Paul Reubens, Pee-wee Herman Actor, Dies at 70 After Private Bout of Cancer

Ruki

I'm not sure if Pee-Wee Herman really crossed over to this side of the Atlantic really?

He was an influential performer though that's pretty clear by the number of comedians I like who are posting about him right now

yeah not sure what happened there, it was meant to be the one after. I was going to change it anyway as I decided to share his You Don't Know Jack gig because he really nailed that and I think it's a bit less known than Mystery Men

3 hours ago, Hobo said:

I'm not sure if Pee-Wee Herman really crossed over to this side of the Atlantic really?

He was an influential performer though that's pretty clear by the number of comedians I like who are posting about him right now

Dunno, my dad basically dressed as him at my wedding. He still doesn't know.

There was definitely a bit of a spell when he was on UK TV (possibly on Sky, Nickelodeon or similar maybe?)  so I had some awareness even pre Mystery Men. He had that weird incident a while back that I'm scared to remind myself of, but he was pretty funny for a fairly one note character comic, and there's some nice stuff being said by his contemporaries.

10 hours ago, Colly said:

Dunno, my dad basically dressed as him at my wedding. He still doesn't know.

There was definitely a bit of a spell when he was on UK TV (possibly on Sky, Nickelodeon or similar maybe?)  so I had some awareness even pre Mystery Men. He had that weird incident a while back that I'm scared to remind myself of, but he was pretty funny for a fairly one note character comic, and there's some nice stuff being said by his contemporaries.

I didn't have Sky as a kid so that would have passed me by. Although I have a vague memory of my cousins (who did have satellite TV) talking about Pee Wee Herman. They might have even shown me part of Pee Wee's Big Adventure. It was so long ago I barely remember it.

Another part of my childhood gone too soon. :crying: Grew up with Pee-Wee's Playhouse, there was nothing quite like it on TV. Such a unique but gifted performer and if it wasn't for his first movie, we may not have gotten Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare Before Christmas etc. Pee-Wee's Big Adventure helped put Tim Burton on the map. RIP to another comedy legend, you will be missed, but your contributions will never be forgotten. Thank you Paul Reubens. 

• Like 2