General Football Thread

Starvinho

Robbie Slater says Arab football is all about money

and slams Socceroos who choose to play there

378325-holman.jpg

ROBBIE Slater has let fly at Australian footballers such as Brett Holman,

claiming a move to the Middle East is a "cop-out" and all about the money.

Former Socceroo and Fox Sports commentator Slater also told Four Four Two that players who opt to

ply their trade in rich Arabian Gulf League shouldn’t be considered for Socceroos selection.

"I’ll say what the Middle East has going for it, and I’ll put it in a nutshell, it’s about the money," Slater said.

"Everyone else, agents and even the players that go there can make all these excuses they want and say

it’s great and this and that, but that’s all bull***t. I have a massive problem with players in their prime and

younger players going to the Middle East."

Melbourne Victory’s Billy Celeski last week joined fellow Aussies Brett Holman, Alex Brosque, Matthew

Spiranovic and Mark Bresciano in the Middle East. Slater said he had no problem with Celeski and

Bresciano’s moves as the former isn’t in Socceroos contention and the latter’s ageing body probably isn’t

up to the rigours of European top-flight football.

But Slater, who represented the Socceroos 44 times in his career, delivered a blunt assessment of the

other three, Brett Holman in particular. One of Holger Osieck’s key attacking weapons, Holman signed for

Dubai-based side Al Nasr after enduring a difficult first season with Barclays Premier League side Aston Villa.

"He gave up – Brett Holman gave up," Slater said."Don’t get me wrong I’m a big fan of Brett Holman and

always have been. But I think he gave up. For me Brett Holman’s copped out. He had a good time in

Holland, one year that was a bit hard in England and he’s left – taken the money in the Middle East – and

I don’t rate it."

Also in Slater’s sights were Brosque and Sprianovic, former Socceroos who have fallen out of favour with

Osieck.

“I don’t begrudge anyone a payday. But when you’re playing for the national team and preparing for a

World Cup, I don’t think it’s the right move,” Slater said. "And you know what? When you get to the end of

your career, you look back and see if you were a success or not – not how much money you’ve got. That’s

my opinion and I think most people would probably back what I’m saying. I think for a younger player it’s a

poor choice."

Okay, seriously WTF going on at Anzhi..

Hiddink hires Meulensteen at his assistant.

A few weeks later, Hiddink quits, Meulensteen replaces him.

2 weeks later, Meulensteen quits as well.

Okay, seriously WTF going on at Anzhi..

Hiddink hires Meulensteen at his assistant.

A few weeks later, Hiddink quits, Meulensteen replaces him.

2 weeks later, Meulensteen quits as well.

Right now the problem seems to be that over the weekend the owner lost a huge chunk of his future earnings because of a dramatic fall in the price of pesticide/manure that his other company sells. He may well have been looking to scale back beforehand but right now he NEEDS to cut back.

Couple that with the signing of Denisov completely ruining the squad harmony (he might leave in the same transfer window that he was signed!) and pretty much every sports paper in Russia saying that Eto'o, Diarra and Willian have been transfer listed and you get a club that looks to have been thrown under a bus by their owner and everyone is trying to get out while they can.

http://blog.paddypower.com/2013/08/13/paddy-power-turns-farnborough-fc-into-the-greatest-team-of-all-time/

Apparently non-league Farnbourough were facing liquidation with debts of £2m. In steps Paddy Power with an offer to clear their debts, with one condition...

The players of the Skrill Conference South side have changed their names by deed poll to those of the greatest footballers to have graced a football pitch. From Gordon Banks in goal to Zinedine Zidane, Pele, Lionel Messi and Diego Maradona outfield. Of course John Terry is in on the action just in case they win something. Even team manager Spencer Day is getting in on the fun and will now stalk the sidelines under his new moniker, José Mourinho.

• Admin

http://blog.paddypower.com/2013/08/13/paddy-power-turns-farnborough-fc-into-the-greatest-team-of-all-time/

Apparently non-league Farnbourough were facing liquidation with debts of £2m. In steps Paddy Power with an offer to clear their debts, with one condition...

The players of the Skrill Conference South side have changed their names by deed poll to those of the greatest footballers to have graced a football pitch. From Gordon Banks in goal to Zinedine Zidane, Pele, Lionel Messi and Diego Maradona outfield. Of course John Terry is in on the action just in case they win something. Even team manager Spencer Day is getting in on the fun and will now stalk the sidelines under his new moniker, José Mourinho.

Farnborough will not be allowed to kick-off the new season tomorrow.

The club came out of Administration on Monday under new ownership, but a Conference spokesman said they have failed to meet the required criteria by their own extended deadline.
Their opening two games, tomorrow and Monday, have been postponed, and the Football Conference will review the situation next week.
  • Like 1

• Admin
Hope Powell is sacked as England women's football manager, the Football Association announce.
The 46-year-old has been in charge of the national team since 1998 but leaves after a disappointing performance at Euro 2013 in Sweden.
England failed to advance past the group stage and Powell said afterwards that the domestic game needed more investment if the national team was to compete with other leading nations.