WWE 2K19

Owen

Ok, so some of those superstar models are legit great. I'm especially a fan of the new Goldust model. 

However. What on earth are these?

DA.JPGDB.JPG

I also really wish they'd stop using the same model for alternative versions. The '02 Taker looks identical to the 2018 Taker. 

Also, it's a bit shit that the Singh's are not playable characters.

"The following contest is an 8-man battle royal. Making his way to the ring!"

:facepalm:

Some pretty nice changes to Universe mode this year, as well as a cel shading match filter.

Also, I don't think it was shown in this video, but we get triple threat tornado tag matches and other 2 vs 2 vs 2 matches again!!

The Ciampa/Kendrick/Cross omissions are really just ridiculous.  It's just baffling that they'd go out of their way to get everyone from Oney Lorcan to Bianca Belair to Ariya Daivari to the Street Profits to Tony Nese into the game yet with Lio Rush who barely was on NXT and Mike Kanellis who is never used as DLC yet they'd leave out three people who are still on the roster when they had base models for them already.

The whole "they weren't on screen around cutoff" doesn't fly when The Colons and countless others were rarely ever seen.  It can't even be a space issue, either - not one single person gives a fuck that Brutus Beefcake or Greg Valentine are in the game.

I get that people are upset about Ciampa/Kendrick/Cross but there are literally going to be amazing CAWs of them within like a day of the game being realized.

It's not like Dean Ambrose, AJ Styles and Dolph Ziggler aren't in the game. 

9 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

I get that people are upset about Ciampa/Kendrick/Cross but there are literally going to be amazing CAWs of them within like a day of the game being realized.

That would've been an improvement.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

But it brings us back to the argument of "There are 100 slots for Created Wrestlers and/or Alternate Attires". Three of those slots now need to be used on people who should have been in the game to begin with.

Unless there was some kind of contract issue, there is absolutely no reason why 2K shouldn't just be keeping the previous year's roster in full. Remove anyone who you update, or who they don't have the rights for anymore, and anyone else that wasn't updated but is still contractually available should just have their previous model left in the game. It seems a bit ridiculous to remove them without adding new ones.

Everyone is just making it seem like they've just decided to do it for no other reason than to spite the fans. I bet there were a bunch of people who wanted them in but someone made a decision to keep them out. Their reason for doing so has probably more to do than intentionally pissing off fans. 

I think it's more that, whatever the reason is, it's clearly not a satisfactory one. It shouldn't be an issue to have these three in the game, especially when they were all in last year. Kendrick and Nikki aren't particularly important roster members but when they're making Maria Kanellis playable, a member of the roster who hasn't been on TV since before last year's game came out and who I don't think has had a match in WWE for nearly a decade, there really isn't an excuse.

Ciampa is an egregious omission because he is currently the NXT Champion, an important member of a roster that 2k are clearly putting a lot of effort into considering the depth of the playable roster.

3 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

Everyone is just making it seem like they've just decided to do it for no other reason than to spite the fans. I bet there were a bunch of people who wanted them in but someone made a decision to keep them out. Their reason for doing so has probably more to do than intentionally pissing off fans. 

Oh, I will absolutely concede to that fact. People are going insane with theories about how 2K hates money, which makes zero sense.

I'll say the same thing I said when the first WWE 2k game came out on the new consoles... 2K needs to be more transparent about their decision making process and why they do things. Fans are rabid, and in the internet age, these things spiral out of control quickly. What started as "These three got left off the roster, WTF?" turned into "2K is actively sabotaging their own games".

WHY did they get left off the roster? It's a very legitimate question that I've seen asked dozens of times via twitter over the past week. Why is no one from 2K coming around and talking about it? People jump to conclusions like crazy. These three aren't in the game, that's fine. There are other ways to add them in, but WHY aren't they in the game?

In fact, this goes for all publishers and developers. Transparency is key in this new marketplace, and if you have legitimate reasons to make unpopular decisions, the best thing you can do is just come out and make a statement about it. Apologize to the fans who were upset, and educate them on why the decision was made.

