Bands you used to follow massively and then one day just.....kinda....stopped

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

You fall in love with a band. Either at the start of their fame (or even before then), buying their debut album and then hoovering up any new releases after that.....Or finding a band a few albums in and going through all their back catalogue....catching up on lost time.

But then.....One day, you no longer care about keeping up, about buying their next release. In the same way that some people just fall out of love with a TV series, you just drop them. Perhaps you even still like the albums of theirs you have, you just have no real desire to chase them up any more.

So gather around, list some artists and how far you got with them.

Bjork - Got into her with Homogenic. Went back to Debut and Post. Followed her through Vespertine and Medulla....and then lost interest.

Feeder - Loved Polythene so much which was their album at the time. Yesterday Went Too Soon was beautiful. Went back to the Swim EP and re-release and a crafty Japanese B-sides "Another Yesterday". Got Echo Park, liked it less. Then Jon died and I haven't been interested in any of their later work.

Muse - Saw them supporting Ash. Managed to hunt down Showbiz which had only been out a few months. That got me through a lot of late night assignment writing at uni. Liked Origin of Symmetry, loved Absolution........and then stopped after that. I DID get The Resistance when I was in Japan as I had bought tickets to see them tour that album release over there, but it left me cold and everything else of theirs since has too.

There are probably loads of others but those are three I can think of.

My list is huge, I just think there's a point when you're younger that you just hoover up whatevers around at the time without much of a filter as to what you actually like. It took me until the turn of the century to realise I didn't actually like Oasis or The Verve, and if I'm going back to that time period it's Menswe@r or the Bluetones I'm going to be listening to. Fuck Shed Seven. 

• Like 1

Stratovarius: One of the major power metal bands in Europe in the mid to late 90s an early 00s. After a lot of drama they parted ways with their guitarist (who up until that point was also their main songwriter) in 2008. I supported their decision to continue on without the guy. But when they released their first album without him it left me cold. Couldn't get into it. The music wasn't bad. And the new guitaris is a very talanted guy. But it just didn't sound like Stratovarius anymore in my ears. They lost what made them stand out in the sea of Power Metal bands when the split with their old guitarist. They have released three more albums since then an I've heard that they are working on another one to be released later this year and I couldn't care less. 

Funny you post this topic because I was going to start a similar topic, but more along the lines of bands you “rediscovered”. This works though. 

The reason it was on my mind was because of Rage Against the Machine. In middle school, aged 12-15 or so, I loved Rage Against the Machine. They were the absolute coolest fucking band ever in my eyes. I loved the music, the lyrics (had no clue what it meant at the time), the albums covers, Morellos guitar work. 

Then I sorta stopped listening to them. Punk sorta took over and I started viewing RATM as a bunch of phonies, Morello as an overrated guitar player, and their music as being responsible for shitty rap rock in the late 90s.

Truth is, they’re pretty cool. Morello is a truly unique guitar player and they had a cool sound/vibe about them. It’s not their fault Limp Bizkit happened. I listened to some of their stuff on the way home today and remembered why I liked it so much as a kid. I dropped my pretentious/snobbish/elitist attitude to enjoy something that was actually pretty unique during its heyday.

The Doors were another. Loved them to pieces, sorta forgot them. Appreciate them now again. How often do you get a poet, flamenco guitar player, jazz drummer, and uh Ray Mannzarek keyboarding madness together? 

• Like 1

Linkin Park. Used to be super into them around the time they released their first two albums. Then Minutes to Midnight came out and I was super disappointed about the new musical direction of the band. Haven't seriously listened to any of the music since. I've heard a few of their songs on the radio here and there but that hasn't compelled me to check out any of there stuff post-Minutes to Midnight.

6 hours ago, Hellraiser said:

Linkin Park. Used to be super into them around the time they released their first two albums. Then Minutes to Midnight came out and I was super disappointed about the new musical direction of the band. Haven't seriously listened to any of the music since. I've heard a few of their songs on the radio here and there but that hasn't compelled me to check out any of there stuff post-Minutes to Midnight.

I was very similar to this only an album later. While Minutes to Midnight was different to their previous two album I still enjoyed it. But A Thousand Suns was just too much of a clash with my listening tastes at 16 that I didn't give it a second thought. The following two albums weren't on my radar either but Heavy brought me right back in just under a year ago.

The Feeling were one of my favourite bands back when my music tastes were still forming and going through a very strange phase at the start of high school which also included Duran Duran. I think Smackdown vs Raw 2007 is genuinely responsible for kickstarting my re-ignited interest in heavier music. For example...

Life Starts Now by Three Days Grace was the first album release I truly anticipated. It was also the last 3DG album I actually had any interest in. Transit of Venus just wasn't anything special and then the singer left. I'm now much more interested in his new band Saint Asonia than anything 3DG are doing.

Breaking Benjamin haven't been much concern since their 2010 split despite "reforming" in 2014. I guess Benjamin broke it :shifty:

My interest in Skindred waned significantly after seeing them in 2011 where the singer decided to call me out for "not enjoying the show" despite the fact that I felt like I'd had my shins crushed against the barricade and eventually decided to just climb over it and get out of the way. I might end up seeing them again in a few months but only because they're touring with CKY.

Almost everything bar a very small handful - I'll still buy anything Tom Waits, Sage Francis, Eliza Carthy or Scott Walker release, and prior to their deaths I would hoover up anything by Bowie, Prince or Leonard Cohen, but beyond that, as I've got older and circumstances have changed, I've just fallen out of the habit of following new releases and keeping track of what's going on musically, and just stick to what's on my iPod or Spotify recommendations.

• 1 month later...

I don't think I followed any "fad band" massively. The ones I am a fanatic about I slowly grew into being one. At least ten albums in. Usually more.

The ones whose debut or sophomore releases I loved were always more like "hey, this is cool, I'll keep an eye on these kids in case they keep it up". Then 15 years later once I've collected every single and studio and live CD, I kind of quietly realize that I think I kind of... love... the music these guys put out. And from there on, it will be true unconditional love till forever.

Mostly because at that point an always marginal band is not going to sell out or change their sound anymore. They understand what I understand - that THIS is the best kind of music that can ever be made.

I used to be a big fan of John Mayer when I was younger, I love bluesy stuff and he made good bluesy-pop tunes that were more than enjoyable.

I've not listened to a song of him in years, and I really don't feel like listening to his stuff either. Also doesn't help that he's an utter knob of a person who only brags about who he's slept with.