EWB's Favorite Movie 2019: The Voting Thread

GoGo Yubari

Look, when I said I wasn't doing this one anymore I really wasn't banking on a global pandemic putting my job on standby for two months. Let's, uh. Let's do this one again. Here's your rules:

1. You will be fielding a list of your top ten films of the year. Voting, of course, goes like so; list the films from 1 to 10, the show you listed at 1 gets ten points, the show you listed at 2 gets nine points, and so on. That being said, if you didn't watch ten movies (or ten movies you actually liked enough to vote for) feel free to just leave the rest of your ballot blank once you run out. That is totally valid!

2. The films had to be released (and that's wide release, not just appearing in a film festival) in their country of origin in 2019. This is going to lead to some sort of irritating loophole I have to ignore but I always try to stick to this rule as best I can anyway.

3. You don't need to tell me you've edited your list up until I post saying that voting is closed, because that's when I'll start tallying everything. Then if you really, really want to make a change you should probably let me know.

Voting will be open for at least ten days, maybe up to two weeks, so if there's a movie or two from last year you've been meaning to get around to, you've got time. Happy voting! My list will be up today.

1. Parasite
2. The Irishman
3. Marriage Story
4. Little Women
5. Uncut Gems
6. Booksmart
7. The Farewell
8. Midsommar
9. Portrait of a Lady on Fire
10.  Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood

honorable mentions: Knives Out, Us, Avengers: Endgame, Ready or Not, El Camino, and Jojo Rabbit. I thought last year was an incredibly strong year for movies, really.

10 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I liked it but I already feel like a philistine because I won't be putting Parasite as number one :P 

everyone likes what they like but also tbf i don't think i've even seen enough 2019 movies to fill out the whole list yet so i don't exactly have a lot to work with :P

Ruki's post + the 2019 in film article on Wikipedia has reminded me that I saw way more movies than I thought last year,

1. El Camino
2. Spider-Man: Far From Home
3. Avengers: Endgame
4. Star Wars IX
5. It: Chapter 2

I still need to see Captain Marvel, The Irishman, Knives Out, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, and A Beautiful Day In The Day Neighborhood. Uncut Gems as well. 

• Like 1

1. Portrait of a Lady On Fire
2. Midsommar
3. Avengers: End Game
4. Uncet Gems 
5. The Farewell
6. Her Smell
7. Corpus Christi
8. Booksmart
9. Marriage Story
10. Parasite

special mentions: Little Women, The Chambermaid

2019 was one of the best years for film in recent memory for me, especially because it gave us Portrait of a Lady on Fire, which is outright one the best movies I've ever seen.

Edited by Jimmy

Ohhhhh yeah, I should probably watch Marriage Story and Eighth Grade as well. I heard those were good. Marriage Story is on Netflix, isn't it?

1 hour ago, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

Ohhhhh yeah, I should probably watch Marriage Story and Eighth Grade as well. I heard those were good. Marriage Story is on Netflix, isn't it?

It is! Definitely watch Eighth Grade as well, which I think is on prime? Or at least available to rent. I've never cringed so much at a film or experienced onscreen embarrassment alongside a character in the way that I did during that movie. iIs depiction of awkwardness genuinely rings true. 

Edited by Jimmy

1. Jojo Rabbit
  2. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  3. Parasite
  4. Portrait of a Lady on Fire
  5. Little Women
  6. 1917
  7. Rocketman
  8. Knives Out
  9. Midsommar
  10. Booksmart

Lots of good movies last year. Movies that didn't make my list: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, Marriage Story, The Lighthouse, El Camino, Us, Joker, The Irishman, Avengers: End Game, Toy Story 4, Captain Marvel, It Chapter Two

In order from number one through ten...

Midsommar (Gabe's 2019 Film of the Year)

Avengers: Endgame

Ready or Not

Us

Rocketman

Eli

Toy Story 4

Spider-Man: Far From Home

Daniel Isn't Real

Pet Sematary

Notable Horror I Would Recommend: Brightburn ... The Girl on the Third Floor... 3 From Hell ... Curse of La Llarona ... The Prodigy ... Happy Death Day 2U ... Haunt ... Velvet Buzzsaw ... Satanic Panic ... The Fanatic

I haven't seen it yet, but Rabid would be on my recommended list as well. The Soska Sisters are brilliant and I love them.

EDIT: Lists like this are always tough though, too... there is still a lot from 2019 that I want to see, and haven't had the opportunity yet. It: Chapter 2 and Rabid are great examples of that.

Edited by Gabriel