Having run a video game store for half of a decade, I've seen so many good-to-great games perform well below expectations simply because of one error, mistake, bad decision or glitch... simply because people love to complain, freak out and the publishers/developers refused to engage their community or even just make a quick statement about it. It's just bad business.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

Oh, I will absolutely concede to that fact. People are going insane with theories about how 2K hates money, which makes zero sense.

I'll say the same thing I said when the first WWE 2k game came out on the new consoles... 2K needs to be more transparent about their decision making process and why they do things. Fans are rabid, and in the internet age, these things spiral out of control quickly. What started as "These three got left off the roster, WTF?" turned into "2K is actively sabotaging their own games".

WHY did they get left off the roster? It's a very legitimate question that I've seen asked dozens of times via twitter over the past week. Why is no one from 2K coming around and talking about it? People jump to conclusions like crazy. These three aren't in the game, that's fine. There are other ways to add them in, but WHY aren't they in the game?

In fact, this goes for all publishers and developers. Transparency is key in this new marketplace, and if you have legitimate reasons to make unpopular decisions, the best thing you can do is just come out and make a statement about it. Apologize to the fans who were upset, and educate them on why the decision was made.

Having run a video game store for half of a decade, I've seen so many good-to-great games perform well below expectations simply because of one error, mistake, bad decision or glitch... simply because people love to complain, freak out and the publishers/developers refused to engage their community or even just make a quick statement about it. It's just bad business.

Yeah, and that's fair too. For me, I don't think it's as big of a deal as most people think it is. But I've been on the verge of not buying for years and I could see how this could the straw that breaks the camel's back in terms of not buying.

Wrestling fans absolutely seem like the type of people who complain but will still buy the game. Just like how they complain about the product but they watch each week and complain. I would assume they think they can get away with this because enough people will buy it and they'll make a bunch of money. It'd be nice to be wrong one year and people actually boycott it so there's some incentive to improve but I don't think that will be the case. 

It'll never be the case because they're in a comfy place.

I think it's obvious that gameplay could really, really use a freshening up - but there's no incentive for them to do that. It was said in here before but that would cost a ton of money compared to how they make the games now, and it's not like there's another WWE game out there. There's barely another wrestling game out there, Fire Pro is amazing and I'll sing its praises all day - but they're two completely different experiences.

Every year we sit through a game that is broken on launch, patches that introduce new bugs, and support that lasts until the literal second that the last DLC drops - and then it's a ghost town. I honestly don't know what kind of business practice or goof it would take for them to stop doing the games like this every year.

• Like 1

To be fair, I opened up the game recently when I was running King of Trios. There are so many damn good CAWs and I found the gameplay to be pretty fun. I don't think I will buy at launch but I will pick it up once the price drops. Especially with Spiderman out and RDR2 coming out. 

I was never all that over the top impressed with CAWs, but I was always playing on the XB1 and I know that the scene is better on the PS4 - but the thing that always bothered me about CAWs boiled down to finding a really good one... and then realizing all the little touches aren't there (music) or would take a while to make and would look inorganic (trons) compared to the rest of the roster. Just having them look and act right is okay in Fire Pro because that's what I expect out of it, but when you put them up against the on-disc guys it just feels diminished for me.

Then again if you're going to buy the game and put all your time into it, I get that too. Going through menus and loading screens just turns into a bit of a pain the 2K games for me so far.

This game has now gone from a definite pass to a possible purchase somewhere down the line. I'll probably only have time for Red Dead Redemption 2 around the time of this game's release, so it was never a day one buy, but I'll now be keeping a keen eye out. If Career and Universe really are as improved as the videos suggest, I'll be a happy camper.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

This game has now gone from a definite pass to a possible purchase somewhere down the line. I'll probably only have time for Red Dead Redemption 2 around the time of this game's release, so it was never a day one buy, but I'll now be keeping a keen eye out. If Career and Universe really are as improved as the videos suggest, I'll be a happy camper.

It's always Universe for me that I keep an eye on. I'll be paying attention to what everyone says here, and if it's looking good, I will probably pick up the game when it drops to half price, just for Universe.

Yeah, I'm going to need to hear a lot of good things before buying this.  I thought last year's looked like it would tide me over in terms of wrestling games and I was bored within a month.  Fire Pro is doing me just fine right now, and with a Promotion/Booker mode DLC set to come out eventually I think I'll be hooked for a long time.