1,001 songs to listen to before you die...

Liam

Tangled Up In Blue is a brilliant song. I'm not actually as enamoured with Blood on the Tracks as many - it probably wouldn't even get in my top 10 Bobb Dylan albums, but TUIB is such a great song. The more stopped back bootleg version from the original album sessions is good too. Sometimes I prefer that version.

For what's it's worth, I prefer Run DMC to Aerosmith (odd comparison to make, huh?) although I'm not really a huge fan of either. But I also far prefer the Aerosmith version. The drums skip along and add to the groove, whereas those in the Run DMC and Aerosmith version bludgeon all the life out of it. We all know the best Walk This Way is the Girls Aloud and Sugababes one though. 😕

Not a huge Pink Floyd fan but Wish You Were Here is a decent song and the album of the same name is without a shadow of a doubt their best album. Always thought it was an Ed Sheeran song though. Didn't realise Pink Floyd covered it for a while

Edited by metalman

Tangled Up In Blue is a great song. Dylan has a real habit of rambling stream of consciousness songwriting that I think is often less deep and meaningful than some people like to think. However when he actually creates a focussed narrative within a song he tends to knock it out of the park.

‘Time of the Preacher’, Willie Nelson (1975)

I’m pretty sure I’ve never heard a full song by Willie Nelson, so I can at least tick that off of the list. This was the opening song of ‘Red Headed Stranger’, a concept album about a preacher who kills his wife and love, and it returns at several other points in some guise. I can’t vouch for the quality of the song compared to others on the album, but it makes sense to incorporate the recurring song of an album that sold several million copies. What I heard, I like – unfussy, with Nelson providing a good narrative delivery.

‘Rimmel’, Francesco De Gregori (1975)

The opening of this song sounds really familiar, as if it is the opening them to some teenage/young adult situation comedy/dramedy. Apparently the bittersweet farewell to a lost love, ‘Rimmel’ was on an album that saw a change in De Gregori’s style, switching from politics to love songs. Sounding like a poppier, Italian Neil Young-type, it isn’t difficult to see why this became a fundamental part of his live shows, alongside several other songs from the album. Pop with a bit of soul.

‘Born to be With You’, Dion (1975)

A Phil Spector production that Dion was largely unhappy with, the album that spawned this song was commercially unsuccessful, yet seemed to have a larger influence many years later with musicians from Primal Scream and Spiritualized speaking highly of it. This was a cover of a song that had been released several times before, whilst also seeing Spector produce one of those versions. Thus, this was him trying to outdo himself. The candor of the lyrics is talked up in the book, whilst the flourishes of the saxophone add to what is already a powerful, if subtle, instrumentation.

• Like 1

Oh I like Red Headed Stranger. But I like it more as an album to just listen to because it has a nice feel. I don't really remember individual songs and none of them really stick out. But Willie Nelson did some good stuff then, he deserves to have something in.

Frsncesco de Gregori is good and I really like that song. They're actually pretty good at those singer-songwriter types, the Italians. Almost makes up for their horrendous trap music.

I had no idea Dion was still going in 1975. I can see why Primal Scream and Spiritualized liked it. Sounds cool.

I've never listened to Red Headed Stranger but I think that's around the time where Willie Nelson's voice is just at a real peak. He's one of the best.

‘Musica ribelle’, Eugenio Finardi (1975)

Influenced by: Mysterious Traveller • Weather Report (1974)  

Influence on: Extraterrestre • Eugenio Finardi (1978) 

Covered by: Luca Carboni (2009)   

Other key tracks: Amore Diverso (1983) • Le ragazze di Osaka (1983) • La forza dell’amore (1990)

This was apparently a big deal upon its release in Italy during 1975 – a stagnant music scene was shaken by this lively take on what I guess is Italian rock. Mixing Italian musical conventions with the style of the British and American rock bands of the time, Finardi created a song about a wave of musical rebellion that he urged. This doesn’t feel aged at all and if anything is a song that I’d struggle to have placed in the 70s at all. Really fun and I can imagine that this blew the cobwebs away for some Italian music fans.

