House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

Going to be making a bold prediction:

Spoiler

Next week as Meera and Bran are being chased by the Wights, they will be saved, by none other than Benjen Stark. Will he be in human form? I am not sure. There is a character who helps bran get to the tree who was an Other named Coldhands, which many of theorized to be Benjen Stark.

That ending hit me square in the feels.

It was kind of a rough episode beyond that, far too much Bran. I echo that he's getting rescued by Benjen very soon. Bran doesn't have his power under control yet, hence what happened to Hodor, and it'll be interesting to see how he gets it under control before his return to ToJ.

Should have seen Sansa refuse help from Littlefinger and his powers of being wherever the narrative needs him at just the right time. Very worried about a shaky alliance to bring down the Boltons, too many moving parts.

Everyone is so bummed out by the ending that no one has mentioned the

Spoiler

Richard E. Grant and Kevin Eldon

cameos

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Everyone is so bummed out by the ending that no one has mentioned the

Hide contents

Richard E. Grant and Kevin Eldon

cameos

Fuck me. I thought that was him but didn't realise.

7 hours ago, damshow said:

Hide contents

That ending hit me square in the feels.

It was kind of a rough episode beyond that, far too much Bran. I echo that he's getting rescued by Benjen very soon. Bran doesn't have his power under control yet, hence what happened to Hodor, and it'll be interesting to see how he gets it under control before his return to ToJ.

Should have seen Sansa refuse help from Littlefinger and his powers of being wherever the narrative needs him at just the right time. Very worried about a shaky alliance to bring down the Boltons, too many moving parts.

You know for certain that Littlefinger isn't helping out of the kindness of his heart or for any loyalty or love towards the Stark family. He's helping because he wants more power, and probably wants to marry off Sansa to Robin Arryn to get a future claim on the North through the offspring it would produce.

Also, how fucking ridiculous is them referencing the Blackfish and co. taking back Riverrun nearly three entire seasons after the last episode took place in that location? With nary but a reference edgewise about the entire Riverlands/Blackfish storyline in all those episodes. And suddenly we get dumped the fact that Riverrun has been retaken, which by all accounts is a huge fucking deal for everyone in the five kingdoms, and would really be mentioned since they're right next to Lannister lands in a massively important strategical position...

Also, how is the Riverlands or even the Vale going to get to the north, when they are required to march their armies across the twins, which is still safely held by Lannister loyalist and general scumbag, Walder Frey (who also hasn't been mentioned in three seasons beyond Arya lists)

Also I felt that the entire Kingsmoot stuff was horribly paced. Between Balon getting killed, Theon returning and supporting Yara, and then Euron getting his speech and subsequent crowning moment before setting off to kill his family, that's barely half an hour of screen time for all involved...

Also I assume Yara/Theon and allies are sailing off to Jon to find a safe haven in the North? Or are they going to find their own island with blackjack and salt-wives?

I might sound overly critical right now, but I really loved the episode still, a lot of shit happened and that ending was absolutely gutting in every way.

39 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

Hide contents

You know for certain that Littlefinger isn't helping out of the kindness of his heart or for any loyalty or love towards the Stark family. He's helping because he wants more power, and probably wants to marry off Sansa to Robin Arryn to get a future claim on the North through the offspring it would produce.

Also, how fucking ridiculous is them referencing the Blackfish and co. taking back Riverrun nearly three entire seasons after the last episode took place in that location? With nary but a reference edgewise about the entire Riverlands/Blackfish storyline in all those episodes. And suddenly we get dumped the fact that Riverrun has been retaken, which by all accounts is a huge fucking deal for everyone in the five kingdoms, and would really be mentioned since they're right next to Lannister lands in a massively important strategical position...

Also, how is the Riverlands or even the Vale going to get to the north, when they are required to march their armies across the twins, which is still safely held by Lannister loyalist and general scumbag, Walder Frey (who also hasn't been mentioned in three seasons beyond Arya lists)

Also I felt that the entire Kingsmoot stuff was horribly paced. Between Balon getting killed, Theon returning and supporting Yara, and then Euron getting his speech and subsequent crowning moment before setting off to kill his family, that's barely half an hour of screen time for all involved...

Also I assume Yara/Theon and allies are sailing off to Jon to find a safe haven in the North? Or are they going to find their own island with blackjack and salt-wives?

I might sound overly critical right now, but I really loved the episode still, a lot of shit happened and that ending was absolutely gutting in every way.

Spoiler

On Riverrun being retaken, the only source of information on that is Littlefinger, who isn't exactly known for his trustworthiness.

And if he has taken it back, what do the Lannisters care? The War of the Five Kings is over. The squabbles between Frey and Tully are of minor concern to them in comparison to the High Sparrow.

The North is loyal under Bolton. The Westerlands are Lannister controlled. The Stormlands is Tommen's through inheritance from Stannis. The Reach is loyal under Tyrell. The Vale is neutral under Arryn. The Iron Islands are small and irrelevant. That leaves the Riverlands, which are weak and war ravaged at best and Dorne, who have never had anywhere near the strength of the Iron Throne.

