OOTP XX

Draevyn

This is probs a bit of a cliche but I got this game after having read Moneyball during that empty period of nothing during the Christmas holidays. I’ve gone Seattle and I am about 50-55. Not really sure if that’s good or not because I don’t really know how good Seattle are. I’m also not overly familiar with the workings of American sports so I’m not sure if the trades I’ve been doing are particularly good.

How good is the AI assistant GM trade advice? There’s a few times when he’s told me to do a trade that seemed a bit bad to me, and a few times he’s told me not to bother with a trade that seemed great.

Also is there a way I can handle minor league promotions with regards to moving between MLB and the minor leagues and automate transactions between the minor league teams? I don’t really care about the shit guys that are never going to make it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Krabby said:

image.png

Juice schmoose as long as he gets on base. 

4 hours ago, METALMAN said:

This is probs a bit of a cliche but I got this game after having read Moneyball during that empty period of nothing during the Christmas holidays. I’ve gone Seattle and I am about 50-55. Not really sure if that’s good or not because I don’t really know how good Seattle are. I’m also not overly familiar with the workings of American sports so I’m not sure if the trades I’ve been doing are particularly good.

How good is the AI assistant GM trade advice? There’s a few times when he’s told me to do a trade that seemed a bit bad to me, and a few times he’s told me not to bother with a trade that seemed great.

Also is there a way I can handle minor league promotions with regards to moving between MLB and the minor leagues and automate transactions between the minor league teams? I don’t really care about the shit guys that are never going to make it.

Well, the assistant AI is awful. I was trading for Babe Ruth before he got famous. Offered a relief pitcher and they were interested. 

image.png

Ruth's story is legendary. Here's Bert Brenner's illustrious tale:

image.png

So, not good. I generally ignore them. I know what my team needs most of the time, so I just ignore them. The AI is fickle; it'll ignore that 105 home run season Bonds had in the screenshot a couple of posts up and have the owner tell you to get paid of that overpaid veteran. 

Uh, there should be an 'auto setup organization' or something like that. You'll want to view the entire organization, right click on GM actions and it's there. 

Honestly, I'm not a fan of this. Here's what I do:

First, I play with 5 minor league affiliates: Rookie, Short Season A, A, AA, and AAA. I'm not sure what affects shit like A- or A+ or what any of the other variations have on development, but this works for me. 

Rookie level: All international amateurs that have turned 18 by the start of the season (I set it to always start on June 1) and all high school draftees start here, no exception. At the end of the season, they get promoted to Short Season A .

Short Season A: All college level draftees start here. At the end of the season, everyone gets promoted to A. 

A, AA: At this point it's a strict up or out program. I filter the scope to their respective levels, and check their mid season stats (around their all star game); those with an ERA+ above 100 (assuming it's not abnormal) or an OPS+ above 100 generally get promoted. This is the same through AA. They get two chances to make it, otherwise they're trade bait. 

AAA: Top prospects should enter the majors by age 24 to continue development otherwise they'll plateau. 

Your best bet, @METALMAN is to search for guides on Reddit or the OOTP forums, they're pretty educational. I've also found it's worth it to take a bit of time to set up the game world to your liking; while you learn the game it might be best to play with just reserve rosters and then introduce minor leagues as you get more proficient, etc. For instance, I refuse to play with the waiver rule on, but that's me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/01/2023 at 04:39, METALMAN said:

How's your game going? This is my most played video game series of all-time, so if there's anything you're unsure of or need help with, let me know. I'm always happy to talk baseball and/or OOTP.

The AI assistant GM is awful. Do not take his advice on anything trade related.

You can make your assistant GM promote and demote minor leaguers, though I will say you will likely want to "lock" your top 10 or 15 or 20 prospects and move them yourself. I do this with my Top-25 prospects usually. I like to give those top prospects one year at each minor league level, with 18/19 year olds working their way up from the Florida/Dominican leagues, and 21/22 year olds starting at Single-A. If the player has an abysmal year at a level, let him start at the same level the following year, but try to promote him up if he's off to a good start. Keeping a player in a level where they're too good will hurt their development as they won't be challenged.

If you don't care so much about that, you can invest a bunch of money in your development department, hire the best coaches, and let the assistant manager promote/demote at-will, but I've found my prospects develop so much better when I take a hands-on approach. I must admit that I find the minor league roster management/prospect development part of the game to be the most fun, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Charlie Geggus only one season in 1884, and there's barely any information out there about him.  But for whatever reason OOTP's engine always makes him one of the best pitchers of all time in almost every historical re-sim.

You can Google his name along with OOTP and you'll find people from as far back as 2009 marveling at the numbers he put up in their game.  Just kinda funny that they arbitrarily programmed this random guy to be amazing and never changed it.

• Like 1

Damn Spitballers <_<

In other news, I'm thinking that as a way to get around the NPB licensing, I'll just make my own. So I can't use the Chunichi Dragons, but I can sure as hell make the Nagoya Dragons. 

See they're McDonald's. I'm...McDowell's. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 13/04/2023 at 14:02, Krabby said:

What is commissioner mode like for OOTP? Is it pretty fun doing watcher games?

This is pretty much how I do ALL my games. Now, what I mean is, I set up my custom game world, and let the game simulate out a set number of seasons, usually enough to ensure that nobody that played in the league when the game started would still be active. Sometime I'll go as far as 50 seasons simulated before I start. Then I tend to take the historically worst team and build them into an ungodly dynasty. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

"We've been in the tank for a few years, so we decided to overhaul our developmental coaching."

"Oh yeah? How so?"

image.png

• Haha 2

On 08/02/2023 at 15:19, Mick said:

Damn Spitballers <_<

In other news, I'm thinking that as a way to get around the NPB licensing, I'll just make my own. So I can't use the Chunichi Dragons, but I can sure as hell make the Nagoya Dragons. 

See they're McDonald's. I'm...McDowell's. 

So, to follow up on this as I shameless rip off other teams with logos (Because I suck at graphics art and I'm not paying for original shit :shifty: ), first up, the Sapporo Bears: 

HOME:

image.png

AWAY:

image.png

(I misspelled Sapporo :( )

Next: The Nagoya Dragons

HOME: 

image.png

AWAY: 

image.png

Basically, my totally Not NPB League is going to be 12 teams using ripped off logos for the most part; So far as far as I ideas I have the Kobe Bulls (cause Kobe beef :shifty: ), the Osaka Buffalos, and probably a few more. I'll post more as I make them. 

• Like 2