‘Born To Run’, Bruce Springsteen (1975)

Influenced by: Da Doo Ron Ron • The Crystals (1963)  

Influence on: Stuck Between Stations • The Hold Steady (2006)   

Covered by: Frankie Goes to Hollywood (1984) • Suzi Quatro (1995) • Joey Tempest (1998) • The Hollies (1999) • Melissa Etheridge (2001) • Ray Wilson (2002)

Urgency is the word that springs to mind whenever I hear ‘Born To Run’. It starts up and never really lets up – pretty fitting for a song with that title. Originally conceived as part of an aborted concept album idea, this song was toiled over for a long time and at least four different versions exist if the book is to be believed. The time was well spent – this is just excellent rock and roll. It longs to be danced or sung along with, and that, to me, is the very essence of a good rock and roll song. This nails it.

‘Leb’ Wohl’, NEU! (1975)

This is just really cool. The last song on their farewell album – with the song title meaning ‘Farewell’ – NEU! (a band I’ve never heard of, I’ll be honest) mixed ocean waves, hushed vocals and minimal piano to create a beautiful nine minute piece of music. As a way to go out, this is pretty impressive. Everything feels well thought through here, as if they knew exactly what note they wanted to leave things on. It makes me intrigued to go back and check out more, which is praise indeed.

‘Legalize It’, Peter Tosh (1975)

No real surprise what this is about – the former Wailer spends four minutes calling for the legalising of weed. The upbeat rhythm make this a good song to listen to whatever your predilection for smoking marijuana, whilst I particularly like the intermittent female backing vocals that add another little layer to proceedings. Nothing special, but the incorporation of such a clear call for changes to drug legislation is a novel thing at this point in the music journey.

‘(Don’t Fear) The Reaper’, Blue Oyster Cult (1975)

Would I be right in thinking that the SNL sketch ‘More Cowbell’ is more famous than the actual song that begat it? I know it where I first became aware of the song, which says a lot for someone who doesn’t have easy access to SNL. A song that inspired by the guitarist’s fears about dying during a bout of heart trouble, this is an enjoyable song above and beyond the comedy sketch element. The sombreness is always more melancholy than outright sad, whilst the song as a whole has enough hooks to make it stand out.

‘More Than A Feeling’, Boston (1975)

When I was younger, I used to go to watch a local ice hockey team on a Saturday night. Well, I was taken by my Dad and Stepmum. Years later, I heard this on Rock Band and could already place it as a song that was played during intermission or before games. I had no idea what it was, but knew that I enjoyed it and that enjoyment of the song has remained.  As for my attempts to sing it on Rock Band, the highness of the vocals in places are just ridiculous and testament to the impressive range of the lead singer. Amazingly, all the instruments apart from the drums were played by one guy, Tom Scholz. Taking a routine idea about music uplifting you and turning it into something that feels so much more speaks to some great lyrical work as well.

• Like 2

Don't Fear the Reaper is a song I've listened to a lot recently. I hadn't paid much attention to the lyrics until a little while ago, but I can now see why some people thought it was about a suicide pact.

More Than a Feeling isn't my favourite Boston song, but it's definitely their most famous. It was also a significant part of Nirvana's biggest hit too. I know I'm in a minority on here as a fan of this kind of music.

Oh man, I was never a huge fan of Springsteen but I'm happy that he was around because - as it alludes in the "influence on" - I don't think The Hold Steady would've existed without him coming first.

Boston was one of my dad's favorite bands, and I remember buying him a vinyl of that album for father's day once - but holy shit, I never realized until just now when I looked at the top comment on the Peace of Mind video that the spaceship on that album cover is a guitar. 

Peter Tosh has much better songs than "Legalize It" but it's easy to see why that song would get picked for this list. Especially it being from 1975.

Springsteen does not have better songs than "Born to Run", it's a rock classic. It's one of the few songs equally revered by an artist's diehard fans as well as casual fans who only hear Springsteen in passing. Sometimes I tell myself I like "Badlands" or "Thunder Road" more, but that's not really the case.

Boston are definitely one of the better arena rock style bands out there. It's not a sound I'm really into but Boston are immediately recognizable and produced some of the best music in that era.

I love NEU. They are great. All their music just sounds great.

More Than A Feeling is good. I generally don't really like those cheesy mid to late 70s American rock bands. You know, Kansas, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Journey and that kind of thing. It really is just a load of shite. But Boston are an exception, and More Than A Feeling is a fun tune.

