it kept me hooked throughout without really divulging anything about Hardy's character other than rumour from others, and also don't have the character make clear what he's gonna do with the plot mcguffin.

It has supernatural aspects, with some crazy visuals. But Tom Hardy really shines well as the is he/isn't he insane lead character.

Can really suggest if you liked Penny Dreadful or other pre-victorian timepieces with a shitload of supernatural-esque mystery and intrigue

I think it is set in 1812 :P