House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

Throne succession spoilers

Spoiler

Gendry (nor any other of Robert's bastards) was never legitimised, so they wouldn't be eligible for succession.

By law, if Tommen died without an heir, his successor would have been Stannis as he was the brother of a King, except he's dead. Then it would have been Shireen, but she's dead. Then Renly, but he's dead. So then you'd have to go back to Robert's father, Steffon, except he was an only child and obviously, he's dead.

However, Steffon's mother, Rhaelle, was a Targaryen and a daughter of Aegon V (which is where Robert got his claim to the thone from), so the line would then pass through her, which would end with her great-niece, Dany.

So technically, Dany is the legitimate current heir to the Iron Throne.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Throne succession spoilers

Hide contents

Gendry (nor any other of Robert's bastards) was never legitimised, so they wouldn't be eligible for succession.

By law, if Tommen died without an heir, his successor would have been Stannis as he was the brother of a King, except he's dead. Then it would have been Shireen, but she's dead. Then Renly, but he's dead. So then you'd have to go back to Robert's father, Steffon, except he was an only child and obviously, he's dead.

However, Steffon's mother, Rhaelle, was a Targaryen and a daughter of Aegon V (which is where Robert got his claim to the thone from), so the line would then pass through her, which would end with her great-niece, Dany.

So technically, Dany is the legitimate current heir to the Iron Throne.

Ahh, I see. I half thought as much, but I forgot exactly when the Baratheon/Targaryen lineage intersected.

All I can picture now is Dany arriving in Westeros and a bunch of Maesters going "Oh shit, it's actually hers by succession" and there just being no conflict whatsoever :P

• Like 2

Succession spoilers that point to someone other than the previous spoilers :)

Spoiler

http://mashable.com/2016/05/03/game-thrones-heir/http://mashable.com/2016/05/03/game-thrones-heir/

So technically if/when Tommen dies, technically the throne falls to Cersei. Gendry is a bastard and doesn't count, the Targaryen line lost it's claim by being ousted and in the TV series there are no surviving Baratheon's but if you trace their history back it somehow comes back to Tywin Lannister. Tyrion doesn't count as he is guilty of murder and seen as a traitor so it's Cersei. That is unless what we saw was Tommen relieving Jamie of his Kingsguard duties because if he has, he has claims to land meaning it would fall directly to him.

Re: Arya

Spoiler

and her inevitable fight with The Waif: I believe she will beat her through darkness. I think the blowing out of the candle alluded to that, with Arya having become a proficient fighter even without her sight, something The Waif (as far as we known anyway) hasn't had to endure.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TMM said:

Succession spoilers that point to someone other than the previous spoilers :)

Reveal hidden contents

Sucession debate

Spoiler

That article is wrong on two counts.

1. Robert was crowned due to his Targaryen heritage through Rhaella, as per the Maesters of the Citadel, so Dany's claim would trump any Lannister claim.

2. Even if they did go that way, the crown would pass to the eldest surviving Lannister male, which would be Tywin's brother, Kevan and his heir would be Lancel, the dude with the seven pointed star carved in his forehead.

It's getting to the point now where I think I know more about Westerosi history than I do about real world history...

• Like 5

GAZZ FOR THE IRON THRONE.

Oh also, GRRM confirmed a long held belief about a character. Book and show spoiler ahoy...

Spoiler

Brienne is indeed a descendant of Ser Duncan The Tall, which may also mean she's related to The Hound/The Mountain as they are theorised to be his kids too (which I believe is also still theory at this point, though I could be wrong having never read the books).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Benji said:

GAZZ FOR THE IRON THRONE.

Oh also, GRRM confirmed a long held belief about a character. Book and show spoiler ahoy...

Hide contents

Brienne is indeed a child of Ser Duncan The Tall, which may also mean she's related to The Hound/The Mountain as they are theorised to be his kids too (which I believe is also still theory at this point, though I could be wrong having never read the books).

Spoiler

Wait, how does that work? Duncan died in 259 during the fire that consumed Summerhall, along with Egg and his son. Brienne is thought to have been born in 280, because she was 13 when Renly was 16 and Renly was born in 277. 