Oh I guess Blüë Öystër Cült are another exception too, but I only actually know that song. I quite like it though.

Peter Tosh is good and I like that entire album. I'm not sure what one I'd pick if I had to put one in this book, so that's fair enough.

Ah Springsteen. Springsteen, Springsteen, Springsteen, Springsteen. He's quite a limited songwriter, isn't he? Far too often he confuses barking something out with an interesting melody. In spite of that he has more than a few diamonds. He's best represented in a book of this nature though, because in spite of what the diehards say he's never really put together an album that manages to be interesting and consistent all the way though. Born To Run is an excellent rollercoaster rude of tune though. Great sax solo too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, metalman said:

I generally don't really like those cheesy mid to late 70s American rock bands. You know, Kansas, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Journey and that kind of thing. It really is just a load of shite. 

You're making me feel bad. I like all those bands.

Okay, I don't want to make you feel bad! So I'm going to wind back a little bit. I think I was being a bit too brash (I didn't have my breakfast today).

I like a handful of songs by these bands but wouldn't really listen to them extensively or on repeat. Whereas I wouldn't really mind doing that with Boston.

‘Sir Duke’, Stevie Wonder (1976)

This one made me laugh as I was very much ‘I don’t know this song’ until I played it and then was ‘oh yeah, this song’. It is a mixture of the brass and Wonder’s melodious vocals that make this so catchy, with a chorus hook that is hard not to get out of your head. This was written as a tribute to Duke Ellington and if the quality of the song is any indication of the quality of the tribute, this one is up there with the best.

‘The Killing of Georgie (Part I and II)’, Rod Stewart (1976)

Apparently based on a true story about a man who used to shadow the Faces when in New York, a man who had been shunned by his family for his life choices, this tackles a challenging subject. Some of the musical ‘stuff’ for lack of a better way of putting it in this book I have to take at face value when I don’t really know enough about the artist, so reportedly this came at a time when Stewart was making a push for more mainstream success. With that in mind, this was a bold song. To give Stewart his credit, this could have been trite and poorly judged, but the story is told in a fashion that doesn’t make light of the situation nor uses it for shock value.

‘Dancing Queen’, ABBA (1976)

Influenced by: Rock Your Baby • George McCrae (1974)

Influence on: Love to Hate You • Erasure (1991)   

Covered by: Garageland (1995) • Kylie Minogue (1998) • S Club 7 (1999) • CoCo Lee (1999) • Sixpence None the Richer (1999) • The Ten Tenors (2006)

I genuinely don’t think there are a better group or even artist who wrote better ‘pop’ music than ABBA did. Whilst this isn’t amongst my absolute favourites by them – mainly due to it being somewhat ubiquitous and overplayed – it is a perfect indication of what they offered the music world. The piano, the vocals and the strings all add together to create something fundamentally enjoyable in my opinion. This was also their only number 1 hit in the US, showing that it was perhaps the song that had most drawing power amongst their sizeable catalogue of singles.

‘Blitzkrieg Bop’, The Ramones (1976)

Influenced by: Saturday Night • Bay City Rollers (1976)   

Influence on: St. Jimmy • Green Day (2004)   

Covered by: Screeching Weasel (1992) • Yo La Tengo (1996) • Poison Idea (1996) • The Kids (2002) • Rob Zombie (2003) • Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros (2001) • The Beautiful South (2004)

Is there a better band at capturing the spirit of what rock and roll perhaps should be about than The Ramones? The idea that pretty much anyone could get up, play a guitar and sing, making wonderful, loud and noisy music. Fun and stupid in equal measure, this was apparently inspired by the Bay City Rollers song ‘Saturday Night’, with the Ramones wanting their own song with a chanting section in it. No airs or graces, this is just dumb fun and all the better for it.

‘Love Hangover’, Diana Ross (1976)

Apparently, Ross (and her record label) was sceptical about the new wave of disco music that had seen her edged out of the spotlight, yet was convinced to do the song and produced a sultry, sexy eight minute slice of what she was capable of. The studio was decked out like a disco, whilst Ross had several drinks of Remy Martin to overcome her nerves and concerns. It is an interesting song as it doesn’t really kick in to the ‘disco part’ until almost halfway through, but that is to the song’s benefit, as it allows Ross more time to vocally sashay her way around the lyrics.

