European Football Thread

IAceI

BT had looked poised to freeze its bitter rivals out of showing Real Madrid and Barcelona for the next three years when Sky pulled out of the bidding process in protest at it going to a second round.
But La Liga performed a surprise u-turn and asked Sky directly whether they could re-enter the bidding process. They duly made another offer, and ensured the channel will remain the home of El Clásico, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo for the next three years.

Portugal is kind of Spain-y. That's all I've got.

Glad of this since I'm not shelling out for BT, I'm sort of amused by La Liga reaching out to Sky though. "They said Michael Owen was going to commentate, save us!"

• Like 1

Sky have a bigger audience, are still the best presenters of football around and La Liga have shifted the Saturday kick-offs specifically for the UK's absurd broadcasting rules. So I'd imagine they'd ideally like it to reach the most people in the best possible way.

They can have as much content as they want but BT is still a bit shit overall. 

Liverpool alumni Mikel San Jose that.

How the hell are Barca losing 4-0? 

'cause nobody gives a flying fuck about the Spanish super cup, even less so than the community shield, and it's Barca, they could still turn it around 5-0 at the camp nou.

Damien Duff might make his debut for Shamrock Rovers against Cork City tonight. He's been named among the substitutes.

He signed an 18 month deal with Rovers in July and all of his wages are going to be going to charity.

• Admin

The Barcelona defender Gerard Piqué faces being suspended for up to 12 weeks following an extraordinary outburst aimed at an assistant referee during the second leg of his club’s Spanish Super Cup tie against Athletic Bilbao.

Piqué was dismissed 10 minutes into the second half after he responded to a decision given against his side by angrily making his way to the side of the pitch and shouting in the face of the referee’s assistant. According to the referee, the words used were: “Me cago en tu puta madre” which translates as “I shit on your whore mother”.

However, Sergio Busquets is unsure his Barça team-mate would have used that particular wording.

The midfielder said: “According to the ref, [the red card] was because he shat on the whoring mother of the linesman. The TV might have caught it, but I’m sure Gerard wouldn’t have called her a whore or something like that.”

Barcelona, reduced to 10 men, drew 1-1 in the second leg but lost 5-1 on aggregate to last season’s seventh-placed side in La Liga.

Does it translate to whore mother? I would have translated it as I shit on your fucking mother as puta in front of a noun is used all the time to say fucking in Spanish. Still not the nicest thing in the world to say but perhaps changes the implications a little.

Whilst we're discussing Spanish if you were to describe something as being "de puta madre" you would be saying that it's great/fantastic, I used to use that a lot when hanging with my Spanish friends.

Perhaps we've misheard a preposition and he was simply meaning to say he had a great poo. <_<

Edited by Sam