General Movie Thread

Jimmy

Just finished it, the action is awesome. I've always been interested in how tanks were used during the war, they pack so much power and killing ability but at the same time they're slow, hard to move around and easy to be detected, it seems. Ayer did a fucking awesome job with the tactical aspect of the battles, and made the action feel even more real and right in front of you. I'm actually kind of excited for what he brings for Suicide Squad now. The action is definitely the best part about it.

But yeah, every character has been done before, almost the entire story can be predicted with just watching the opening twenty minutes. My girlfriend turned to me around the 20 minute mark and said "I bet the young guy falls in love with a girl or feels sorry for a kid or something, and that causes conflict in his group." I kind of like the characters, but I really felt like Brad Pitt was wrong for the role. Thought he should have gotten the LeBoeuf part; wise, Christian and still kind of a bad ass is something I think he could have done very well, but a few of his shouting scenes felt a little forced.

Again, fucking awesome action, though.

The plot of the new Terminator is so stupid.

http://io9.com/terminator-genisys-insane-plot-reveal-is-a-total-nightm-1652315938

Sarah Connor isn't the innocent she was when Linda Hamilton first sported feathered hair and acid-washed jeans in the role. Nor is she Hamilton's steely zero body-fat warrior in 1991's T2. Rather, the mother of humanity's messiah was orphaned by a Terminator at age 9. Since then, she's been raised by (brace yourself) Schwarzenegger's Terminator—an older T-800 she calls "Pops"—who is programmed to guard rather than to kill. As a result, Sarah is a highly trained antisocial recluse who's great with a sniper rifle but not so skilled at the nuances of human emotion.

tough_enough.gif

• Like 2

Meh. The title is a lot more stupid than that description (unless it's set in the 90s then it makes complete sense as to why it's so terrible). And having recently been burned by a few interesting-sounding loglines only to end up with a pile of shit, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt until I at least see some footage. There's too much talent involved that I can't write it off yet.

Edited by livid

The plot of the new Terminator is so stupid.

http://io9.com/terminator-genisys-insane-plot-reveal-is-a-total-nightm-1652315938

Sarah Connor isn't the innocent she was when Linda Hamilton first sported feathered hair and acid-washed jeans in the role. Nor is she Hamilton's steely zero body-fat warrior in 1991's T2. Rather, the mother of humanity's messiah was orphaned by a Terminator at age 9. Since then, she's been raised by (brace yourself) Schwarzenegger's Terminator—an older T-800 she calls "Pops"—who is programmed to guard rather than to kill. As a result, Sarah is a highly trained antisocial recluse who's great with a sniper rifle but not so skilled at the nuances of human emotion.

tough_enough.gif

I don't like the sound of it.

....but I'm still going to see it <_<

Really? I'm curious who it is that's got you excited, I think personally that everything I've heard disinterests me.

Emilia Clarke has been consistently the weakest actor on Game of Thrones over the age of 18, Matt Smith has never impressed me, nor has Jai Courtney. And honestly, after Thor: The Dark World, I'm just not sure I have faith in Alan Taylor as a big screen director.

You generally know more than me on a lot of these things, though, so I'm curious as to what's got you interested. Mostly because nothing I've heard gives me any hope. (outside of Jason Clarke as John Connor being a pretty cool idea)

• Like 1

Jason Clarke for one. He's great and it's nice to see him landing big roles like this. JK Simmons is in it too and he can't do anything wrong in my eyes. If this were happening a couple of years ago I'd agree with you on Emilia Clarke but I think she's grown a lot in the past couple of years as an actress (at least in GoT) so I'm interested to see where she goes with it. We definitely agree on Jai Courtney though. I don't see how he ended up with the role at all.

We have differing opinions on Thor: The Dark World but I wouldn't necessarily pin the issues with that film on Taylor anyways. Marvel is doing great things but let's not kid ourselves into think they're not micro-managing the shit out of their movies. It's a great thing in theory and them having more hits than misses definitely eases the issues people have with it but there's a reason why they're hiring TV directors (beyond them being fairly cheap to hire) and why Edgar Wright left Ant-Man: they're not given a great deal of freedom to make it their own. So I don't really think Thor: The Dark World is an indication either way whether Taylor can handle directing big-budget films.

All of that said, it's completely possible you are right but I've never been a fan of judging stuff before seeing the final product anyways. And like I said, I've been burned by interesting-sounding loglines lately that came up short so I'm not going to get twisted over a few sentences when it's entirely possible it doesn't accurately reflect what the movie will be like.

Oh and Megan Ellison is producing it and she hasn't really had a major stinker yet so her involvement also increases my optimism.

Edited by livid

I'm dying to see Inherent Vice. Paul Thomas Anderson's films are so frustrating in the way they're released, like I swear there'd been so many small screenings and festivals showing The Master like a full year before it actually got properly released and the same seems to be happening with Inherent Vice. COME OUT ALREADY DAMN IT.

I'm dying to see Inherent Vice. Paul Thomas Anderson's films are so frustrating in the way they're released, like I swear there'd been so many small screenings and festivals showing The Master like a full year before it actually got properly released and the same seems to be happening with Inherent Vice. COME OUT ALREADY DAMN IT.

Yes. That is the life of a film.

Well, I'm not talking so much about the festivals, I get that, I'm just lumping it all in to my general impatience. But with the screenings, particularly with The Master, there just seemed to be tons of random "surprise" screenings of it, I know that it's not uncommon to have those but just how many there seemed to be seemed uncommon. Might have been down to the format and the way it was filmed and PTA wanting to show it in it's intended way, might have been down to me paying particular attention to the film and getting impatient.

So i seen John Wick this past weekend, it was fantastic as far as a none stop action moves go.

So im wondering since there are 4 movies in theaters right now i want to see (Fury, Gone Girl, Night Crawler, and The Judge. also maybe the Maze Runner) So knowing that would any of you guys recommend any one of these movies or say stay the hell away from any of them?

They've all gotten pretty good reviews, I've only watched Fury and it was great, really fun WWII movie. Gone Girl and Night Crawler have gotten rave reviews, and the Judge seems to be a favourite as well. I'd probably recommend Night Crawler or Gone Girl over any of the others, but again, I've only watched Fury and I really liked it.

• Like 1