EDIT: Oh. Descended from Dunk. That makes more sense.

Regarding succession/book stuff:

Spoiler

Could the succession scenario described by Gazz be part of GRRM's plan for the next book? I'm thinking specifically regarding young Aegon who, if I am correct, would be next in line after Dany?

Ok. It's all too obvious The Hound is not dead and will be chosen by the Faith Militant for the trial by combat right? Like that's what they want us to assume.

Arya will do her fight in the darkness, a strength the Waif does not have. She'll sit in the darkness waiting.

I'm really curious what's gonna happen in the Riverlands now that all the moving parts for a significant book storyline are heading there. I'm really curious what's gonna happen there anyway, besides most likely a big battle in episode 8 or 9.

Sam has a sword that can defeat White Walkers now. How convenient.

Bran has an ally who can't be defeated by White Walkers now. How convenient.

Dany is gonna take an army of Dothraki over to Westeros just as it gets cold too, also an army that won't follow her once she finishes conquering.

1 minute ago, DFF said:

Regarding succession/book stuff:

Hide contents

Could the succession scenario described by Gazz be part of GRRM's plan for the next book? I'm thinking specifically regarding young Aegon who, if I am correct, would be next in line after Dany?

In terms of the books, the Martells where descended from a different a Daenerys through a marriage by Baelor, I believe. Therefore, all legit Martells would have a claim. Unfortunately, with the lack of Arriane and Quentin in the show, that ship has clearly set sail. 

As of last season, excluding book spoilers:

Tommen

Myrcella

Stannis

Shireen

Daenerys

Doran

Tristane

We know that Daenerys won't realistically be queen without a war. The next thought would probably be to elect a new king, but that's an even bigger mess, considering the candidates, going by Lord Paramounts: 

Baelish

Ramsay

Robin

Mace

Kevan

Whoever the fuck's running the Stormlands and Dorne.

The Iron Islands are right out. 

So, of those, the only three that would have a shot would be Robin, Mace or Kevan. Mace has seniority, however, he would probably be ruled out since the Tyrells never married into royalty, while the Arryns and Lannisters are descended from kings, and they'd probably go with Kevan over Robin, considering the Lannister contributions vs the Vale doing nothing. 

What really surprises me is that Jon did not, at any point, pull out the decree from Stannis where he was made legitimate. Give it a nice "Jon Snow is dead. I am Jon Stark" etc, Howland tells Jon who he really is, and blammo! Instant heir. 

12 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Just seen some pre-release photos for next week's episode and the biggest injustice of the season so far is finally corrected.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Everyone else can die several times over, but I'll be appalled if Bronn doesn't survive this whole thing.

Spoiler

Why is everyone so hyped for the blackfish? It seems like whatever website I visit where game of thrones is discussed people are insanely hyped for the blackfish whereas I couldn't even remember who he was until I looked him up. He did not leave a strong impression with me at all.

17 minutes ago, Hellraiser said:
  Hide contents

Why is everyone so hyped for the blackfish? It seems like whatever website I visit where game of thrones is discussed people are insanely hyped for the blackfish whereas I couldn't even remember who he was until I looked him up. He did not leave a strong impression with me at all.

Spoiler

I imagine you'll see just as many posts on said websites about how disappointed people were by The Blackfish soon enough.

54 minutes ago, Hellraiser said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Badass in the books. Same reason why a lot of people who read the books loved Stannis, he was a badass in the books too. Show totally butchered his character, and countless others. Would you rather see the Blackfish or Dorne?

Edited by Alex.

Stannis was a chumpstain, book or otherwise. He got his nice little Crowning Moment Of Badass in, and then coasted on that throughout the rest of the book and the show. But hey, he did a single neat thing so let's line up for a blowjob party!

Edited by Cloudy

I wonder how many episodes they can end this season where Dany drones up a football-speech? It's really getting extremely redundant to hear her have a big speech that after six seasons of twiddling her thumbs really can't come across as less soulless.

• Like 1