Spoiler

I'm holding on hope Hodor survives. I wanted more WAR BRAN/HODOR at some point, and I honestly don't see how Bran survives without help from him.

Summer :(

Overall thoughts: 

I thought most of the episode was brilliant. The part with Dany was pretty meh, but everything else was completely solid. I loved the part with the play, just knowing exactly what they were doing to Arya. And anybody that can spook Varys is a winner in my book. 

Also, GG Bran. You created a time paradox and fried the brain of a stable boy at the same time nope.gif

In any case, here's a little though I have towards the eventual end of the season regarding The North:

Brienne eventually makes it to Riverrun, and convinces the Blackfish to head North to take care of Ramsay. Okay, great, but there's the minor problem of The Crossing standing between them and it. So, with this obstacle, Baelish decides to play the one card he has left -- the Valemen, and attack the Crossing from the north, while the Tully forces attack from the south. Brienne goes in and kills Walder Frey in retaliation for Catelyn. The North gets one kick-ass general and much needed reinforcements for attacking Winterfell, Robb is avenged, and not only does Baelish show the Sansa he's sorry by basically selling out the Iron Throne, but also wins the support of the Rivermen (remember, he's legally their ruler :shifty: ) . 

Book it now! Still, just a theory, but I think it's plausible. 

The main problem with your theory is that

Spoiler

The Vale is south of The Twins. The only thing north of them is The North.

• Like 1

Okay, I think I'm fine now. Thoughts on the episode:

Spoiler

Sansa is somehow going to fuck it all up in the end, isn't she? She still has reservations towards Jon Snow. She is going to do something stupid that is going to put their plans in jeopardy, won't she?

Is Littlefinger genuinely sorry and did he honestly misjudged Ramsay? I felt like I saw some kind of emotion on his face that I haven't seen on him before when Sansa confronted him.

And I'm not sure whether Arya is going to follow orders and kill the old actress or if she will defy Jaqen H'ghar and the faceless again. If she decides to revolt against the faceless then I hope she has a good escape plan.

I'm not sure what to feel about Balon. He has been hyped up a lot by book readers so I expected him to be special in some way. But to be honest he isn't all that different from any of the other Ironborn we have seen so far. And his speech wasn't that good. I also think he is an idiot if he thinks that Daenerys will fall for someone like him. Is there more to him?

And last but not least I can't shake the feeling that Bran will use his new power to influence people in the past to do good with the best of intentions but that somehow he will end up making things worse.

So in short I don't trust any of the "pure-blooded" Starks to make the right decisions.

Edited by Hellraiser

19 minutes ago, Hellraiser said:
Spoiler

Is Littlefinger genuinely sorry and did he honestly misjudged Ramsay? I felt like I saw some kind of emotion on his face that I haven't seen on him before when Sansa confronted him.

Spoiler

I think Littlefinger knew Ramsay wasn't a good person, but didn't know quite how bad. Remember that he isn't as merciless to Sansa because of his feelings for Caetlyn, so he almost certainly wouldn't sell her down the river like that. He probably saw a chance to both help himself and keep Sansa somewhat safe from the Lannisters, but underestimated how big of a bastard Ramsay was.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gazz said:

The main problem with your theory is that

Hide contents

The Vale is south of The Twins. The only thing north of them is The North.

But Moat Cailin isn't, where the army is :D

21 minutes ago, Hellraiser said:

Reveal hidden contents

Well, Sansa's a Stark, so...yes, she is going to fuck it up :shifty: 

23 minutes ago, Hellraiser said:

Reveal hidden contents

Well, she's a Stark, so yes, she's going to fuck it up :shifty: 

I forgot abou two scenes:

Spoiler

So that close-up of Daenerys holding Missandei's hand when the "Sons Of The Harpy" attacked them in the fighting pits was a red herring that doesn't mean anything? None of them were infected with Grey Scale by touching Jorah? And am I the only one who even remembers that moment?

I wonder how Daenerys is going to react when she returns to Meereen. I'm sure she won't be happy about either the deal with the masters nor the involvement of the Priestess and Priests. Of course she won't realize that Tryrion and co. didn't have much of a choice to keep the city from falling into anarchy because she is the mother of dragons, liberator of slaves and blah blah blah and she doesn't make compromises. She is so terribly inept as a ruler when she isn't conquering cities. She has no idea what to do when she has no idea what to do when she conquered it and she doesn't listen to her advisors. But honestly I don't care about all that. They've already wasted enough time in Meereen. Just get her out of there and on a ship to Westeros and be done with it. 

The scene with Tyrion, The Priestess and Varys was great. I still don't think Varys told the truth about the Sons Of The Harpy. I don't thin they are controlled by the Masters. Why would they deny their involvement with them? There is no reason for them to do so! If they were controlling the Sons Of The Harpy they should brag about it. They are on the verge of throwing the city into complete Anarchy! Why would they even show up to the meeting if they were controlling them? Why not simply let them wreak havoc and than recapture the city when it is weakened enough?