WWE 2K19

Owen

It's not that it needs to be playable for years on end, necessarily. The problem is that so much of their sales pitch is "LOOK WHAT WE ADDED IN THIS YEAR", when they have clearly broken components of the game that need to be fixed. It's the equivalent of me trying to sell a house to someone, having them tell me they'll wait and see what I update before they purchase it... and then all I do is slap a new coat of paint on it, and finish the basement, knowing full well that the roof needs to be replaced and the central air unit is on its' last legs.

For me specifically, the things that draw me in to the WWE games is Universe mode and the roster of talents available. Universe debuted years ago broken as all hell, and all they've been doing to improve it is cosmetic or tiny little fixes that don't affect the major issues. Roster-wise, all you have to do is look at this year's questionable exclusions, no Almas last year, and their use of legends. The legends roster should be expanding every year, and it's been pretty stagnant. On top of that, they're adding in playable characters who aren't in ring attire. That would be fine if we could customize their appearance easily, but that's another issue too. I shouldn't have to use up a CAW slot to create an updated or better or accurate (LANA) attire... especially when CAW slots are limited.

That all being said, good video games stand up (at least for a few years after release). So many people still go back to Here Comes the Pain or No Mercy. So many people are willing to sacrifice graphics and the bells and whistles to have a better experience. At this point in time, the WWE series is like the EA Sports games. Each year, the upgrades are just enough to get you to stop playing the previous year's game, which will be forgotten about by most people, simply because the new one is the old one, but slightly better.

God of War may not be something that you'll play again right away, but in a year or two? Five? Who knows. I definitely replay old games that I've beaten. Batman: Arkham City, Super Mario World, The Last of Us. Even games that I wasn't able to beat, I'll go back to and play again if they were good. Games like Bloodborne and Fallout keep getting rotation when I need something to play.

• Like 1

One thing WWE always does well be it tv or video games, is video packages. 

Anyway, does anybody remember a game called Power Move Pro Wrestling? It was a PS1 wrestling game with fake guys. I never played it. Anyway, it would be cool if a gaming company made a game like that. Just some awesome wrestling game (so a totally down to Earth game swarming with magic robots) but with say 150 fake men and women. Shit, use the Cornellverse. 

I know Fire Pro is available but I’m thinking something with more advanced graphics and presentation. 

• Like 1

Personally I don't even have time to play the games I have now, and with the ever-growing backlog I definitely don't have time to revisit anything. As much as I wish I could. Yearly sports releases, of any genre I don't think are really intended to ever be Game of the Year candidates. I was excited for Fire Pro with all the hype everyone had given it, but it's very much even more limiting than the WWE games that it's supposed to be an alternative to. For the price tag, I sincerely don't think I've gotten my money worth and probably won't. At least with WWE, even if it is same old shit with a different paint job, at least the graphics are amazing and I get to play as my favorites. Even if Universe is flawed, and it is, it's still fun. I've never had any game breaking issues with is, even if a feud means they wrestle every week for months. Hell, as annoying as it is it's accurate to real life. Regarding Almas not being in last year, I remember something I read on here saying he requested to not be in the game if I recall correctly. And yeah it sucks that they took out Ciampa and Kendrick, but it is what it is. If that's the deal breaker for you, don't buy the game. But I dare say the vast majority probably won't.

I don't remember what game it was but a while back in the career mode I remember you'd wrestle in gyms against total randomized CAW types. That was fun. You'd face some people who looked normal and some were just outlandish. And the names were random too I'm pretty sure. Wish they'd do that again.

8 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

One thing WWE always does well be it tv or video games, is video packages. 

Anyway, does anybody remember a game called Power Move Pro Wrestling? It was a PS1 wrestling game with fake guys. I never played it. Anyway, it would be cool if a gaming company made a game like that. Just some awesome wrestling game (so a totally down to Earth game swarming with magic robots) but with say 150 fake men and women. Shit, use the Cornellverse. 

I know Fire Pro is available but I’m thinking something with more advanced graphics and presentation. 

You mean, like 5 Star Wrestling? :shifty:

15 minutes ago, Gazz said:

I really hope 'Possum' is a character trait that allows Australian wrestlers to carry another in a pouch.

Buddy Murphy has a special move where, when in trouble, Wesley Blake climbs out of his pouch and takes out the opponent while Murphy distracts the ref. Then fans start calling at the ref about what's going on, distracting him, and Blake climbs back in, leaving the official unaware of the situation.

I want to know what that Payback is. Have 2k finally added more segment options for Universe?

1 minute ago, Gabriel said:

Buddy Murphy has a special move where, when in trouble, Wesley Blake climbs out of his pouch and takes out the opponent while Murphy distracts the ref. Then fans start calling at the ref about what's going on, distracting him, and Blake climbs back in, leaving the official unaware of the situation.

Would that also apply to The Bushwackers?

30 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Really nice menus though.

Yeah this is the thing that always gets me about their games, presentation gets better and better each year.

At this point, if there was something that would actually make me want to buy - they would probably have announced it by now instead of this stuff that makes you go "oh cool, I need to pre-order" just because it looks cool. And makes you forget it's still the same old thing.

BbjjFtLIMAAoy-6.jpg

5 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

The Bushwhackers were from New Zealand...:P

The wallably problem started in 1870, when just three pairs of Australian Tammar Wallabies were introduced into the South Island, with others later released near Rotorua in the North Island. On Kawau Island in the Hauraki Gulf, near Auckland, Brush-Tailed Rock-Wallabies were released, also in 1870.

But both species have now reached such large numbers, estimated to be in the hundreds of thousands, they are causing damage to the indigenous forests of New Zealand and threatening native birdlife by eating the fruit, seeds and flowers that both depend on

On 14/09/2018 at 04:35, BuddyAwesome said:

Personally I don't even have time to play the games I have now, and with the ever-growing backlog I definitely don't have time to revisit anything. As much as I wish I could. Yearly sports releases, of any genre I don't think are really intended to ever be Game of the Year candidates. I was excited for Fire Pro with all the hype everyone had given it, but it's very much even more limiting than the WWE games that it's supposed to be an alternative to. For the price tag, I sincerely don't think I've gotten my money worth and probably won't. At least with WWE, even if it is same old shit with a different paint job, at least the graphics are amazing and I get to play as my favorites. Even if Universe is flawed, and it is, it's still fun. I've never had any game breaking issues with is, even if a feud means they wrestle every week for months. Hell, as annoying as it is it's accurate to real life. Regarding Almas not being in last year, I remember something I read on here saying he requested to not be in the game if I recall correctly. And yeah it sucks that they took out Ciampa and Kendrick, but it is what it is. If that's the deal breaker for you, don't buy the game. But I dare say the vast majority probably won't.

I don't remember what game it was but a while back in the career mode I remember you'd wrestle in gyms against total randomized CAW types. That was fun. You'd face some people who looked normal and some were just outlandish. And the names were random too I'm pretty sure. Wish they'd do that again.

I was reading a thread on Twitter with someone talking about Fire Pro, and they said similar things to you. Having been a fan of the game for many years, he felt that the price point considering the restricted content was actually fairly damaging in terms of potential sales.

I know people have enjoyed Fire Pro World, but it was an interesting counterpoint.

It's only really limited in the form of match types. In just about every other aspect, it's much more of a sandbox than any WWE game ever has been.