Gigs gigs gigs

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Jack White at Alexandra Palace had the novelty of being in walking distance of my house. It also had the downside of being at Alexandra Palace, which really isn't a venue I like. In fact unless I can get a good seat or arrive early enough after work to be front row for a band I really like, I've just been sticking to smaller gigs. Which has consisted of:

Novella at Scala, supporting Toy. Who were both very good - I'm coming around on Toy after being somewhat unmoved by it all the first few times I saw them.

8470665338_5ec049f98f_n.jpg

Heavy Bunny - featuring Rhys Webb of the Horrors on vocals and bass - as a one-off New Year's gig:

8342620761_f04bbc412e_n.jpg

My friend recently recorded and released his own independent solo album as The Haunted Isles, which has led to a few shows and various recommendations to people:

8287159548_4c24ab7733_n.jpg

And more Novella, my favourite new band (well, over the last couple of years) playing in my nearest record shop. That was better than Alexandra Palace:

8279196486_389ca2dec0_n.jpg

So there, have some pictures you didn't ask to see and hearty recommendations all round for the above bands.

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked tickets to go and see Adam Ant. Far too expensive, but it'll be fun, and I doubt it's an opportunity I'll get again, so figured I may as well go for it.

I am terrible at money management this year.

I find the young-dickhead crowd means I tend to have to be at gigs early and be front row (a bit off centre too), or I arrive late and sit or stand towards the back and have a drink. Depends on how much I like the band, but either way it means I can largely remove myself from the annoyance of everyone else.

There have been a few times lately, while stood in the midst of a crush of young people waiting for a band to come on stage, that I somewhat immaturely question whether I can really like a band that the moron next to me seems to enjoy so much.

I think it's just getting old.

I'm really, really in two minds about whether I'm going to ATP in June.

On the plus side, it falls on my birthday weekend, but on the minus side, it falls the weekend after I go see Jushin Liger in London, meaning that I'm going to be dirt poor by the time it comes around, and I'm either going to end up flying to and from the UK twice in a week, or having to stay there longer and sort out accomodation and far more luggage than I'm used to travelling with. I'm going to be massively low on money, regardless.

I'd pretty much agreed with my girlfriend that we'd keep the option open depending on who gets announced - already on the line-up that I'd want to see were;

Deerhunter (who I've already seen), The Breeders, Tom Tom Club, Oneida (already seen), Panda Bear, Kim Gordon with Ikue Mori & Bill Nace, surviving members of Broadcast, Avey Tare, Pere Ubu, No Age, Black Lips, and various members of Stereolab.

So...it was a nice line-up, right up my street, and with potential to keep getting better for me, but with no must-see bands. The main decision we came to was "if Boredoms get announced, we're going. Otherwise, keep an eye on new bands announced and decide as we go along".

They just announced Steve Reich with the London Sinfonietta, Robyn Hitchcock and Black Dice. I would love to see Steve Reich, and I've seen Robyn Hitchcock before (performing "I Often Dream Of Trains") and he was incredible. Black Dice would be fun.

Still nothing that's a definite selling point, but it's all adding up. Hmmm. We'll see.

Pretty excited about a few shows coming up around here.

April 4th- Joey Bada$$ & Pro Era with Flatbush Zombies and The Underachievers

May 10th- Danny Brown

May 17th- Juicy J & A$AP Ferg

August 11th- Justin Timberlake and Jay-Z at Fenway

Also Ghostface is coming around the night after Danny Brown, thinking about going to that. I've seen him with the Wu enough times that I wouldn't be upset if I missed it though.

Guys I need your help.... I have double booked concerts, and may need to offload one of them. I have to choose out of The Gaslight Anthem or Tenacious D.

Tenacious D are playing at the Sydney Opera House, but I have seen them opening for the Foo Fighters, Gaslight Anthem I have only seen briefly at a festival.

HELP!!!

Despite being full of lads and geezers, my girlfriend and I both loved Courteeners. Hadn't been to Brixton since I was about fourteen, so it was cool to go down in the standing area for the first time. They're definitely a band that sounds so much better live than on record. All their new stuff sounded fantastic live, whereas it's slightly flat on record.

So, settled on not doing ATP in June. It'd be too much hassle to incorporate into the existing London trip. Luckily, it turns out The Breeders are playing London that week anyway. Result!