TKz

General Gaming Thread

Skummy    36,510

So, because I'm a filthy casual gamer, I've been playing Rayman: Origins on the Wii. It's...underwhelming. I really expected something good from it, as I loved the original 2D Rayman, but so far the level design has been really uninspired, and while the character design and the artwork is exceptionally good, it's all so fucking small on the screen that I can't even tell what's going on half the time. Why would you go to the trouble of painstakingly drawing the graphics, and then make it so nobody could see the fucking things?

apsham    10,530

Bwah? I thought Origins was brilliant.

What size screen are you playing on?

Summers    6,304

Yeah, I've been playing Origins on the ps3 with Mrs Summ is absolutely fantastic.

Pizza    11,088

Having trouble with Steam. I don't have Internet access on my computer right now and am trying to play Civ 5. Usually this isn't a problem, Steam has offline mode, but today Steam keeps trying to update, and then shuts down when it can't complete the update. Any way around this?

DMN    3,298

So, I finally have LA Noire sitting around from GameFly, but, somehow, the HDMI port on my PS3 got totally knackered. I've found that, pretty much the only game that doesn't look like complete ass, are sports games (Skyrim looks like a PS2 game). My concern, for those that have played it, will downgraded graphics affect my ability to play LA Noire? I know they went to great lengths with the faces and such, but how much of an affect (effect? WHICH ONE, I DUNNO?) will that have on my ability to solve cases?

Bobfoc    4,260

I don't think it will have too much of an effect. While LA Noire's motion capture technology is impressive, the non-verbal "cues" that push you in the right direction during cases are far from subtle. Because the motion capture animations were pulled off by using real actors, their expressions e.g. shifty eyes, not making eye contact are exaggerated to the extent that they would be easy to pick up on without the benefit of the best possible graphical settings.

Benji    43,414

In fact, you'll probably be better off, because those cues are always so ridiculously over the top and constant that it throws you off.

• Like 1

9 to 5    12,582

Which Star Trek games are actually any good?

apsham    10,530

I don't think I've played one that was actually, legimately good. I have fond memories of one of the SNES games where you actually got to play on the ground though.

KevinStorm    593

Star Trek 25th Anniversary. I had it for NES. Haven't really seen a good Trek game since, though I remember playing one for SNES that was decent but I can't remember the name.

Ruki    3,712

Here's a random question for you fine gentlemen...if you were to lose your entire hard-drive of saved games, which would you be most upset about?

For me, it would have to be the Mass Effect series. I've put TONS of hours into both the first and second game with two separate characters...would crush me if I lost those :(

apsham    10,530

I'd have stuff like that Cloud saved - or at least a copy of that. I lost those initially and it was heartbreaking.

Now that we have cloud saves - just the download time.

apsham    10,530

Is X-men Destiny worth picking up?

Sweet jesus,,. no.

That game was such a dissapointment. Being good or bad equates to two very streamlined decisions after a lecture from a member of the X-Men and one from the Brotherhood. Character customization is also super, super streamlined. They say you can make your character whatever they want - but the three base powers and the three pre-built characters obviously have a power that applies to each of them individually.

Benji    43,414
Naughty Dog has revealed that a new Jak and Daxter game was almost made instead of The Last of Us. Following Uncharted 2, Naughty Dog split into two teams and got ready to move onto its next game. That game was originally planned to be the next Jak and Daxter, but the team ran into trouble while attempting to design the game.

"We dug around trying to find the core of Jak and Daxter," The Last of Us creative director Neil Druckmann told Game Informer. "Who are the characters? We had to reboot it essentially. Every time we got excited about an idea we'd take a step back and look at it and be like 'It's not Jak and Daxter, are we just slapping the name on it for marketing reasons?'"

"It started feeling like a compromise," Druckmann added. "The more we tried to make Jak and Daxter like we wanted to, it didn't feel like things were matching up. We have folders and folders filled with scrapped ideas."

"All the ideas just started to feel like they were going so far away from what made Jak and Daxter Jak and Daxter," added studio co-founder Evan Wells. "Even though we wanted to give fans another Jak and Daxter, we felt we weren't going to give them the game that they wanted, and that we would end up either limiting the direction that the company had this passion for while simultaneously not creating the game that fans wanted. We just realized we were going to just do everybody a disservice."

Wells says that fans shouldn't lose hope, and that a new Jak and Daxter game could still come eventually.

"Never say never," he said. "It could happen. Naughty Dog's got a long history and I think it's got a long future so to say we'll never go back is kind of crazy but right now we've got [The Last of Us] that we're definitely going to be supporting. I guess there's a possibility that the Uncharted team could move on to Jak and Daxter. It's still up in the air, but I wouldn't think that's going to happen, because I think we'd run into all of the same problems with that team that we did with this team."

I love reading this. Rather than shoving Jak and Daxter's name on a game they didn't feel felt right, they opted to make a whole new game instead. This is why Naughty Dog is one of the best developers.

BuddyAwesome    850

Trying to finish up GTA4, I noticed there is a trophy for escaping a 4star wanted level. Does it count going to Pay & Spray or do you actually have to outrun them for it?

Ruki    3,712

Outrun them.

On foot.

Spee    9

Star Trek: A Final Unity - if you're prepared to jump through a few compatibility hoops.

AnnIQ Edison    132

Is there somewhere online in Australia that posts games to you ala Quickflix (Aussie Netflix)? The two video stores near my house just merged and lost a good chunk of their gaming stock and so there isn't much of a selection.

Benji    43,414

WOOP! Bioware look like they're about to announce a new Baldur's Gate. This will probably delay Dragon Age 3, but it may well be worth it :w00t:

BuddyAwesome    850

Has anyone played DC Universe? I downloaded it, but after getting past the first area that's not online I don't even know where to start :/