General boxing thread

EddieG

Cotto v. Martinez tonight at the Garden. Very excited! Should be an awesome matchup.

Me and the missus are fighting in the kitchen but you don't hear any one talking about that.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Wladimir Klitschko defends the WBA (Super), IBF, WBO, IBO and The Ring world heavyweight titles against Kubrat Pulev tonight in Hamburg, Germany, show starts at 8pm on British Eurosport 2. The undefeted Pulev is arguably the toughest opponent Klitschko has had as champion, his victory over Ustinov really showed that he is much more than just a padded record, however I'd still expect Dr. Steelhammer to retain.

The German undercards are rarely entertaining but the Pawlak/Gutknecht match could be a bit of a firecracker.

Ringwalk is in 5 minutes for those interested in watching.

Also Derek Chisora against Tyson Fury has been moved to 29th November and the winner will become a mandatory challenger for Klitschko, as long as Klitschko wins tonight.

The 29/11/14 card also has Chris Eubank Jr challenging Billy Joe Saunders for the European Middleweight Title and WBO World Middleweight Eliminator, both are undefeated and will easily be Eubank Jr's biggest challenge to date.

• Like 1

A decent night of British boxing tonight, headlined by the rematch between Nathan Cleverly and Tony Bellew for the WBO and WBA Intercontinental Cruiserweight Titles. On the undercard, Anthony Joshua in an expected squash match against Michael Sprott in a British Heavyweight Title eliminator, George Groves makes his first defence of the WBC Silver Super Middleweight Title and James DeGale looks for his tenth straight win as he takes on Marco Antonio Periban.

Also, in the early hours, Manny Pacquiao takes on Chris Algieri.

Yeah, Cleverly and Bellew are hardly headliners and I can't imagine this will do too well on the buyrate. It is a decent card top to bottom, just lacks the muscle at the top. I think it is a dearth of draws throughout European boxing (barring Klitschko) than just a singularly British problem.