‘Cokane In My Brain’, Dillinger (1976)

Depending on where you look, the song gets listed as either ‘Cokane’ or ‘Cocaine’, though I’m thinking the book might have – for some reason – been making it a little bit tamer. The lyrics are pretty ambiguous, though the main hook gives it something to hang everything on. I don’t have a lot to say about this. It is enjoyable enough, but I feel one for the era that it was created in. It also apparently had quite a big impact on areas such as US hip-hop as well as having acid house and drum and bass remixes.

• Like 1

‘(I’m) Stranded’, The Saints (1976)

The desire for the book to incorporate a number of Australian bands whether they feel worthy or not does have me feeling somewhat sceptical about another act from Down Under. I shouldn’t worry as this is a good song from a band who went on to influence acts such as Nick Cave and Henry Rollins. That such aggression can come from Australia feels odd for someone like me whose experience of life there being mostly led by what I see on Neighbours. However, at a time when police brutality and government corruption were an issue, this was a song of barely repressed aggression about the system. There is a hookiness to everything that elevates this song – at base, it is a good rock song with a crunchier, rougher sound.

‘Hotel California’, Eagles (1976)

The song that launched one thousand and one school talent shows, my own personal interest in the song is crippled by the amount of times I’ve heard barely pubescent teenagers struggle to wring some life out of it In some ways, this is a shame because before that, I had a genuine enjoyment of this tune, even with my general apathy to Eagles. Kids like to play it because it is pretty simplistic, yet sounds cool in execution. I feel the lyrics are the key component that also draws the students to cover it – it sounds really dark and deep in a way that speaks to the sensibilities of the young. To be quite honest, I was young when my enjoyment of this song was at its peak, quite probably for exactly the same reason.

‘Roadrunner’, The Modern Lovers (1976)

This is a weird addition to the ‘driving songs’ oeuvre as it focuses on a Boston ringroad that the writer, Jonathan Richman, lived a ten minute drive from. A fan of the Velvet Underground, Richman managed to connect with John Cale in particular, who produced this song. There is a weird mix here of a song that has pace and forward momentum, yet doesn’t really feel like it gets anywhere. Probably exactly what you are looking for from an ode to a ringroad. Richman’s vocals are languid in their delivery for the most part, which may work for some more than others.

• Like 1

The late 70s to early 80s is one of my go to eras in terms of music. I like the modern lovers and the saints and while I've heard Blitzkrieg Bop a million times I still like the song. I'm mostly curious to see if we'll see a couple more Ramones songs in this since this one was a given. Plenty of candidates.

On the other hand, my girlfriend basically loathes Hotel California. We all have a few songs we can't stand for whatever reason. I don't mind it but I don't care enough to make her suffer so I hadn't heard the full song in forever. I did it now just to keep the challenge going, though. :P

• Like 1

Love Hangover is brilliant. Diana Ross had so many good songs around that period of time.

Dancing Queen is often labelled the best pop song ever. It's definitely up there.

Part one of the Rod Stewart song is great but part two is a bit of a dirge. it's alleged to be the first commercially successful pro-gay rights song, and perhaps from quite a surprising source. So that's something. And yeah, this is very much big mainstream push Rod Stewart, which is generally defined as everything he did post-Sailing. Which is kind of odd, because he was hardly unknown beforehand. In any case, his three "classic" albums were long gone by this point. He'd do the odd good song afterwards, but so so much rubbish as well.

Blitzkrieg Bob is, to use a tiresome cliche, lightning in a bottle. It still sounds exhilarating to this day.

I like the rest of the songs from these last two sets (yes, even Hotel California - good guitar solo) but don't have particularly strong feelings for any of them.

Edited by metalman

Genuinely one of the funnier "how did this spring from this?" stories to me Jonathan Richman's origin story being that he was a superfan of the Velvets and then once he went on to start making music himself he made stuff that overlaps with precisely 3% of their songs' subject matter. Just seemingly the most happy-go-lucky dude in music. He wrote a song about them that boils down to "gosh, what a neat band they were! Kinda spooky, but fun!"

• Like 1