The MST3K Thread

Josh

I should have posted this here sooner, but better last-minute than never. Tonight, RiffTrax will be doing a live, brand new riffing of Manos that will be broadcast in movie theaters across the U.S.! I know GoGo, LD, and I will be attending in our respective cities.

That was a really fun show. I hadn't been to one of these yet, and it was better than I hoped. The attention to detail was really fun - as people were getting seated prior to the start time, there were mock Movie Trivia slides and Rifftones songs playing! I didn't even notice it wasn't the standard "here's some crappy useless ads" stuff at first. Well done.

Before the feature, there were two shorts: "Welcome Back, Norman" and "At Your Fingertips: Cylinders" (the former was just fucking outstanding, the latter still pretty fun) and an old prune juice commercial. They didn't so much riff on the commercial as they did present it like it was a sponsor. Bizzare and funny. There was also a special appearance sketch from the guy who's making the Manos sequel as Torgo. That bit wasn't that great, in my opinion, but fun to see his involvement. After the feature, they played his Torgo Version of Take It Easy, featuring some footage from the sequel. Snitsky!

The feature itself was pretty fun, considering they realized everyone would be comparing it to the original riffing. They mostly avoided making "oh man, remember THIS?" jokes, which was wise. Several riffs/running bits had me laughing pretty hard, but it's all a blur right now.

They said they'll be doing another in October: Birdemic! I'd really love to see that one live, but I'm torn on whether I should see their recorded riffing first or not. Part of me thinks that this experience, fun as it was, would be even better if I didn't already know the movie fairly well. However, as Birdemic is another that a lot of their fanbase has already seen, I'm wondering if it's going to be better with a little prior knowledge.

All told, I would love to do this again with a film I haven't already seen in some form, but even considering that this was a really, really fun time.

• 2 months later...

Oh god. The Guy From Harlem is fucking wonderful. One of the absolute worst movies in history.

"You wanna know about Big Daddy? Well, I can only tell you very little 'cause nobody ever seen him... All I can tell you is he's about 6 foot 2, he's got blond curly hair, and he's got muscles on his muscles. But that's all I can say 'cause nobody's ever seen him!"

This Rifftrax should be mandatory viewing.

It sounds amazing. I think they also recently did an El Santo movie that I want to see.

They haven't done a Santo movie, as far as I know, but they did do Neutron The Atomic Superman. I think that's what it's called. It's an incredibly low-level lucha movie, and while it has its moments, it falls into the same category as a lot of the black and white stuff MST3K did, in that the film is often just too plain boring to be funny, despite their best efforts.

That's Josh, myself and Maxx said he liked the idea too! If more people express an interest.

Let us discover when a good day for this will be and put down a list of possible episodes to watch. Perhaps one of the EWB Top 25 from this very thread?

I will generously donate my synchtube channel!

I've got my own one but this would work too as I've never used it. :shifty:

I think Josh as a good shout, a non wrestling PPV Sunday.

I know I just said we could pick episodes later, but if we're looking to nominate stuff I've got some in mind.

If we want to go with an episode that hasn't been seen by as many people, I'd go with San Francisco International or Danger! Death Ray.

Of course, people may want to go with an traditional favorite, in which case Space Mutiny, Werewolf, and Zombie Nightmare all come to mind.

I've found in my TGIF-ing that voting is totally unnessecary. If people are into it, they're going to show up and have no problem watching whatever you show. Then they'll make requests once it's over and your planned 2 hour session will balloon into 6 hours of fun madness.

Voting doesn't do much of anything for the PPV board watches, just pick something.