Horrible Movies

Toe

When I say horrible movie, almost anything put out by the bigger studios at least look professional - well lit, decent camera work, and decent effects. These movies have none of that.

I have the opposite opinion. If something is done by a bigger studio and looks professional but is terrible in every other regard, it is a far worse movie than an indie film that doesn't have that. Because the bigger studio has the cash to make a good movie, but instead just releases a pile of shit. At the very least when a small studio releases something terrible, you can excuse it because they did the best with what they had.

My vote goes to From Justin to Kelly.

With digital technology and editing software, you can at least make your movie look good for far less then you used to when you had to shoot on film.

At lot of the big budget bombs, like Pearl Harbor or Master and Commander, are awful movies but they are watchable.

From Justin To Kelly is the perfect storm of fucking garbage. I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy.

Edited by Toe

Everybody's Fine with Robert De Niro is the one I always think of when it comes to the worst movies I've seen. It's one of the most boring movies I ever sat through and at points it felt like I was just watching a hidden film of De Niro putzing around in his free time. Just an incredibly boring movie.

I waited excitedly for six months for The Matrix Revolutions to come out, there were questions I wanted answered, mysteries, and what promised to be an insane fight towards the end, the ultimate climax.

Instead....I felt like after I saw it, I wanted to throw my drink at the screen in protest. I didn't like it at all, and I felt that after how crazy The Matrix Reloaded was, they went completely overboard with the third installment. A major letdown.

Oh, and Highlander V. That was uh....yeah. Highlander II was better :shifty: .

When I say horrible movie, almost anything put out by the bigger studios at least look professional - well lit, decent camera work, and decent effects. These movies have none of that.

I have the opposite opinion. If something is done by a bigger studio and looks professional but is terrible in every other regard, it is a far worse movie than an indie film that doesn't have that. Because the bigger studio has the cash to make a good movie, but instead just releases a pile of shit. At the very least when a small studio releases something terrible, you can excuse it because they did the best with what they had.

I agree. I think what makes a film "so bad it's good" is often low budget and seeing a studio try and make do with what they've got, and some unintentionally hilarious results. It's kind of heart-warming seeing a low budget movie, or something by an Ed Wood type, and knowing that they've done their best and really tried, just completely missed the point.

A major release blockbuster being a bad film is far less enjoyable, because it has none of that, and it's often a heartless, formulaic cash-in off an assembly line.

I'd struggle to call any low budget, niche, limited release film one of the worst ever because to be the "worst" I think you also need that failure to meet expectations that comes from a major Hollywood release being terrible.

And, yeah, I'd say Highlander: The Source might objectively be one of the worst films I've ever seen.

• Like 1

Birdemic is the worst thing ever.

Also shit: Tomb Raider, Catwoman, Teeth, Sin Eater.

Birdemic is, probably, objectively one of the worst films ever made, but it's at least a lot of fun to watch, because it somehow just keeps getting worse. And it's never dull which, to me, is the worst crime a movie can commit.

• Like 3

And it's never dull which, to me, is the worst crime a movie can commit.

I think me and Skummy are definitely on the same page about what defines a horrible movie. I think it is just about defining what is dull. Example, I know lots of people love the Nolan Batman series, but they are dull. So dull. So painful. I had no interest in watching them. I probably actually prefer Batman & Robin because at the very least everyone is having fun.

Yeah, that's not the worst thing ever in my opinion, the worst thing ever are movies that try their damnedest to be ridiculous but end up being just eye-rollingly painful.

And the Nolan Batmans were never dull. TDK is the opposite of dull, it's literally a movie where the plot is moving ALL the time.

Birdemic is, probably, objectively one of the worst films ever made, but it's at least a lot of fun to watch, because it somehow just keeps getting worse. And it's never dull which, to me, is the worst crime a movie can commit.

I've never wanted to watch that because it just looks way too bad.

Nolan's Batman films dull? Wow. Not quite sure what you expected from a Batman series.

I just prefer my comic book movies to be more colorful and fun. The Keaton Batman films were great, because I thought they did a fantastic job of mixing dark and brooding elements with really colorful and campy moments. I think Christopher Nolan movies are generally stuffy, overly dark and brooding, take themselves way too seriously and are just not a whole lot of fun. That is basically how I'd describe his approach to Batman. Just doesn't interest me and is totally dull to me.

• Like 1

The worst movie of all time? For me that has to be Battlefield Earth.

You know a movie is beyond bad when one of the preview trailers before the film was... for Battlefield Earth. That's right, a movie so bad it put a trailer for itself on the DVD.

Horrible acting, terrible writing, abysmal special effects. I recall laughing exactly twice.

Of all the terrible things John Travola foisted upon the world... this is the worst.

• Like 1

I found it incredibly dull, in part due to how shoddily made it was. It's not entertaining in even a 'so bad it is good' way - it is worse.

The Room was at least decently produced. It was just written and directed by a guy with no real grasp of English or people.

Birdemic is fun. James Nyguens other movies look equally mental. Julie and Jack is a love story set in virtual reality!

The Colman Francis movies are dull as hell. The Beast of Yukka Flats is just dull, dark and full of nothing.

Hercules in New York is fairly dull when you get the non dubbed Arnold version (which is for some reason the one that's easier to get).

I generally think films considered 'the worst' always end up having redeeming qualities. With rare exceptions. The Room, Birdemic, Plan 9, Manos - they all have things that make them great in their own way. I adore Manos - The Hands of Fate in a non ironic way. The Room fascinates me. Birdemic is not quite as fascinating but it still has something about it. I'd say the same for Fatal Deviation, Ireland's only martial arts movie.

The Dark Knight Rises is an absolute pile of tripe. I hate it. I think you can ran things like White Chicks, the -Movie franchise and a billion other lowest denominator comedies on worst lists.

• Like 1