Summer Transfer Window 2023

Lineker

16 hours ago, FLiam said:

I think I read that Kane’s Mrs is giving birth within a few weeks. Maybe that could be a factor in him having reservations?

Smash cut to the 2046 World Cup where Bobby Kane scores the winner for Germany versus England in the semi-finals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I gave up really being invested in the Caicedo saga (or any other specific names) a couple of weeks ago, in a "yeah sure just wake me up when we sign a midfielder" way. I honestly couldn't tell you the different credentials of Caicedo vs. Lavia vs. Adams vs. Whomever Else, let alone how that relates to their transfer value, because I am an ignorant sop who pays very little attention to the outside footballing world.

(Probably when we're 6 weeks into the season and I've actually been able to watch/assess the midfielders we have, I'll have a more rounded opinion, but that'll have to wait.)

So really my only thoughts on this Caicedo deal here are:

a) Kind of glad it's not us giving Brighton more stupid money, what with me still being a bit bitter for how much we got fleeced on Cucurella.

b) £110m? (Or even any c.£100m fee as previously floated) I understood Enzo being £105m because WC winner and January window and Chelsea in bloody crisis. I understood Rice also being £105m because English tax and London rival and interest in him has been brewing for a few years. I don't understand this for Caicedo, except (as is inevitably the case) 'because they could'.

c) lol poor impoverished Klopp

• Like 1

I'm surprised to see Liverpool bid so much but also not? They pay out when they really want to and signing players when they didnt seem to be in for them is not unusual for them.

Transfers seem like theyre very complicated, have tonnes of moving parts, and vary on a case by case basis.

I'd not put much stock in any managers pronouncements about transfers either. They're just going to say whats useful at the time.

You will all be glad to know I have heard of this guy though.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

He doesn't hold a candle to hollier than thou Eddie Howe who's never been a hypocrite at all in his life :)

Yeah true, Eddie once drove 31mph in a 30. Once he realised, he voluntarily handed his licence into the police and now Jason Tindall has to pick him up every morning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Yeah true, Eddie once drove 31mph in a 30. Once he realised, he voluntarily handed his licence into the police and now Jason Tindall has to pick him up every morning.

Heard Eddie ends up spends hours in supermarkets helping people carry their shopping. Klopp just gets all the trollies and tips them over so people can't use them.

1 minute ago, Adam said:

Spurs have apparently said this isn't true, and that all is proceeding as expected with the transfer.

That just reminds me of when we were meant to be getting Simao and he was sat on a plane and the deal fell through

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lineker said:

Liverpool should be delighted with Caicedo but really could have stumped that up originally for Bellingham, so...

We could have, yes, but Bellingham also made it clear he wanted to go to Real Madrid, and unlike Chelsea, Madrid were actually ready, willing, & Gable (throwback!) to pay the transfer fee required swiftly. It's not the same scenario.

At the end of it all, we definitely overpaid for Caicedo, just as we would have been overpaying for Lavia. Thankfully though, he's already very good and not even in his prime yet, and Caicedo is probably twice the player Lavia is right now.

With these new signings... Guys! It's our year!!!

25 minutes ago, damhausen said:

Surely an Arsenal side that more or less ran out of steam last year and have improved for this season are City's biggest threat. I would pick Liverpool for a comfortable top 4 finish, but still wouldn't be supremely confident they've fully corrected the sometimes shaky defense.

The test for Arsenal is if they can repeat last year with added Champions League football and without the momentum of being a bit of a surprise package.

11 minutes ago, FestiveJack said:

Liverpool not being willing to spend 50 million on Lavia but willing to spend however much on Caicedo is certainly a choice.

I guess they just didn't want Lavia that badly.

EDIT: This all has real transfer deadline days of the mid-2000s vibes. Caicedo should do like  Peter Odemwingie and just drive to the training ground of the club he really wants to sign for.

• Haha 2

Surely if that report on Caicedo is in any way accurate, Chelsea should stick to whatever their bid was going to be and not match the £111m or whatever it is.

But who knows. I'm always dubious about really how determined players are when this sort of thing is reported.