Ty Schmit (Pat McAfee’s producer) claiming he’s heard from a reliable source that Yamamoto is a Yankee for 9 years at $326 million.  Nearly an identical contract to Cole.

He’s a Yankee fan and I don’t think he’d blatantly troll about something like this. He’s gonna get a lot of shit on the McAfee Show if he’s wrong. So I’m willing to believe he does have a source he trusts. But that doesn’t mean the source is right.

If 9/326 really is the deal that gets it done it virtually confirms to me he weighed prestige over money because Cohen absolutely offered him more than that.

Mets offered him $325 million over 12 years.  Yamamoto took it back to the Dodgers who matched and that was that.

So yep.  Cohen was used simply to get the bidding up to the team he wanted to go to.  Not surprised but it still sucks.  David Stearns’ MO is building a competitive team without ever having a sexy offseason and that’s pretty much what he’s gonna have to do here.  Still sucks.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Krabby said:

@Busch Wyatt at what point does Cohen just say "name your price to sign right now" instead of throwing out numbers and doing the work for the other teams?

There’s a contingent of Mets bloggers largely reaming Cohen for exactly this.  Yes, he took the steps to fly out to Japan to meet him.  Yes, he had Yamamoto over for dinner at his house.  Yes, he offered Yamamoto the largest contract for a pitcher in the history of baseball.

But his “failing” in this case is that he didn’t offer even more from the jump.  Basically he needs to realize that nobody really wants to play for the Mets and that won’t change until they prove they can become a consistent winner and not constantly being a laughing stock 8 out of 10 years.

So that means you have to spend a lot of money to talk guys into coming here.  Like…a lot of money.  In the eyes of these bloggers, Cohen blew it by not just laying down a $375-400 million offer from the jump.  Billionaires don’t often make money by bidding against themselves, which he basically would’ve been putting out a number like that…but when you’re a shit team and leave your offer in a range a much better team will match, you’ll get burned.

17 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

So we all hate the Dodgers right?

Definitely.  This is shaping up to be the biggest “win the WS or it was a huge failure and everyone should point and laugh at them” season since the 2000s Yankees.

Ultimately if David Stearns is the wunderkind executive he’s portrayed to be, he should be able to build a consistently competitive ball club without the histrionics, having to pay for aging mercenaries, or having to build a super team.  Build a good team the old fashioned way and build up sustainability from within.

Of course, I can’t bring myself to just blindly believe this will happen because A) it’s the Mets and B) the same exact thing was said about Chaim Bloom in Boston and that was a spectacular failure

I'll say this. If you build from the farm as a big market team you're basically guaranteed 100 wins a season. For all the big FA moves that's how LA operates - the big signings are to improve where they can the farm is used to trade for stars or if they're really good held onto.

Not to mention that LA made some great moves for castoffs over the years like Turner and Muncy.

That's gotta be how Stearns works in Queens.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:

I'll say this. If you build from the farm as a big market team you're basically guaranteed 100 wins a season. For all the big FA moves that's how LA operates - the big signings are to improve where they can the farm is used to trade for stars or if they're really good held onto.

Not to mention that LA made some great moves for castoffs over the years like Turner and Muncy.

That's gotta be how Stearns works in Queens.

Stop it! We hate them and they are ugly and they stink! :angry: 

• Like 1

Wander Franco's been dodging law enforcement seeking to bring him into court for questioning.  Dude knows he's done for.

Imagine being a Rays fan.  Yes, they're great at building a winning club year over year.  But as a fan it's still gotta be grating to know that most of your top players will be there 5 years tops before getting traded because they won't pay anyone.  Tough to form an emotional attachment to a player when you run your team that way.

Then they find a young star whose ceiling seems like it'll be a perennial top 10/borderline MVP candidate.  They actually pay someone, locking said star up for his entire prime.  At long last, you have someone you know will be there for the long haul.  Just imagine how many Rays fans felt like they could finally go buy a player jersey since there was no concern his time with the team would be short lived.

And now those jerseys may as well be set on fire because he's a disgusting piece of shit and his career's basically over at 22.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Sale had a 4.30 ERA last season, so I'm not exactly upset he was traded.

I can tell you this from the game I went to in September: The Red Sox needs to acquire better middle relievers ASAP.

For what it's worth he was closer to 3.00 the last half of the season. You have to count on him to be a 4-5 inning pitcher and hope he stays healthy, and with Atlanta's current rotation that's exactly what they needed to add.

2 hours ago, gunnar hendershow said:

For what it's worth he was closer to 3.00 the last half of the season. You have to count on him to be a 4-5 inning pitcher and hope he stays healthy, and with Atlanta's current rotation that's exactly what they needed to add.

You're right, but I definitely think the Red Sox may have gotten the better end of the trade. When I went to Fenway back in September, there were plenty of Sale jerseys and t-shirts at the team store, while most of the other players were either sold out or close to. 

• 3 weeks later...

Team officials from the Athletics met with officials from the LHM group here in Utah yesterday to talk about the A's playing in Utah for a couple of years while waiting for the Las Vegas stadium. I would so be down for some MLB in Utah and hopefully it could lead to an expansion team shortly after.

• Like 1

On 29/12/2023 at 10:07, Busch Wyatt said:

Wander Franco's been dodging law enforcement seeking to bring him into court for questioning.  Dude knows he's done for.

Imagine being a Rays fan.  Yes, they're great at building a winning club year over year.  But as a fan it's still gotta be grating to know that most of your top players will be there 5 years tops before getting traded because they won't pay anyone.  Tough to form an emotional attachment to a player when you run your team that way.

Then they find a young star whose ceiling seems like it'll be a perennial top 10/borderline MVP candidate.  They actually pay someone, locking said star up for his entire prime.  At long last, you have someone you know will be there for the long haul.  Just imagine how many Rays fans felt like they could finally go buy a player jersey since there was no concern his time with the team would be short lived.

And now those jerseys may as well be set on fire because he's a disgusting piece of shit and his career's basically over at 22.

• Sad 2