General Movie Thread

Jimmy

Sam Shepard passed. He was maybe best known to movie buffs as Chuck Yeager in The Right Stuff. He was a pretty prolific playwright too and I believe a number of his plays were adapted into movies. Died from Lou Gehrig's disease at his home in Kentucky.

This has been an outstanding movie year thusfar. I saw Atomic Blonde on Monday and liked it enough to have it in my top ten only to have to remove it the next day because I saw The Big Sick.

1 minute ago, GoGoya the Destroyer said:

This has been an outstanding movie year thusfar. I saw Atomic Blonde on Monday and liked it enough to have it in my top ten only to have to remove it the next day because I saw The Big Sick.

Interesting. I have heard so many mixed things about Atomic Blonde that I wasn't sure it would live up to my hype. Could honestly be applied to The Big Sick too, even. 

Atomic Blonde is what Suicide Squad wanted to be and wasn't. The plot was overcomplicated and went on too long but who the fuck is going to that movie for the plot? I'm not saying it was incredible, but it's definitely the type of movie that most years would have lingered on my top ten until the late fall when the prestige films start popping up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GoGoya the Destroyer said:

Atomic Blonde is what Suicide Squad wanted to be and wasn't. The plot was overcomplicated and went on too long but who the fuck is going to that movie for the plot? I'm not saying it was incredible, but it's definitely the type of movie that most years would have lingered on my top ten until the late fall when the prestige films start popping up.

And why are you not saying it was incredible???? :angry:

2 hours ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

And why are you not saying it was incredible???? :angry:

I already said in the post :P

Spoiler

Plus I'm still mad they did Delphine like that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joshu Picchu said:

I want to see both of those. I'm going to finally see Baby Driver this weekend instead.

That's a good choice.

Definitely a big weekend of film for me. Atomic Blonde, the Dark Tower and the Beguiled. I've heard bad things about the Dark Tower, mixed things about Atomic Blonde, and good things about the Beguiled, but I'm willing to spend money on all these films (which I still won't, I have so many points saved up from my cinema I practically watch two-thirds of the movies in the cinema for free).

1 hour ago, Jericode said:

Who's saying bad things about The Dark Tower? That's one of the few films I'm half interested in seeing at the moment.

The Guardian and its 2 star review.

21% on Rotten Tomatoes. I won't lie, the DT books are some of my favorites so I had some high hopes for this movie, but after being in development hell for so long and then the plot fuckery ("oh it's a pre.. se.. prequel! kinda!") I'm not surprised that it's getting panned. I hope that doesn't kill the TV series, though.

Dark Tower was never going to work, especially as a franchise. You're talking about a series of books that are equal in length to the ASOIAF series in terms of words and plot threads with a way more complex, intertwined narrative and only 20-30% of the time to tell the story in, and that's if they made 7 or 8 movies. It would have been much better suited to a miniseries / HBO style production.

• Like 1