The MST3K Thread

Josh

If that's the case, do we want to start with an old favorite or a lesser-known pick? I'm personally assuming we'd want to start with an old favorite - in which case, Hobomabo's suggestion of picking something from our own Top 25 list is probably a good idea.

Below is the top 25 (I hope I counted it out right since there were a lot of ties and I'm not wearing my glasses). In spoilers are the rest.

Eegah!

The Deadly Mantis

Attack of the Eye Creatures

Gorgo

Soultaker

Zombie Nightmare

Earth vs. The Spider

Code Name: Diamond Head

The Dead Talk Back

Wild Rebels

The Undead

The Incredibly Strange Creature Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies

Devil Doll

Red Zone Cuba

The Brain That Wouldn't Die

The Screaming Skull

Sampson vs. The Vampire Women

Hercules Unchained

Warrior of the Lost World

Horror of Party Beach

Squirm

The Beast of Yucca Flats

Mighty Jack

Gamera

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians

Godzilla vs. Megalon

Invasion U.S.A.

I Was a Teenage Werewolf

Quest of the Delta Knights

Attack of the Killer Shrews

Future War

Danger! Death Ray

Jack Frost

Horrors of Spider Island

Santa Claus

Fugitive Alien

The Wild Wild World of Batwoman

Riding With Death

Danger: Diabolik

Parts: The Clonus Horror

Hercules vs. The Moon Men

The Final Sacrifice

Werewolf

Hobgoblins

Mitchell

Pod People

Pumaman

Prince of Space

This Island Earth

Overdrawn at the Memory Bank

Space Mutiny

Manos

I'd go with Jack Frost, Danger! Death Ray, Overdrawn at The Memory Bank and Pod People.

Perhaps not as a starter but in the future I would suggest a theme night of Russo-Finnish MST3ks. The Day the Earth Froze, The Sword and the Dragon and Jack Frost are all marvelously insane films.

Ma Ma Ma Ma Mitchell.

Would also support the Final Sacrifice and Batwoman. Haven't seen Parts: The Clonus Horror but I want to. Oh, and Pumaman! But I've watched Pumaman a bunch recently.

Mitchell and Final Sacrifice are both good candidates for the first one we do. Parts: The Clonus Horror and possibly Batwoman would be good lesser-known picks for later during the viewing. I think there was some Batwoman backlash in this thread though.

I'd go with Jack Frost, Danger! Death Ray, Overdrawn at The Memory Bank and Pod People.

Perhaps not as a starter but in the future I would suggest a theme night of Russo-Finnish MST3ks. The Day the Earth Froze, The Sword and the Dragon and Jack Frost are all marvelously insane films.

Overdrawn would be another good first pick candidate. Danger! Death Ray would fall in the lesser-known picks category.

And yeah, later on down the line I would totally support doing all 3 Russo-Finnish films. When watched chronologically, they actually get more and more insane.

I'll throw my hat in for a Coleman Francis marathon.

I would TOTALLY be behind this, but I'll bet I'm in the minority.

You could easily do a Russo-Finnish marathon, Sandy Frank marathon, Coleman Francis marathon and an Ed Wood marathon.

Would the best stragegy be pick a Final Sacrifice or Space Mutiny or one of the good introductory episodes because we could draw in non-MST3k fans with easier to watch episodes? I'd wager most MSTies could hack *most* episodes. (Batwomen and Racket Girls for me are two episodes I still can't sit through) :P

Sandy Frank marathon

I'd dig the others you mentioned, but I find Sandy Frank's stuff to be just plain hard to watch, with the possible exception of Fugitive Alien (not even Star Force) and maybe Time of the Apes.

Would the best stragegy be pick a Final Sacrifice or Space Mutiny or one of the good introductory episodes because we could draw in non-MST3k fans with easier to watch episodes?

That's probably not a bad idea.

Yeah, I wonder if even an Ed Wood marathon would be a controversial pick. I'd dig it, but I can't speak for all.

I feel like most people really would dig the Russo-Finnish trilogy at some point though, just because it's so goddamn wacky.

You're missing out, as much as I adore Bill Corbett. Those last three (?) seasons, as much as having some of my favorite episodes, (Pumaman, Santa Claus, Jack Frost, The Deadly Mantis, Agent from H.A.R.M) they haven't got TV's Frank or Dr. Forrester and they were far better than Pearl/Bob/Observer.