General Football Thread

Starvinho

2 minutes ago, GoN_ said:

They were flying to Colombia to play the first leg of the South America Cup Finals. They were a small team that got recently promoted (2 or 3 years ago) to the Brazilian First Division. It is just awful.

What I gather from the news and radio is that they were like the Brazilian Leicester, everyone in the country liked them. I dunno how true that is but it makes it all the more tragic. 

Yes, everything I read from Brazilian guys is that people really liked them, because they grew in incredible fashion, and still, they treated their opponents very respectfully every in their town (again, a really small town). Add to that the fact that for such a small team, they had already got to the South American Cup quarter finals last year (lost to River Plate) and the finals this year (beating Independiente and San Lorenzo). 

4 minutes ago, Lineker said:

CNN are reporting that the aircraft may have run out of fuel.

What I read was that the pilots reported an electrical issue and requested an emergency landing. They ran out of fuel on purpose, to avoid the aircraft to explode (which is basically the reason why there are survivors).

3 minutes ago, GoN_ said:

Yes, everything I read from Brazilian guys is that people really liked them, because they grew in incredible fashion, and still, they treated their opponents very respectfully every in their town (again, a really small town). Add to that the fact that for such a small team, they had already got to the South American Cup quarter finals last year (lost to River Plate) and the finals this year (beating Independiente and San Lorenzo). 

Its horrible enough but that just makes it worse. 

Marcelo Boeck, a Sporting Lisbon goalkeeper out on loan on Chapecoense didn't travel with the team because he wouldn't start for the team and had his birthday was yesterday (reports say that he requested to stay for the birthday with his family). So he basically was saved due to having his birthday on that exact day and being a replacement on the team... 

2 minutes ago, GoN_ said:

Marcelo Boeck, a Sporting Lisbon goalkeeper out on loan on Chapecoense didn't travel with the team because he wouldn't start for the team and had his birthday was yesterday (reports say that he requested to stay for the birthday with his family). So he basically was saved due to having his birthday on that exact day and being a replacement on the team... 

He is going to have some severe survivor guilt. Poor bloke. 

Such a sad situation for a team that from all accounts has been a real feel good story in Brazil and now there's a team that has virtually been destroyed by a tragedy, families have been torn apart and people have lost friends. 

The survivors and the team mates who didn't fly are going to be going through some horrible things as well. 

It's just incredibly sad :(

A group of teams from Brazil's First Division (so far I've read  Sao Paulo, Corinthians, Santos and Palmeiras as being the subscribers) have agreed to:

1) loan players to Chapecoense for the next season, for free

2) request that for the next 3 years the FA protects Chapecoense from being relegated to give them time to rebuild. That would mean that if they finished in the bottom 4, it would be the 5th from the bottom that would be relegated.

Edited by GoN_
  • Like 10

6 minutes ago, TCO said:

This is really terrible and the first thing that's happened in our generation. A whole club and 70+ lives wiped out in an instant.

Life sucks sometimes :(

Didn't the Togo national team bus get shot up by terrorists? Not that I am trying to play Top Trumps of Tragedy.

Just now, MDK said:

Didn't the Togo national team bus get shot up by terrorists? Not that I am trying to play Top Trumps of Tragedy.

I meant specifically an event that wipes out a team. I believe there was only a single fatality in that attack and it was the bus driver. 

That was naturally awful too.

2 minutes ago, TCO said:

I meant specifically an event that wipes out a team. I believe there was only a single fatality in that attack and it was the bus driver. 

That was naturally awful too.

You are probably right. I don't fancy doing research to prove you wrong because this is sad enough. I know tragedies happen all the time but if the entire Orient team got wiped out in a blink of an eye I don't know how I'd take it.